Sheffield's biggest team - definitive

Guest Mayhem

We are top ten in my opinion.

Agreed.

We are abiut the same as Sunderland who have a huge support. Away game attendance prove it.

Edited by Mayhem

our fans are deluded we arnt even in the top 20!. we have one trophy in 80 odd years and get average gates as long as I can remember of 20k.... people call pigs, mini pigs etc deluded, think some need to look in the mirror !

I don't think top 20 is unreasonable, I can't think of 20 clubs bigger than Wednesday would you cate to list who you think they are

our fans are deluded we arnt even in the top 20!. we have one trophy in 80 odd years and get average gates as long as I can remember of 20k.... people call pigs, mini pigs etc deluded, think some need to look in the mirror !

Care to name 20 clubs that have won more than us AND have unarguably bigger support? Take your time.

We are around 12th-15th biggest club in the country, diffcult to be completely accurate as it's partly subjective.

Looking at that Steve Evans was spot on when he said that Rotherham will lose to bigger clubs than Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship...........what he failed to mention was the fact that they will lose to a lot of clubs significantly smaller than Sheffield Wednesday too .

To put the chart into perspective... Bury 50th (ok, so they won a few trophies in nineteen-hundred-and-frozen-to-death) and no Bournemouth (bigger gates, bigger fanbase, better players by a country mile, etc.)?!

If "winning trophies" is important enough to skew the rankings, then where are three times FA Cup winners, The Wanderers, in the list?

No way no how are we a top ten club...not now, maybe 40 or 50 years ago, maybe.

40 or 50 years ago??

I appreciate you're trying to keep your mates on Bladesmad sweet with that comment but you don't think that in the 91/92 season when off the back of a League Cup win, we finished third, were one of the only clubs from England to qualify for Europe and were the FOURTH best supported side in the country, we were a top ten club back then?

Ok then. :duntmatter:

Blackburn and Stoke bigger than us?! Which flippingmoron did this 'study'? What a load of b0ll0cks.

I assume global fanbase just takes into consideration all the Asian and American based 'fans' who now support a Premier League team due to the endless amount of pre season tournaments and tours that PL clubs seem to do these days. So basically clubs such as Stoke, WBA, Southampton, Blackburn etc who are/have been in the PL much more recently than the likes of us, Leeds, Forest are all now classed as bigger clubs because more people abroad will buy the shirts and watch their games?

But yes everyone in the world knows that the Blunts are forever destined to be in our shadow

This.

40 or 50 years ago??

I appreciate you're trying to keep your mates on Bladesmad sweet with that comment but you don't think that in the 91/92 season when off the back of a League Cup win, we finished third, were one of the only clubs from England to qualify for Europe and were the FOURTH best supported side in the country, we were a top ten club back then?

Talking of pigsmad the NINETEEN THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED AND FORTY thread on there is comedy gold.

Apart from the nonsense they are spouting that I mentioned earlier they’ve now moved on to claiming when we got 48,000 v Ma n United in the 80’s it was because Man United brought 20,000! Not content with that there are also claiming as FACT that the last time we average 30,000 was 1955!! It was 1968. Utter tools.

FOOTBALL LEAGUE ATTENDANCE REPORT - SEASON 2010/11

AVawERAGE NUMBER OF TRAVELLING FANS

- - Division - Season 2010/11

- - Football League Average 7 41

- - Championship Average 1 ,234

- - League 1 Average 630

- - League 2 Average 360

Rank Div Rank Club Division Season 2010/11

1 1 Leeds United Championship 3 ,484

2 2 Nottingham Forest Championship 2 ,035

3 3 Norwich City Championship 1 ,926

4 4 Leicester City Championship 1 ,876

5 1 Sheffield Wednesday League 1 1 ,722

6 5 Queens Park Rangers Championship 1 ,510

7 6 Cardiff City Championship 1 ,501

8 2 Southampton League 1 1 ,487

9 3 Brighton & Hove Albion League 1 1 ,396

10 4 Huddersfield Town League 1 1 ,310

11 7 Burnley Championship 1 ,293

12 8 Hull City Championship 1 ,264

13 9 Derby County Championship 1 ,256

14 10 Millwall Championship 1 ,201

15 11 Portsmouth Championship 1 ,165

16 12 Crystal Palace Championship 1 ,157

17 13 Ipswich Town Championship 1 ,084

18 14 Middlesbrough Championship 1 ,064

19 15 Sheffield United Championship 9 78

20 16 Swansea City Championship 9 23

21 17 Doncaster Rovers Championship 9 20

22 1 Port Vale League 2 8 86

23 18 Reading Championship 8 49

24 19 Barnsley Championship 8 13

25 20 Coventry City Championship 8 09

26 21 Watford Championship 8 06

27 5 AFC Bournemouth League 1 7 65

28 22 Bristol City Championship 6 82

29 2 Oxford United League 2 6 79

30 6 Charlton Athletic League 1 6 77

31 7 Peterborough United League 1 6 53

32 8 Exeter City League 1 6 40

33 9 Plymouth Argyle League 1 6 37

34 3 Chesterfield League 2 6 31

35 10 Bristol Rovers League 1 6 15

36 11 Oldham Athletic League 1 5 70

37 23 Preston North End Championship 5 49

38 12 Swindon Town League 1 5 08

39 4 Shrewsbury Town League 2 5 01

40 5 Bury League 2 4 86

Away followings 2011. I heard Pigs average was 9780 but the Football League took a 0 off becasue they have it in for them!   gary megson 

A recent season in the Prem would have dramatically increased our income and global exposure, lifting us up that table a few spots.

We aren't doing badly in that table given we've been out of the top flight for a generation.

Very Good Point there.

In my opinion there were always 5 big clubs in this country, Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal, followed by Everton and Spurs. In my lifetime those five have always played at the top level, barring Man U who had a season down in the mid-70s. Leeds and Forest had spells of success, but they couldn't sustain it and have had long stints in the lower leagues. Now Chelsea and City have bought their way in. The most significant statistic from the piece in the Mail is that the Owls are ranked 35th economically. That explains why we didn't do what the other big city clubs did. Now our system has finally changed, and we have an owner like everyone else, there is no reason why we couldn't make the top 10 in the future, even if that requires another owner to follow Chansiri. If we'd got the shares in and sold out 20 years ago the disaster of the last 15 years would probably never have happened.

Utd v Scunthorpe was a fixture postponed from Boxing Day. Tickets from the original fixture were valid for the rearranged fixture. The actual crowd through the gate was much less than 22,000.

40 or 50 years ago??

I'm talking in context of the Mail chart, had the same thing been done when we had our purple patch then we wouldn't have made the top ten then either...of course we were literally a top ten club at that time because we were well...in the top ten.

Some of our fans, in my view, really need to get over the notion we are such a big club these days, we're not...yes we have potential, yes we have tradition & yes we have a fanbase second to none in terms of loyalty & following the club through hard times...I know, I was home & away every game through the seventies & times don't come much harder than that in football terms.

I really believe that SOME of our fans are truly deluded, they really believe we are that big & then some...the MASSIVE thing is a joke & a laugh, most of us know that & play it for what it is, I do it myself but is there any wonder that Blades fans jump on any comment made on here & call us deluded, some of the things said ARE deluded & I don't like being tarred with that brush.

As for Bladesmad, I've said before on here that I like Footymad as a format, sorry if that offends, I'll talk to anybody about football, there are some good blokes on Bladesmad & there are some rights n0bends...just like on here wouldn't you say, just like on any forum anywhere, yer see mate, I really don't care who anyone supports, I don't judge people on what colours they wear, there's room for all of us.

That PIC of Liverpool celebrating looks like its taken at S6. Hodge in front of kop in background. Think they did us 1=5 that day with mardy arse Rush getting a hayrick.

the roof was put on in 86 but was that not after this season had finished? 

i cant remember but looking at the pic your referring to, i reck the pillars are too thin, and we can see 3 in this pic. so this aint at S6 is it?

(too close together also)

post-30651-0-51994500-1427490519.jpg

Goodison park maybe?