The Wednesday for 2017

Guest AbbeyOwl

Being called "The Wednesday" is a branding or trade name issue so there would be no issue with the FA by being called "The Wednesday".

There are plenty of examples where clubs have changed their name. Some are listed above and other include Swansea Town became Swansea City (when the "town" became a "city") and Leyton Orient became The Orient and then went back to Leyton Orient not so long ago. Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic are registered as such with the FA but since the early 70s have traded as AFC Bournemouth.

Reverting to "The Wednesday" would present huge potential for a kick start to the club's 150th year. This has definitely got legs!

Arent people quoting clubs who have made permanent changes tho.

We are suggesting a name change for one season only, not permanent, reverting back on 2018, surely thats different.

I for one agree its a great idea, i just dont think they'd allow us to set a precedent for a 12 month change.

Arent people quoting clubs who have made permanent changes tho.

We are suggesting a name change for one season only, not permanent, reverting back on 2018, surely thats different.

I for one agree its a great idea, i just dont think they'd allow us to set a precedent for a 12 month change.

Finally, someone with sense.

Guest totemowl

Doubt there will be the name change ...

We'll likely wear a replica kit we wore when we first started out - hoops I think wasn't it?

I'm going right off the idea now.

We're recognised as Sheffield Wednesday right round the globe. If The Wednesday popped up on Thai tv etc it wouldn't do our brand / recognition any good. A bit like Man United reverting to Newton Heath for a season. WTF:

And on our return to the EPL we should play in familiar colours, ROYAL blue and white strips - a reminder of the force we were when the EPL kIcked off - not a 150 year old replica kit.

We're recognised as Sheffield Wednesday right round the globe. If The Wednesday popped up on Thai tv etc it wouldn't do our brand / recognition any good. A bit like Man United reverting to Newton Heath for a season. WTF:

And on our return to the EPL we should play in familiar colours, ROYAL blue and white strips - a reminder of the force we were when the EPL kIcked off - not a 150 year old replica kit.

We have a brand....really? Do you speak to many people outside of Sheffield?  Most people say 'oh yeah werent you in the Premier League once, are you in League 2 now, or somewhere'

I love Wednesday but to suggest we would tarnish our brand is ludicrous.

It would be a decision for 'us' to celebrate a big milestone, no-one else would give a throw and i wouldnt want them to.

I was thinking about this a while ago. The club should be starting to think about the 150th anniversary soon and this should deffo be one I think the fans would go along with. Maybe kit change. I thought we played in blue with white sleeves first? We could all turn up in Victorian garb.

I think our first kit was hoops fella.

I have always loved this idea. I also would,nt be against this idea on a permanent basis. There are many examples of clubs not using the City name. None of the London clubs have London in the name. Everton, Port Vale, the two Edinburgh clubs, Queen of the South, St johnston etc.

Definitely not. I'm a proud Sheffielder and keeping Sheffield in the name is vital to me. I'd be really annoyed if Sheffield was dropped. I've discussed this with mates before and the view was unanimous. Maybe Sheffield based Owls have a stronger attachment to the Sheffield part of the name.

I don't believe Sheffield Wednesday is a name is "recognised across the globe".  I spent a fair bit of time in Ottawa and in New York last year.  Lots of people know about the "EPL".  Watch games in sports bars.  Wear the tops of the big clubs.  Talking to people, I hardly ever met anyone who had even heard of Sheffield Wednesday.  In all the time when English football has been globaly visible we've been a nonentity.

Nothing to lose, and I prefer The Wednesday: but only as a permanent change.  Prefer not to do it for the season (even if that were allowed by the league).  Bit gimmicky.

On another point, 2017 needs planning for.  But so too does the 200th anniversary of Wednesday as a sporting club in 2020.  Formed five years after Waterloo!

I think our first kit was hoops fella.

First known kit.

We don't know what we wore from 1867 - 1874.

We only know that we wore hoops in 1875-76.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

"EPL"????

Just like THE Wednesday, it's THE PL!!!

I've always wanted us to be called The Wednesday.

We are The Wednesday to me.

If people ask who I support, I always say Wednesday - not Sheffield Wednesday.

Dropping Sheffield from the name wouldn't mean we were any less a Sheffield team. It would be potentially better for attracting fans from outside Sheffield though.

It's not like it is some random name thought up by a weirdo owner. We'd be going back to our original name and embracing history.