The Wednesday for 2017

Guest AbbeyOwl

Guest sotonowl

Any chance of a poll, be nice to get an idea what the %'s would be either way, for myself, i'd go with The Wednesday.

Amy example from the last 100 years? The league won't allow it. This is the Football League, not a works snooker competition.

Yes.    Stevenage Borough to Stevenage FC in 2010.  They were in the Football League then. The precedent's been set.

Names change all the time.  Swansea Town to Swansea City lately.

Wimbledon Scunthorpe and Bournemouth have all changed their names in the last 60 years. Dropping the first half of a name isn't a big step- especially when we were called that from 1867 to 1928.

Orient to Leyton Orient in the 80's?

They were also known as Clapton Orient before WW11.  They've had 3 different names.

Would be nice to have a poll.  I reckon if over 60% wanted it, it could happen.  Either for one season or more permanently.

Reverting back to our historic name is not as dramatic as a change to Sheffield Owls or similar sounding to a basketball, hockey or Rugby League side.

The Wednesday for the 150th season would be fantastic PR and haven't really got an issue with changing back permanently as part of reinvigorating the club and tradition.

They would possibly consider the change on a permanent basis, but not for a one year marketing stunt. As noted previously, this is the football league, and not Melting Shop B v Accounts in the inter departmental snooker knock out.

Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic to AFC B'mouth

Scunthorpe and Lindsey Utd to Scunthorpe United

Wimbledon to M.K. Dons

Royal Arsenal to Arsenal FC

Small Heath to Birmingham

Birmingham to Birmingham City

Newton Heath to Man Utd

I could go on. How many examples would you like?

Barnsley to Dingles

Sheffield United to Pigs

Rotherham to Toy Town

Leeds to Dirty Leeds.

lol

I live near Hull so get all the local news from there.

Owner Allam threatened to walk away (and more importantly take his considerable dosh away) from Hull if the fans didn't back the name change.

For a free vote it must have been a bit like German democracy in the 1930's.  60% of voters failed to respond- obviously frightened of losing the owner's financial clout.