Header training for Nuhiu part 2 -Corners: an idea for Gray

Before I start this is genuinely not a free kick for the haters  but tbf they will turn any such thread into one

I hate the now saga like boring for / against, black / white threads. I think it's very possible to like the guy and acknowledge his contribution, whilst shaking your head in disbelief at him sometimes

I understand they are working on him trying to jump to head the ball and he does try his flick ons and does reasonably well despite being fouled almost every time 

What about corners?

Now we have lost our major goal scoring threat at free kicks and corners (the great and missed Reda)  we have a nearly 6'6" giant that 'jumps' 5' from a position stood rooted next to / around the keeper. I know he's there to impeded the keeper but generally all that happens is they get a free kick. Ok I get that he isn't able to jump cos he's so heavy so:

How about we position him outside the box or at the back corner of the box and get him to ( and I know this is an off the wall idea ) try a run and jump to meet the ball? Mcgugans delivery is usually fantastic so why the heck aren't we just doing the flipping obvious?

a) it will drag at least 2 of the defenders to intercept such a run leading to space elsewhere

b) should he get a run up perhaps he could for once use his height

c) stopping him running in may get us the odd penalty

Ok I now it's a ridiculous idea but love to see it tried every now and then

Said that last night, he never attacks the ball, and the double whammy is that when Maghoma does manage a cross there is no pace on them so the forward cannot get any power on them . 

Think is as much as i like Keane, he does the same as Nuhui and try's to get the ball down (nothing wrong with that ) but sometimes you just have to attack it and compete for it , that big lump for them last night gave our back 4 a real going over . 

As much as his contribution is appreciated and his effort is id get rid of him. Simply cause he is a liability and hinders our games majority of times. More often than not he concedes free kick after free kick after free kick. I have also noticed whenever we are behind or struggling he fails to attack balls put in to the box he seems to just stand amd wait for it or puts a feeble jump in.

Last night Chris Brown for Blackburn did the job we would have wanted. Like him or not he ruffled our defenders without conceding free kicks galore, won majority of headers, attacked everything at corners throw ins and free kicks. He impressed me as a player. But naturally last night i wanted him sent off for the late challenge on Hutch whilst on a yellow which we didnt even get a fk for

thing is this was a partly tongue in op because it is junior football level coaching  

stationary strikers waiting rooted to the same spot offer nothing

just every now and then when a cross actually arrives can't we try to get mobile and in the big lad's case give him chance to get up to head it 

No doubting our current crop of defenders are much better at defending than previous groups but by god do we miss the aerial threats of a R.Jones, Llera, Reda etc.

Having an aerial threat from defence surely would make more room for Atdhe too, more people to worry about and so on! We need beefing up!

No doubting our current crop of defenders are much better at defending than previous groups but by god do we miss the aerial threats of a R.Jones, Llera, Reda etc.

Having an aerial threat from defence surely would make more room for Atdhe too, more people to worry about and so on! We need beefing up!

agreed as I said we miss reda 

my OP is about trying to utilise nuhiu's height  as a threat  but it's true we aren't getting goals from defenders

agreed as I said we miss reda

my OP is about trying to utilise nuhiu's height as a threat but it's true we aren't getting goals from defenders

Yep agree with that too, with having an extra aerial threat froM the back Nuhiu should also get extra opportunities i.e. defenders having others to worry about!

He does need to learn how to jump though and attack an aerial ball

Not wishing to stoke the flames of the Cult of Megson, but that was something he got right.

We always had 3 or 4 big powerful lads storming in from the edge of the box. It must've been terrifying for the oppositiom defences.

Our whole team is stationary in the box. Then we chip it in and expect someone to generate enough power to trouble the goal. No chance.

Nuhiu being utilised to put the keeper off ia definitely a waste.

Not wishing to stoke the flames of the Cult of Megson, but that was something he got right.

We always had 3 or 4 big powerful lads storming in from the edge of the box. It must've been terrifying for the oppositiom defences.

Our whole team is stationary in the box. Then we chip it in and expect someone to generate enough power to trouble the goal. No chance.

Nuhiu being utilised to put the keeper off ia definitely a waste.

yep in essence my point  and it isn't something hard to organise we just need keane and nuhiu to stagger their runs from the back corner of the box and I mean runs into the delivery area and actually jump- we now have mcgugan who can put it in the right place

hampering their goalkeeper if needed can be done by a smaller player who can fall over for the pen when the keeper goes through him :biggrin:    

How about we position him outside the box or at the back corner of the box and get him to ( and I know this is an off the wall idea ) try a run and jump to meet the ball? Mcgugans delivery is usually fantastic so why the heck aren't we just doing the flipping obvious?

a) it will drag at least 2 of the defenders to intercept such a run leading to space elsewhere

b) should he get a run up perhaps he could for once use his height

c) stopping him running in may get us the odd penalty

You are forgetting Nuhiu can't run .....apparently.

Yes, very good. You can pick out an instance where he's battling with the next biggest bloke on the pitch and can't quite get a clean jump while being hampered by Brown thrusting his arse at him.

That kinda shows what steelowl is on about. If he'd taken a run up, Brown would either have to foul him / impede his run (in a much more dramatic fashion that would force the referee to make a decision), or allow him to have a clear go at it. In that one situation that you're highlighting, presumably because you find some enjoyment in slagging off our top scorer for some reason, all Brown had to do is give him a nudge as he attempts to jump and he's on the deck without the ref raising an eyebrow - it's a 50:50 tussle; nothing more.

Nice attempt at sarcasm though. Hilarious that. Well done. eh?

Edited by George Whitebread