Stevie May Scotland

1 sub appearance. If he doesn't get a regular game at Wednesday then he's not going to get many more caps anytime soon. Next season and pre-season is massive for Stevie and hopefully he will have some better players providing the service he needs with the new investment.

I don't really get this "getting players in to make Stevie perform like any other striker would" argument. It's the tail wagging the dog. The top and bottom of it is that May needs to improve.

Edited by shandypants

he does need to improve.

He's also 21(ish), in his 1st season in English football & part of a side that until the last few weeks struggled in front of goal.

he also needs to be played as an out & out striker instead of dropping deep/wide to get the ball. I suppose this comes from SG's focus on hard work & defensive mentality.

I don't really get this "getting players in to make Stevie perform like any other striker would" argument. It's the tail wagging the dog. The top and bottom of it is that May needs to improve.

Course he does hes 21. Had a good first season may.

Not that it makes a difference, but he's actually 22.

Signed for more than we've spent in years, and scored 50 odd goals in the previous couple of seasons. So it's understandable that some (including himself, judging by the mardiness when he's been left out) don't want to acknowledge that he's been disappointing.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that he's been one of the biggest disappointments of the season.

It's OK though...

"he'll definitely come good"

(Owlstalk FACT #279)

Edited by George Whitebread

Not that it makes a difference, but he's actually 22.

Signed for more than we've spent in years, and scored 50 odd goals in the previous couple of seasons. So it's understandable that some (including himself, judging by the mardiness when he's been left out) don't want to acknowledge that he's been disappointing.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that he's been one of the biggest disappointments of the season.

It's OK though...

"he'll definitely come good"

(Owlstalk FACT #279)

First season in the Championship and he nearly has double figures, that's not bad at all. Lots of good strikers didn't manage to do that in their first season (Troy Deeney 4, Chris Martin 6, Daryl Murphy 6).

If he's still struggling in a few seasons then it's time to be disappointed.

(including himself, judging by the mardiness when he's been left out)

What 'mardiness'? Did I miss something?

That's a genuine question, because as far as I'm aware, he's taken it on the chin when he's dropped to the bench and has looked to work his way back into the starting 11 by performing well once he's come on.

First season in the Championship and he nearly has double figures, that's not bad at all. Lots of good strikers didn't manage to do that in their first season (Troy Deeney 4, Chris Martin 6, Daryl Murphy 6).

If he's still struggling in a few seasons then it's time to be disappointed.

Fair point.

I suppose it just seems bad given how few we've scored as a team after selling Antonio last summer. Maybe if the defence and midfield had chipped in with more, it wouldn't be a promble.

What 'mardiness'? Did I miss something?

That's a genuine question, because as far as I'm aware, he's taken it on the chin when he's dropped to the bench and has looked to work his way back into the starting 11 by performing well once he's come on.

To be honest, I don't mind it. It shows that he wants to play and has a bit of cockiness about him.

He's been as disappointed as anyone with how badly he's coped with Championship defenders.

He started brightly, but his head dropped when he wasn't getting into the game as much as he'd been used to in Scotland.

Even without contributing much to the team he knows that he ought to be finishing the chances he was getting. So when even that dried up, his head understandably dropped.

He needed dropping to the bench because he was snatching at chances and has hardly hit a ball cleanly at all since his first few games.

His initial reaction to that was mooch about with the face on (probably annoyed at himself as much as anyone else). His body language on the bench and the sidelines was clear. Little or no celebration when we scored, particularly Attey and Keane's goals. I was also told that he wasn't happpy about it from someone I know at the club (albeit that could just be their opinion). Apparently it was obvious by his half hearted application in training for a few weeks.

Stevie was asked about it in an interview a couple of weeks ago and his answer showed that he wants to start games (good!). He also commented that "these things happen in football". So, reading between the lines, he's been coached to take a more pragmatic view than his initial response demonstrated.

Gray showed his man management skillz (innit) by putting an arm around him and explaining why he would benefit from a bit of time out.

Stu was right, of course, becasue May comes off the bench with fresh legs and an eagerness to show what he can do, just like he did in his first few games.

Promising!

Stevie May has already scored more goals for us than David Hirst did in his first

season.

And Hirsty didn't turn out too bad did he ?

Give the lad a chance ! Lets see what he can do next season.

Stevie May has already scored more goals for us than David Hirst did in his firstseason.And Hirsty didn't turn out too bad did he ?Give the lad a chance ! Lets see what he can do next season.

IMHO, Hirst was twice the player May will ever be and its unfair to May to compare them. . Also, Hirst scored his goals in the old First Division (The Premier League equivelent for those really young uns that don't know).

Furthermore, Hirst was a beast, whereas, May is a bit too lightweight and polite.

To be honest, I don't mind it. It shows that he wants to play and has a bit of cockiness about him.

He's been as disappointed as anyone with how badly he's coped with Championship defenders.

He started brightly, but his head dropped when he wasn't getting into the game as much as he'd been used to in Scotland.

Even without contributing much to the team he knows that he ought to be finishing the chances he was getting. So when even that dried up, his head understandably dropped.

He needed dropping to the bench because he was snatching at chances and has hardly hit a ball cleanly at all since his first few games.

His initial reaction to that was mooch about with the face on (probably annoyed at himself as much as anyone else). His body language on the bench and the sidelines was clear. Little or no celebration when we scored, particularly Attey and Keane's goals. I was also told that he wasn't happpy about it from someone I know at the club (albeit that could just be their opinion). Apparently it was obvious by his half hearted application in training for a few weeks.

Stevie was asked about it in an interview a couple of weeks ago and his answer showed that he wants to start games (good!). He also commented that "these things happen in football". So, reading between the lines, he's been coached to take a more pragmatic view than his initial response demonstrated.

Gray showed his man management skillz (innit) by putting an arm around him and explaining why he would benefit from a bit of time out.

Stu was right, of course, becasue May comes off the bench with fresh legs and an eagerness to show what he can do, just like he did in his first few games.

Promising!

This sounds like an absolute fabrication