Stuart Gray's unwanted players

Granted, Gray has done well. But shouldn't we now start going for players that teams want???

Other teams probably would have liked the 3 players mentioned above, but for whatever reason couldn't compete, or weren't quick enough to get them. I am certain every League 1 and 2 club would have jumped at the chance to sign any of these players for instance, but it was unrealistic. Buying a player from a club, who wants to retain that player, doesn't necessarily make them any better does it?

Squads are so big nowadays and manager turnover is so high that the team tactics are ever changing, with that comes a need for different types of player and subsequently good players then fall out of favour.

I have absolutely no issue picking up other teams unwanted players if they are of the same calibre as Lees, Westwood and McGugan.

Adding a £3million price tag and having a bit of a tug of war in the press doesn't guarantee that player will be a success.

Squads are so big nowadays and manager turnover is so high that the team tactics are ever changing, with that comes a need for different types of player and subsequently good players then fall out of favour.

I have absolutely no issue picking up other teams unwanted players if they are of the same calibre as Lees, Westwood and McGugan.

Adding a £3million price tag and having a bit of a tug of war in the press doesn't guarantee that player will be a success.

Yeah, totally agree.

Money doesn't equal success in this league. It just contributes towards it. Buying the right players and putting together a compatible team...that will equal success.

If we continue to rejuvenate careers then I'm all for that. Lees and McGugan are shrewd signings. They're top end championship quality but wouldn't look out of place in a lower end premier league team.

We definitely need to spend money this summer. But look at Fulham. They spent 11m on a striker and they're not better off for it.

Money doesn't equal success in this league. It just contributes towards it. Buying the right players and putting together a compatible team...that will equal success.

If we continue to rejuvenate careers then I'm all for that. Lees and McGugan are shrewd signings. They're top end championship quality but wouldn't look out of place in a lower end premier league team.

We definitely need to spend money this summer. But look at Fulham. They spent 11m on a striker and they're not better off for it.

He has scored 2 more goals than Nuhiu, which either put Nuhius value at around £9M, or McCormacks at "thas had wull pulled o'er thee eyes". 10 points worse off than us too.

I agree though we do need to spend money, but like you said FO, shrewd signings, not marquee ones. I really don't get (OvO)s' comment. Or the 3 question marks used!!!

Spot on Herb. Well said.

I would rather pick up 11 not wanted players on a free like these 3 than spend £10m on players "wanted" by their parent club.

Aldridge got a big job on his hands in the summer not to get fleeced by clubs. Watford could bump up the price of McGugan. Simply cause:

1. They know how important he is to us

2. He has attracted interest from other clubs

3. They know we have been taken over amd have money to spend.

4. Dont need him off their books financially

Question is how much is too much?

Edited by Robert Thomas Bull

Guest TommyTank

Problem we have with McGugan and this is why we should have done it in January, most contracts signed in the Championship are with a promotion pay rise.

We could find ourselves priced out If Watford go up.

Problem we have with McGugan and this is why we should have done it in January, most contracts signed in the Championship are with a promotion pay rise.

We could find ourselves priced out If Watford go up.

Yeah that could be a worry. I don't understand why, rather than splash the money on those players in January, we didn't, first try to secure McGugan permanently Edited by gurujuan

Guest TommyTank

Yeah that could be a worry. I don't understand why, rather than splash the money on those players in January, we didn't, first try to secure McGugan permanently

Yep, Maybe before ratification Milan didn't want to make such an expensive commitment, i get it but it could mean we lose out.

Guest TommyTank

Erm no.  If they want them then they wont sell them.  We've not exactly got the pulling power of Real Madrid

This is the problem we have now, some of our fanbase are talking like we are the big fish in the Championship with this investment.

However, we are yet to see any proof that we will even become competitive with the top 6.

Many are sprinting like F'k but in reality we have only just got back to our feet, maybe we start to walk first and maybe by the end of next season we will be breaking into a jog.

Agree with Herb. Lees is a classic example of this. Hockaday comes in and wants footballing centre halfs so they let a bloody good defender go only to sack their manager weeks later.

DJ said a simar thing about Batth and that was why we weren't that interested in signing him.

Mcgugan is another good example as is Another Watford midfielder, Fabrini.

Agree with Herb. Lees is a classic example of this. Hockaday comes in and wants footballing centre halfs so they let a bloody good defender go only to sack their manager weeks later.

DJ said a simar thing about Batth and that was why we weren't that interested in signing him.

Mcgugan is another good example as is Another Watford midfielder, Fabrini.

It's crazy isn't it. Clubs changing their whole ethos and approach every 10 months with a new manager.

I really hope we choose a DoF that believes in a certain style and approach that will be consistent regardless of who the manager/head coach is.

The days of sweeping changes every Summer should be gone after this one.