Hutchinson right wing ?

Guest owl from retford

Guest owl from retford

Why all of a sudden has Gray started playing him on the right wing ? Ok he did alright for proberly the first 20 mins but he has'nt got the pace or legs to get up and down enough. Very strange decision to play him there when he is a defensive midfielder was Lee carrying a knock maybe we should have started Maguire cant understand the dynamics behind that selection ?

Why all of a sudden has Gray started playing him on the right wing ? Ok he did alright for proberly the first 20 mins but he has'nt got the pace or legs to get up and down enough. Very strange decision to play him there when he is a defensive midfielder was Lee carrying a knock maybe we should have started Maguire cant understand the dynamics behind that selection ?

We were playing a diamond formation.

We just executed it poorly because we didn't play it down the middle enough. It always ended up on the wing and Hutch is no winger. It's still debatable if Maghoma or Maguire are wingers.

hes a centre back all day long, wins headrers and tackles, and shoots like a centre back!

For me this should be his position saturday

Spot on! Him and Lees at the back could be amazing. Far less running and quick changes of direction- better for his injury prone knee! AND Mourinho thought he was quite good in defence...

Since he returned from injury in January, he's started 5 games as a midfielder, in which we've earned 1 point.

He's also come off the bench in the first half for Semedo once vs Brighton to help us get 1 point.

In the 4 games he hasn't started and figured as a second half substitute we've achieved 7 points.

I'd like to see Melo start on Saturday.

To offer Palmer a little protection against Marshall which worked cos Marshall offered nothing in open play.

^^^This^^^^

He played right side of midfield NOT as a winger, theres a  big difference.

No wingers required in the formation last night, should be going 4-3-3 though, especially at home, with the fullbacks doing the donkey work and CM's dropping off, would open us up a little but we'd have more threat going forward.

The days of conventional wingers have passed us by, modern day full backs/wide midfielders have to graft a lot more than they did back in the day, up and down for 90 minutes is putting a shift and half in but it creates a lot more time on the ball for play makers.

Was an absolutely mental decision to put Hutchinson on the right.  There was obviously Maguire (the time off training doesn't really concern me, he'd only had a few days off), could have played Palmer on the right and brought in Vermijl/Buxton at RB, or could have switched Maghoma to the right and put Helan on the left etc.   Hutchinson didn't have a clue where he was supposed to be until he moved to CM when Semedo went off, and that's understandable for someone who's entire career has been either CB or defensive midfield.  

And whoever said it was a diamond... it was never set up to be a diamond in a million years (though it should have been if he insisted on playing those 4 midfielders)!  McGugan played deep in CM rather than at the head of the diamond, or if Maghoma was meant to be the top of the diamond then he why did he hug the left touchline?  It was 4-4-2, with Hutchinson trying to play the defensive wide-man role that Lee had been doing well.  Gray just picked the wrong player to play in the role.

Since he returned from injury in January, he's started 5 games as a midfielder, in which we've earned 1 point.

He's also come off the bench in the first half for Semedo once vs Brighton to help us get 1 point.

In the 4 games he hasn't started and figured as a second half substitute we've achieved 7 points.

I'd like to see Melo start on Saturday.

think hes started 9 or 10 this season an weve won 1. (brighton A) 

an like you say, came on at o-o v brighton (H) with an hour to play,

gutted cos 90% on ere said he will make a massive difference to us going forward, as well as defensively,  

I do think hes a better player than what weve seen so far this season, but its about time he showed it -

that said, not easy to do that from RM!

hes a centre back all day long, wins headrers and tackles, and shoots like a centre back!

For me this should be his position saturday

Spot on! Him and Lees at the back could be amazing. Far less running and quick changes of direction- better for his injury prone knee! AND Mourinho thought he was quite good in defence...

and we'd see more goals per game (opposition penalties) and less of him 3 game ban for straight red's isn't it

Chad- I'd argue that if we played him at the back, he might receive fewer cards. I think he struggles with the fast changes of direction and frantic turn over of possession when playing CM. At CB it's far easier to read the game as most of it plays out in front of you. He'd be tracking back and chasing runners far less.

He could be a superb centre back.

He's ended up in midfield because he's a very good footballer. If he is to play in front of the defence, he should do just that - sit in as a holding midfielder. Since coming back from injury he's been running about like a lunatic all over the pitch. That's not his forte for me.

As one or two others have rightly said he played as a narrow right sided midfielder in a midfield diamond. A system which is prefect for Semedo at the base and McGugan at the tip as well taking into account our lack of natural wingers.

Gray is utilising the players he’s got available in the best possible system which some can’t seem to see.

Hutchinson did OK the other night and the reason we lost was sloppy defending which we were punished for twice. Over the course of the game we fully deserved a point which the stats vindicate.

Hutchison wasn’t playing as a right winger through.

As one or two others have rightly said he played as a narrow right sided midfielder in a midfield diamond. A system which is prefect for Semedo at the base and McGugan at the tip as well taking into account our lack of natural wingers.

Gray is utilising the players he’s got available in the best possible system which some can’t seem to see.

Hutchinson did OK the other night and the reason we lost was sloppy defending which we were punished for twice. Over the course of the game we fully deserved a point which the stats vindicate.

Hutchison wasn’t playing as a right winger through.

Educate, educate, educate, an abstract concept on Owlstalk I'm afraid.

One of the reasons why so much drivel is posted on here recently........ya can't tell em owt !

:stuwinky:

Edited by paddyowl