Westwood

Just been looking at the preview of the Ireland game tonight and one the biggest questions being asked is who Martin O'Neill will pick in goal - David Forde or Shay Given.

What the actual fudgery is that all about? How is Westwood third choice?!

Just been looking at the preview of the Ireland game tonight and one the biggest questions being asked is who Martin O'Neill will pick in goal - David Forde or Shay Given.

What the actual fudgery is that all about? How is Westwood third choice?!

dont care but long may it continue dont want our best player risking injury in internationals

Being Irish myself, I find this incredibly hard to believe. On the drive home from work, they had 4 former internationals debating who should be ireland number one. Not one of them mentioned Westwood.

Forde is a great goalkeeper after he's conceded a goal! And Given has only played one or two games this season. Westwood has played every league game bar one for Wednesday and kept 17 (?) clean sheets. No brainer really.

Only reason I can see him not being picked is that his last full international for Ireland, he conceded 6 against Germany. None were his fault though. If this keeps up, I would retire if I was him.

dont care but long may it continue dont want our best player risking injury in internationals

I don't agree with this in the slightest...any player wants to play for his country and by doing so make them better and want more. Westwood will be gutted he's not their number 1.

He could get injured at any time to be fair. How many players get injured in training or even in freak incidents?? To not want him to be his countries number 1 is a terrible attitude IMO

Completely bizarre.

Forde is the keeper for a team who have conceded 64 goals this season. They're heading down.

We have conceded the same amount of goals as top of the table Bournemouth. Surely the facts speak for themselves.

Unless O'Neil has some sort of issue with Westwood as a person, then I don't understand at all!

Yes: This is real. Westwood is a very good keeper, but does have mistakes in him. IE. 2nd goal @ Rovrum last week was his fault: end off. & he's 3rd choice Irish keeper according to people who know a lot more about football than you or me. Get over it.

so would you rather have forde/given over westwood?

Heres me thinking it was Dielnas fault

Dielna was awful wasnt he tbf, literally let Derbyshire walk past him in the first half then for the second same again.

Id expect Westwood to have saved it though after some stuff ive seen him stop this year, however his view may have been obscured.

Yes: This is real. Westwood is a very good keeper, but does have mistakes in him. IE. 2nd goal @ Rovrum last week was his fault: end off. & he's 3rd choice Irish keeper according to people who know a lot more about football than you or me. Get over it.

You are talking utter swill.

Forde has plenty of mistakes in him and given barely plays.

Westwood has kept 17 clean sheets this season for a mid table championship side, but you reference one mistake (which wasn't actually his error) as proof that he has more mistakes in him than given or Forde?

O'neill is on the verge of being sacked, and Keane has been a failure as a manager everywhere he's been. Hardly accurate to say that they know more than anybody else about football.

If westwood had kept 17 clean sheets in the prem, or for one of the top champ teams, he'd probably get more notice.

Ok the defence make blunders, But in goalkeepings terms, Any keeper who lets a goal in @ his near post is not worh his salt. A qoute from a very famous top goalkeeping coach.

One goal

17 clean sheets

Not difficult to balance up really

The other two are still better pal. Or Westwood would be Irish no:1 & be in prem. cant argue wi that can ya pal.

Westwood is the form keeper. A year ago when he wasn't playing, you couldn't argue he was Irelands first choice.

But you can't argue that Forde or given are in better form than westwood, and international teams should really be looking at form not previous when picking their teams