Misleading Score Lines - Don't be fooled

Guest LEGEND

Guest LEGEND

Im hoping people feel the same way, this isn't a dig at Stuart Gray, well...maybe it is. But I understand why he does it...(kind of)

People were saying how impressed they were with the Middlesborough result & performance.

However, we didn't really play well did we?

We played the same style of football as we have at home all season, we slow the game down, pass from left to right, then switch a diagnal ball crossfield to Nuhiu, then our play can split into 3 ways:

• Nuhiu flicks it on and the ball falls at someones feet, usually on the wing who trys to cross.
  • Nuhiu gets fouled
  • The ball bundles around and get a scrappy half chance

When we're winning people don't seem to mind, which is fine...(it just so happens this style doesnt get us winning much)

We played exactly the same last night, apart from they got 2 lucky goals....but we stuck to our same style, but because we we're losing its quite noticebly bad.

I understand we can blame the pitch, and maybe even quality of players but surely Gray can change the style of football when we're behind?!

Im hoping for a different style on Saturday, lets actually try and get in behind Blackpools defence and have a go at playing some quick tempo football.

For me the Middlesborough performance and the Blackburn performance we're identical. We just got a lucky break on Saturday.

Guest totemowl

Saying the Middlesborough and Blackburn performances were identical just goes to show you need to go and watch the games.

What I think we're missing is a playmaker in midfield, we need a Sheridan or a Waddle-esque player to switch the play or do something a bit out of the ordinary.  Have we got anyone even close to these two?  Even if its just on a good day?

I would expect that when safety is categorically assured (and we are just about there) then Gray will be looking to try different things and players. He'll no doubt want to get the nod from above before he starts the experiments too as there could be interesting outcomes.

It doesn't help that every time Nuhiu got near the ball, both cbs pulled him all over the place and the ref gave chuff all. And eventually when he managed to win a header, which is quite rare considering his size, there was no one around him to win the flick on. We had lousy wingers last night who every time they got on the ball went forward and turned back. And every time the ball dropped in there box, it just landed at their feet, or bounced off them. If we hadn't of dropped our heads after there first goal and showed some fire and passion then we could of won that game. 

I don't think the OP is far out to be honest.

Against Middlesbrough we got a fortunate penalty, then their heads dropped. But the 1st half was terrible.

The style of football was exactly the same in both games, the difference was work-rate and tempo.

If the opposition score 1st, we are invariably screwed because we have no plan B.

Guest Bournemouth Owl

Saying the Middlesborough and Blackburn performances were identical just goes to show you need to go and watch the games.

What!.. What!! ... Go and watch the games!!.. You are a hard man.

I don't think the OP is far out to be honest.

Against Middlesbrough we got a fortunate penalty, then their heads dropped. But the 1st half was terrible.

The style of football was exactly the same in both games, the difference was work-rate and tempo.

If the opposition score 1st, we are invariably screwed because we have no plan B.

Bang on.

an important factor of last night was keane swivel volley that he hit connected with too well but straight at the keeper a scuff off his studs and we'd be 1-0 up before they scored  different game altogether   if if if I know but that goal for us wouldve changed the game completely 

Funny really

We haven't been this high for more years than most of us want to remember.

But people still expect better...maybe rightly so... I don't know.

I remember when Charlton finished 7th I think in the Prem and sacked Curbishly because they wanted better even though they had massively overperformed.

They weren't identical, but they were a lot more similar than some seem to realise.

As far as some are concerned, we're either brilliant or diabolical.

The difference between the two games was just who scored first and when that goal came.

We were OK against Boro and fortunately were awarded a penalty that could easily have not been given. That opened the game out and we were able to push on because Boro were chasing the game.

Against Blackburn, before the penalty we were the same as before Rhodes scored. A few minutes later, they scored another ridiculously soft goal, and that was it, no need for them to do anything but frustrate.

As we have no plan B, it's easy for teams to shut us out.

I was making the same point about Nuhiu last night. The haters seem to enjoy us losing because they're so keen to give Attey some abuse for it all being his point. He's neither briliant nor diabolical in games either. He just has a different task in front of him when teams sit back and put 3 men on him, knowing that he's out main man.

Plenty to do in the summer!!!