Craig Noone

Just don't see why there is no middle ground. I do think there will be some extremely disappointed fans come the summer but I think we will also bring in some very good frees and spend a few million on a couple of players. Not going crazy but somewhere between 3-5million. That's not unrealistic in the slightest

Just don't see why there is no middle ground. I do think there will be some extremely disappointed fans come the summer but I think we will also bring in some very good frees and spend a few million on a couple of players. Not going crazy but somewhere between 3-5million. That's not unrealistic in the slightest

Spot on.

Spot on.

Don't get some current Wednesday fans. It's like they want us to be scraping the barrel and refuse to believe we might sign some quality.

Take Matt Ritchie as an example. If Bournemouth go up he may or may not figure in their premiership team (a bit like Chris Wood) yet some claim we would have no chance

Ritchie has had 1 or maybe 2 seasons top in the championship though you would think it was like signing Bale to some.

Why would you buy a club for over 37 million pounds of your own personal money and not be ambitious in your first proper transfer window?

I think there is as much chance of being surprised as disappointed. You just have to realistic in who we could go for.

Don't get some current Wednesday fans. It's like they want us to be scraping the barrel and refuse to believe we might sign some quality.

Take Matt Ritchie as an example. If Bournemouth go up he may or may not figure in their premiership team (a bit like Chris Wood) yet some claim we would have no chance

Ritchie has had 1 or maybe 2 seasons top in the championship though you would think it was like signing Bale to some.

Why would you buy a club for over 37 million pounds of your own personal money and not be ambitious in your first proper transfer window?

I think there is as much chance of being surprised as disappointed. You just have to realistic in who we could go for.

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me?

I do think we will be signing better quality this season than we have for ...well... 15 years? However, that doesn't mean we need to spend 20 million quid either. Sign a few frees like Westwood and a few nominal fee players like Lees. That leaves room to splash on some top shelf milk-tray types who are still under contract. I've said before I wouldn't be surprised to see us spend up to 8 million this summer. But, as has been said ad nauseum the fact a player is available for free doesn't make them rubbish. I think it's much more important for us to compete for wages than transfer fees IMHO, and of course I would expect us to be targetting the weaker areas of our squad to build on what is currently a pretty solid defence.

Edited by themaskedowl

It doesn't matter if we've got 20 million to spend, the cold hard fact is if a team gets promoted to the premier league why would one of its best players suddenly want to up sticks, move to a totally different area and drop back down a level?

If Bournemouth get promoted then Matt Ritchie and Callum Wilson will get every opportunity to show their worth in the top flight, just as Danny Ings and Charlie Austin have done this season.

For all we know, they could be a success at that level too and have the likes of Liverpool sniffing around them come the end of December.

It doesn't matter if we've got 20 million to spend, the cold hard fact is if a team gets promoted to the premier league why would one of its best players suddenly want to up sticks, move to a totally different area and drop back down a level?

If Bournemouth get promoted then Matt Ritchie and Callum Wilson will get every opportunity to show their worth in the top flight, just as Danny Ings and Charlie Austin have done this season.

For all we know, they could be a success at that level too and have the likes of Liverpool sniffing around them come the end of December.

Funny you should mention those two, I read in the press that Bournemouth will target both, Danny Ings and Charlie Austin if they get promoted.

Guest wilyfox

Ritchie and Wilson won't be available. They're two players on the up whose stock is rising. More likely they'd cull the less exciting Pitman. I'd take Kermorgant though; he's a very effective player at this level.

Guest Buxtonian

[quote name="GHS" post="5932767" timestamp="1427383842"

Very one dimensional and I've never seen such a one footed player in my life.

Should be very much at home at Hillsborough.We,ve got plenty of those.

Edited by Buxtonian

Well said g.

Nail on the head , and to be fair it's not exactly hard to understand is it !? Maybe we will go out and spend multi millions but it's still not going to make players like Ritchie and Wilson be anything like realistic targets for the reasons stated above in G-Owls post

If next season we keep Westwood, Lees and McGugan, and add 3 more players of their class, and with a bit of luck both with injuries and on the pitch, we will be a really good bet to end the season in one of play offs spot.

Fair comment mate,IMO our permanent signings will be just under the category of those players mentioned but our loanees will be top drawer premier league youngsters.

I certainly hope so. It should be a good summer.

If we add mcgugan with some pace and strength in attacking positions I think that's half the battle

If next season we keep Westwood, Lees and McGugan, and add 3 more players of their class, and with a bit of luck both with injuries and on the pitch, we will be a really good bet to end the season in one of play offs spot.

Absolutely! Two good wide players and a decent striker (lets see what Bus and Melo turn out like) and we wont be far off. Thirty goals from our forwards could easily have brought us another fifteen / twenty points.