SG: A rare quality in management

Having just seen what physio Paul Smith has to say about working with Stuart Gray in The Star and thinking back to the numerous occasions when many players have echoed his thoughts over the past season and a half, it bemuses me that some should be calling for our manger's head.

It is surely clear to all but the deaf that this man has a very rare quality when it comes to management today; the ability to command the respect and admiration from those for whom he is the boss. You don't win this sort of response from hardened professionals, especially professional footballers, unless you truly warrant it.

Surely Loovens and Hutchinson's return to S6 this season was down to his style of management. Even when players are dropped, he seems to have a wonderful way of keeping them involved and onside.  Take Mcquire, for example. I bet he could be a difficult player to please when not in the starting XI but there is not the slightest ***** anywhere in the squad and the staff to suggest anything other than every man in the current group are utterly united behind him.  Even 'troublesome' Royston Drenthe appeared to be infused with the sense of togetherness that SG has brought to the set up.  Let's not forget, too, how individual players (Semedo, Palmer, Mattock for example) have really blossomed with the confidence they have been given in what are apparently always enjoyable and very varied and active training sessions.

Yes, Saturday's celebrations were in part the result of such an incredible final few minutes but I have never seen everyone get so involved with celebrating a goal.  You can't fake that sort of reaction, it has to come from a truly common sense of joy; a shared moment of delight.

Good morale and a collective team spirit can carry you anywhere - add a little bit of extra cash next season and I believe the recipe for success is ready to cook.

Honestly, we would be crazy to throw all this away.

Having just seen what physio Paul Smith has to say about working with Stuart Gray in The Star and thinking back to the numerous occasions when many players have echoed his thoughts over the past season and a half, it bemuses me that some should be calling for our manger's head.

It is surely clear to all but the deaf that this man has a very rare quality when it comes to management today; the ability to command the respect and admiration from those for whom he is the boss. You don't win this sort of response from hardened professionals, especially professional footballers, unless you truly warrant it.

Surely Loovens and Hutchinson's return to S6 this season was down to his style of management. Even when players are dropped, he seems to have a wonderful way of keeping them involved and onside. Take Mcquire, for example. I bet he could be a difficult player to please when not in the starting XI but there is not the slightest ***** anywhere in the squad and the staff to suggest anything other than every man in the current group are utterly united behind him. Even 'troublesome' Royston Drenthe appeared to be infused with the sense of togetherness that SG has brought to the set up. Let's not forget, too, how individual players (Semedo, Palmer, Mattock for example) have really blossomed with the confidence they have been given in what are apparently always enjoyable and very varied and active training sessions.

Yes, Saturday's celebrations were in part the result of such an incredible final few minutes but I have never seen everyone get so involved with celebrating a goal. You can't fake that sort of reaction, it has to come from a truly common sense of joy; a shared moment of delight.

Good morale and a collective team spirit can carry you anywhere - add a little bit of extra cash next season and I believe the recipe for success is ready to cook.

Yes he has good points but then there are bad points too. 4 home wins,12 home goals,boring football.

Would say about 75% of my Wednesdayite friends want him to go at end of the season. Saying they don't trust him with money and its too defensive. Think its just changes for changes sake syndrome.

in mcgugan, Westwood and Lees, he has signed some of the best players to play for us in the past decade. Not sure where this trust him with the money thing has come from.

I'd much sooner have gray than someone like redknapp. Theres a bloke who can p!ss away a fortune.

Edited by CrosbyKitchens

Agree 100% with OP. I have every confidence in SG. Top bloke, top coach, top people manager. I believe that when given the budget that he has no doubt craved since he was first appointed then he'll progress us significantly. Time alone will tell though. I just hope that he gets the opportunity that I believe he deserves in the summer.

Guest Buxtonian

Maybe if our crowds at home got behind the players, as our away fans do, and left out all the snide commEnts made about the players, we might see the number of home wins increase.

I keep seeing this " i don't trust him with money" comment banded about but, i was under the impression that we were looking to bring in a director of football so the money side of things would be largely irrelivant if that's the case. He is there to coach/manage the team not gettingdirectly involved with money and it would be a collective decision on player recruitment.

Plus, yes home form has been dyer, but the man deserves a crack next season and getting rid would be just wrong. Brining in another manager would not guarantee promotion by any means.

Edited by Chris Akabusi

Surely Loovens and Hutchinson's return to S6 this season was down to his style of management. Even when players are dropped, he seems to have a wonderful way of keeping them involved and onside.  Take Mcquire, for example. I bet he could be a difficult player to please when not in the starting XI but there is not the slightest ***** anywhere in the squad and the staff to suggest anything other than every man in the current group are utterly united behind him.  Even 'troublesome' Royston Drenthe appeared to be infused with the sense of togetherness that SG has brought to the set up.  Let's not forget, too, how individual players (Semedo, Palmer, Mattock for example) have really blossomed with the confidence they have been given in what are apparently always enjoyable and very varied and active training sessions.

Yes, Saturday's celebrations were in part the result of such an incredible final few minutes but I have never seen everyone get so involved with celebrating a goal.  You can't fake that sort of reaction, it has to come from a truly common sense of joy; a shared moment of delight.

Dignity.SG biggest Quality when you compare him to that Fat Lump of Lard who goes by the name of Steve Evans. gary megson

Hopefully, with greater resources at his disposal this summer, Gray will be able to build a team that can win games and score goals at Hillsborough. Seriously, that is all we are short of from being a team capable of being in and around the top 6.

Gray has done a sterling job building from the back, but now is the time to tweak things to get the right balance of defending well and scoring goals.

With 2/3 creative players (McGugan and a couple of proper wide men) and a proven goalscorer, I'm confident we will be challenging next season.

Gray has deserved the chance to build on a respectable season this year.

Guest Ash76

Yes he has good points but then there are bad points too. 4 home wins,12 home goals,boring football.

But the points the OP makes are some of the most important skills a manager can possess. The 4 home wins and 12 goals is easily fixed, putting together the spirit he created not so easy if a new man comes in.

Edited by Ash76

As a potential flip side to this, Irvine was a nice guy who was and still is respected within football. I'm sure he was a deciding factor in Neil mellor coming here, our player of the season that year. Yet for all the nice things said about him the whole tenure was a bit of a car crash. As much respect as he commands throughout all the staff at the club, I'm probably in the group who doubts his ability to take the team to the next level. I don't think having a very inexperienced assistant who is also dealing with the youth team (whilst still being an estate agent?) helps him either Really. It's certainly not a scenario you'd expect at any of the teams above us. Maybe a director of football coming in to offer contacts and experience in the game would help gray and Wednesday to the next level

A nice man but nice people don't always make it to the top. 

I just feel if we are really going for the top prize, we need a hardened, seasoned manager. Where we get him from who knows, but in football managers come and go so I am sure the right man will be available within the next three months.

There is no one type of manager who gets a team promoted.

You have seasoned old know it alls like Royle. McCarthy, Redknapp who have done it 2 or 3 times.

You have the ex superstar who steams in and changes the whole profile of a club - Keane at Sunderland, Hoddle at Swindon,

You have barking man motivators like Dowie, Holloway, Dyche who do it through force of personality

You even have miserable sods like Pearson and Coppell who have done it.

There is no science behind any of it.  Gray has as much of a chance as anyone of getting us up.

As a potential flip side to this, Irvine was a nice guy who was and still is respected within football. I'm sure he was a deciding factor in Neil mellor coming here, our player of the season that year. Yet for all the nice things said about him the whole tenure was a bit of a car crash. As much respect as he commands throughout all the staff at the club, I'm probably in the group who doubts his ability to take the team to the next level. I don't think having a very inexperienced assistant who is also dealing with the youth team (whilst still being an estate agent?) helps him either Really. It's certainly not a scenario you'd expect at any of the teams above us. Maybe a director of football coming in to offer contacts and experience in the game would help gray and Wednesday to the next level

still think Irvine could make a good DoF.

Seems well respected and connected in the game and is known for his work with youngsters