Would five players do it?

If we can't afford players from the Premier League, or top end players from the Championship, we may as well not bother. As well as being realistic re players etc, one problem we have as a fan base is that have got very accustomed to shopping at Aldi. I'm not sure we are quite at the Waitrose deli counter just yet, but we arn't going to get promoted with the recent strategy of loan players and punts from the Austrian 2nd division. If Chansiri is serious about the Premier League in 2 years, I'd get ready for a completely different approach.

I think this is becoming my catchphrase on here....but you can't physically force clubs to sell their best players...nor can you tie up a player and drag them to a club who have finished considerably lower than them in previous seasons. 

No amount of money is going to make the likes of Chris Martin turn down the chance to play in the Premier League....which he will be doing next season unless Derby wee wee tail everything up.

I mean. Let's look at Derby and their recruitment over recent years. They probably deserved to go up last season & will probably go onto win the league this season, deservedly. They've built a team over the years consisting of academy graduates, loans, buys from the Scottish leagues, lower english leagues and players left out in the cold by prem teams. They've spent a fair amount of money on these players, but they've not really bought anyone from the championship apart from Craig Forsyth...to my knowledge, because it's near on impossible to cherry pick the best players...because the best players in the championship won't move unless it's a move to a premier league team.

It's not about not being able to afford them. It's about being logical. 

On the other hand James McLean is a cracking player, and a completely realistic signing. Wigan are probably going down, he's above league one standard. We now have the money to tempt him. A championship player who would be realistic is Adam Le Fondre because Cardiff clearly want shot, the same situation there as McGugan and Watford...and Lloyd Dyer. If you're going to look at championship players we're gonna have to cherry pick the best ones from the lower ends of the league. No way will we tempt a player from a team that have finished top 10...unless they're categorically not wanted.

Players that I'd be looking at;

Lewis McGugan

Ben Marshall - were a few rumblings that he's not happy at Blackburn. 

Anthony Knockeart

Connor Wickham - the most unrealistic of the lot but something just isn't happening with him and Sunderland. A loan move could be on the cards. 

James McLean

Rohan Ince

Liam Moore - loan

Alex Pritchard

Ben Reeves

Jack Grealish - loan

Sam Clucas

Bradley Dack

Chris Brunt

Tom Carroll - loan

Ryan Gauld

John Egan

ALF

Edited by FlyingOwl

Ryan Gauld? 

More chance of me learning to perform auto-fellatio.

Played 5 times for Sporting this season. Mostly in the cup.

Granted, played for their B side often enough.

Boys bound to get home sick soon enough and want a move back to Britain. Wouldn't be an outright signing, think he's got a hefty buy out clause and a six year deal. But a loan move wouldn't be out of the question, no?

It's a stretch... no guarantee the lad'll be missing the UK enough to warrant a long term loan move back, especially to Sheffield- it'd be more likely to Dundee wouldn't it?

Of course, never say never- and I'd absolutely love to have the lad here- but I can't see it happening either through a loan or transfer

It's a stretch... no guarantee the lad'll be missing the UK enough to warrant a long term loan move back, especially to Sheffield- it'd be more likely to Dundee wouldn't it?

Of course, never say never- and I'd absolutely love to have the lad here- but I can't see it happening either through a loan or transfer

Like you say, it's a big IF regarding whether he's missing home. But IF he was and Sporting were wanting to loan him out (which I believe they would if he's only made 2 league appearances this year) then it wouldn't be a loan back to Dundee. That would be a backward step.

It would either be a move to Celtic so he's at least playing European football, though the league standard isn't THAT great. Or a move to the Championship/lower end Premier League....probably as North as possible. 

Would never be a full transfer anyway, it's something like a 60million euro buy out clause. But I've a feeling we'll be seeing him in Britain for a loan spell if he's not in Sportings immediate plans right now.

Well if you were in charge we'd be losing Semedo and Lee.

I don't get why you'd offer either of them just a year.

Semedo has been up there with our best players of the season. Might even pip Tom Lees to 2nd best player if he carries on this form. He's only just turned 30 so he's in the prime of his career now.

Lee is in his mid 20's. Played well this season in patches, though he's been played out of position often & carried knocks. He's even showed some goal scoring form this season. And if rumours are to be believed we turned down a fair sum of money from Burnley in January for him. No way is he worth just a years extension.

Upto to you if you believe those rumours. Semedo loves the club? So he'll surely sign a 1 year extension lol not bothered if lee doesn't sign I'd maybe only offer Loovens the 2 year deal and thats weather he signs again or not. We've taken 3 players on 3 year deals in January just don't want to commit to having this particular squad for too long. Edited by parkerowl

Upto to you if you believe those rumours. Semedo loves the club? So he'll surely sign a 1 year extension lol not bothered if lee doesn't sign I'd maybe only offer Loovens the 2 year deal and that weather he signs again or not. We've taken 3 players on 3 year deals in January just don't want to commit to having this particular squad for too long.

Semedo does love the club.

But I'm sure he loves his family and lifestyle a lot more. He'll want the security of knowing he's earning X amount a week for the next so many years rather than X amount a week for another year and then not knowing what's going to happen. That's why players want long contracts. 

Offering him a year would be an insult to how well he's done this season. He deserves more than that. 

Like you say, it's a big IF regarding whether he's missing home. But IF he was and Sporting were wanting to loan him out (which I believe they would if he's only made 2 league appearances this year) then it wouldn't be a loan back to Dundee. That would be a backward step.

It would either be a move to Celtic so he's at least playing European football, though the league standard isn't THAT great. Or a move to the Championship/lower end Premier League....probably as North as possible. 

Would never be a full transfer anyway, it's something like a 60million euro buy out clause. But I've a feeling we'll be seeing him in Britain for a loan spell if he's not in Sportings immediate plans right now.

Fair enough- I'm not fully persuaded but it's hard for me to argue against much of that. 

Next question is whether we're savvy enough to go for him if he were made available. 

Fair enough- I'm not fully persuaded but it's hard for me to argue against much of that. 

Next question is whether we're savvy enough to go for him if he were made available. 

Probably not.

Like every other rascal, he'll end up at Derby or Forest.

I wish someone would nuke the midlands.

Guest Hola Tidman

2 wingers + Keane + McGugan and we would be up there or thereabouts.

This.

Wholesale changes would be detrimental.

McGugan would have to be the top target for me this summer. 2 wingers and a striker. It wouldn't surprise me if we try to keep Keane whether it be on loan or permanent. For me though a statement of intent would be getting Kenwynne Jones back at Hillsborough.

McGugan would have to be the top target for me this summer. 2 wingers and a striker. It wouldn't surprise me if we try to keep Keane whether it be on loan or permanent. For me though a statement of intent would be getting Kenwynne Jones back at Hillsborough.

Happy to have Keane on board as a replacement for Madine, but I think we still require an experienced goalgetter Unless we were increasing the pool of strikers, it would mean us moving on one of Nuhiu, May or Lavery. In my opinion, five strikers is about right for a club with play off ambitions. If not, I suppose Lavery or May could go out on loan.

Guest Daniel Walker

IF I was to bring in 5 players on permanent deals...

Lewis McGugan

James McLean

Anthony Knockeart

Adam Le Fondre

Devante Cole

Agree with all other than Adam le fondre

Also if will Keane keeps scoring I would be tempted to add him to the list instead of Alf

GK: Westwood / Dawson or whoever youngster we have

LB: Mattock / Helen

CB: Loovens / Zayatte

CB: Lees / Kelhar or Dielna

RB: Vermilj / Palmer

LM: NEW SIGNING / Magahoma

CM: Semedo / Melo

CM: McGugan / Hutchinson

RM: NEW SIGNING / Maguire

ST: May / Keane (Season long loan)

ST: Nuhiu / Bus

Then a few extras to complete

Lee

Floro

1/2 NEW SIGNINGS

sorted

ship out the riff raff as well - Madine, Corry, McCabe, Coke etc - farm out some youth on loan and if there is an opportunity to replace Maguire and Magahoma, so be it

keeper;1 westwood, 2 new or kirkland-can't see kirkland playing second fiddle for another season unless he gets another role at the club that makes him happy. 3 youngsters

lb; 1 new 2 helan/dielna 3 ? - unless mattock really stakes a claim

cb 1 loovens/new-loovens gets injured and suspended quite a lot so a 3rd first choice cb would be good to have 2 new/dielna-i like him but particularly at cb so far

cb 1 lees 2 zayatte

rb 1 palmer 2 new/vermijl-cant rate him yet, maybe one for the future or could even be great, just dont know 3 buxton, servant and consistent performer but been out nearly all season and could be leaving

lm 1 new 2 maghoma/helan 3 dielna-would like to see him played more as a left midfielder, not a winger but has a cross and could protect the left back

cm 1 mcgugan-absolute must sign 2 new 3 lee-not sure if we're gonna keep him if a bid comes in, like him and would like him to stay but we can't keep everyone

cm 1 semedo- have to keep him even if as a squad player and is first choice imo at the moment 2 hutch 3 melo-again dont know, hl looks good but portuguese league isn't a high standard despite a lot of technically brilliant players, could be nr.1 but have to wait and see/dielna

rm 1 new 2 maguire-has a spark, needs more players around him on his wavelength. might clam up and turn out to be a billy big boots if he doesnt get regular first team football. gray will be the judge so we might see him leave to barnsley or toytown for a fee      3 lee, same as dielna at lm

as for the forwards;

keane-still have to see if he's worth signing permanently. as we know (humphreys, morrison) young strikers can be a flash in the pan. then again his goals to games ratio is good at the moment.

may-still has to prove himself, but we dont have anyway of knowing due to lack of providers and creativity (pre mcgugan) so due to the fee we should be keeping him. could still come good

nuhiu-is solid and i think we should keep him, still needs to find his feet but imo has potential despite alot of glaring misses and always puts a shift in

lavery-big potential but had his season stolen from him, definitely worth keeping to see what he can do. is definitely a goalscorer but we don't know at this level consistently yet so definitely not first choice

bus- dont know, scored a few in bulgaria. not an avid follower of bulgarian football but cant imagine its that good. have to wait and see

maguire-never really played upfront for us, maybe with a new winger he would get a game every now and then but probably not

madine-unless he goes on a real consistent scoring run for blackpool he's gonna have to go. owes a lot to us and should never forget that. gave us a good season and is doing well to earn himself an offer at blackpool for next season

new-need 1 or 2 fresh faces, 1 definitely 2 if keane doesnt prove himself or we cant keep him. hopefully without a fee and initially playing for their contracts (6 months or with an option to cancel before january)

as for the rest; (off the top of my head)

coke-writings on the wall isnt it? is more than likely to leave, if he still has a year on his contract hopefully we can get a small fee and should be looking to loan him out so we can move him on.

kelhar-injured the whole season, cant see us keep him and think it was very courteous of us to keep him in work till the end of the season. should be grateful to us whatever happens and think it was the right thing to do on our part and should encourage others to sign quicker for us.

mccabe and corry-are they gone already? time to be moving on. mccabe was a big disappointment and maybe its time we stop looking north for the next big thing.

all budget dependent of course and players still have time to prove themselves. i suggest 5 or 6 new faces (not including mcgugan who im hoping is a foregone conclusion) and i trust stu to mix in new without going wholesale and shipping too many in and out.

i like that chansiri is suggesting 2 years, going for broke in one season is asking for trouble.