First Team Coaching

Currently, our coaches for the first team are Stuart Gray (Head Coach), John Deehan, Lee Bullen and Andy Rhodes (GK coach). Does anyone know who else we have around the first-team on the training ground? This area for me is a huge worry for a number of reasons:

1. COMBINING DUTIES- often teams have a Manager, Assistant Manager and First-Team Coach. Some have a Director of Football with a Head Coach etc. We just have Stuart Gray. That's a lot of responsibility for a very experienced coach/not too experienced Manager. Equally, we have Lee Bullen- head coach of the Development Squad and a coach for the first team. Only his second/third coaching role.

2. LACK OF PROGRESSION- quite simply, i don't think many of our players have improved enough during Gray's tenure. I was most excited at this prospect after his appointment. But players like Helan and Lee, both with ability and potential, often look completely devoid of confidence. Maguire and Nuhiu, effective as they can be, never ever appear to learn from their mistakes/failings.

3. LACK OF EXPERIENCE- our squad oozes naivety. How many players do we have who you would class as knowledgable, experienced and reliable for the younger lads to look up to? For me, it's Westwood, Kirkland, Loovens, Semedo and McGugan (perhaps Lees also despite his age). Not many. Certainly very defence heavy there, and it's shown by our 'clean sheets: goals scored' ratio. So when we need to get something from a game or hold on to a lead, we invariably panic and fail. This also highlights Gray's tactical inadequacies.

To reiterate, I'm a Gray fan and I completely agree with the way he is trying to move the team forward. But he is clearly too thinly stretched in his duties and it's leading to more mistakes. To progress to the next level, it seems essential that our first signings be in the coaching department. At least two or three more bodies with Premier League level experience to provide a greater chance of maximising the improvements of our players. And to create a better reputation for nurturing individuals to help attract a higher level of "young, hungry talent". 

Currently, our coaches for the first team are Stuart Gray (Head Coach), John Deehan, Lee Bullen and Andy Rhodes (GK coach). Does anyone know who else we have around the first-team on the training ground? This area for me is a huge worry for a number of reasons:

1. COMBINING DUTIES- often teams have a Manager, Assistant Manager and First-Team Coach. Some have a Director of Football with a Head Coach etc. We just have Stuart Gray. That's a lot of responsibility for a very experienced coach/not too experienced Manager. Equally, we have Lee Bullen- head coach of the Development Squad and a coach for the first team. Only his second/third coaching role.

2. LACK OF PROGRESSION- quite simply, i don't think many of our players have improved enough during Gray's tenure. I was most excited at this prospect after his appointment. But players like Helan and Lee, both with ability and potential, often look completely devoid of confidence. Maguire and Nuhiu, effective as they can be, never ever appear to learn from their mistakes/failings.

3. LACK OF EXPERIENCE- our squad oozes naivety. How many players do we have who you would class as knowledgable, experienced and reliable for the younger lads to look up to? For me, it's Westwood, Kirkland, Loovens, Semedo and McGugan (perhaps Lees also despite his age). Not many. Certainly very defence heavy there, and it's shown by our 'clean sheets: goals scored' ratio. So when we need to get something from a game or hold on to a lead, we invariably panic and fail. This also highlights Gray's tactical inadequacies.

To reiterate, I'm a Gray fan and I completely agree with the way he is trying to move the team forward. But he is clearly too thinly stretched in his duties and it's leading to more mistakes. To progress to the next level, it seems essential that our first signings be in the coaching department. At least two or three more bodies with Premier League level experience to provide a greater chance of maximising the improvements of our players. And to create a better reputation for nurturing individuals to help attract a higher level of "young, hungry talent". 

I don't agree with a lot of that but you're main point that he is spreading himself too thinly is probably spot on. The backroom team probably needs beefing up; probably to include a DOF (non-intrusive in respect of day to day coaching/selection etc).

Saleries of backroom staff was probably a big issue too

As it was no doubt for many aspects of the club but think we all need to remember the ole adage of Rome wasn't Built in a Day from this point forward.

I'm concerned a % of the fan base will be too giddy to the point of putting too much expectation and unnecessary pressure on our new chairman too soon.

However, what wage is is Roberto Martinez on I wonder, his tenure is starting to look a little dicey at present.

Would a manager of that Ilk who could end up out of work and at that time all other PL club's retaining management, be able to fit SG into his backroom staff as in coach?

Just a thought.

So... 1, 2, And 3. you would rather have Jones back as he obviously did a better job....

Not !

Note, your post is obviously a knock at Gray as he aledgedly has the say on what goes on...

Edited by Captain Sl-OWL-ly

The bit about being spread too thinly probably has a bit of truth to it. I bet gray doesn't agree.

The rest I think your way off.

Under gray, maguire, lee, coke, semedo, Palmer, mattock, lavery and Zayette have all either come in from the cold, or improved. You have to remember he's only had a year to work with them properly. Confidence isn't necessarily down to gray.

Experience wise, westwood and Kirkland, Zayette, loovens, mcgugan, maguire, semedo are all pretty experienced. Mattock has premier league club experience, Nuhiu has European cup experience, Lees, lee, Palmer and may are young but they've played a fair amount of games, there's not many truly inexperienced players.

When you shop in budgets like we do, you pick up players with limitations. All we are seeing is a squad built on the cheap, showing it's limitations. It's thanks to gray we've overachieving.

Absolutely not knocking Gray. Big Gray fan. However I strongly believe that his coaching staff needs to be beefed up to help the squad continue to progress. And it's something that can be done now, we don't have to wait until the summer.

I do think that the progress of certain players has stalled. But that a few more experienced personnel on the training pitch would help Stu get them back on the upward curve.

The theory being the more one on one coaching a developing player receives, the greater their improvement.

Admittedly, a few of my points come across in a more negative way than intended.

Hawkeye, regarding both progression and experience, maybe the key word I missed out was consistency. Mattock for example. I think he's a great asset. Has a good wealth of experience for his age, but he is not yet quite what I'd consider a consistent and reliable championship left back. I suppose it's the difference between having the games under your belt and actually learning from them that is my issue.

Admittedly, a few of my points come across in a more negative way than intended.

Hawkeye, regarding both progression and experience, maybe the key word I missed out was consistency. Mattock for example. I think he's a great asset. Has a good wealth of experience for his age, but he is not yet quite what I'd consider a consistent and reliable championship left back. I suppose it's the difference between having the games under your belt and actually learning from them that is my issue.

But consistent quality costs money. We've been quite luck in getting gems like Kirkland, westwood, Lees and loovens for nowt. But maguire, may and Helan are our only purchases, when you sign up frees and cast offs on the wages we offer, you can't expect 22 consistently top quality players.

I think grays done an outstanding job with what he's had to work with. But if we are to push to the Premier league, we need at least 8 better players than we currently have. Which is basically another squad rebuild, which we know generally takes time to gel.

Guest totemowl

Said it before about needing to beef up the management / coaching side, now we've got investment.

I reckon Dave Jones had more bodies / etc in there, at least at senior level, whereas Gray seems to have been managing on a shoestring.