Would five players do it?

2 wingers more important than centre mid and centre back I think. If we had signed who derby have signed on loan ince, and bent especially we could be up there. With this I believe we could seriously challenge next year, managed correctly:

GK 1 Westwood 2 Kirkland

RB 1 Palmer 2 Vermijl (As much as I like Buxton think he will go in the summer unfortunately)

LB 1 Helan 2 Dielna

CB 1 Lees 2 New

CB 1 Loovens 2 Zayatte or new depending on quality of new

CM 1 Semedo/Hutchinson 2 Melo

CM 1 Mccugan/Lee 

RM 1 Maguire or new 2 Maguire or new

LM 1 New 2 New

ST 1 May 2 Lavery

ST 1 New 2 New

1 and 2 being 1st and second choice

So we get rid of Bus. Bit harsh

Defence looks ok, but Midfield creativity, wingers and more potency up front are the key requirements.

Gray has to be really ruthless with players who aren't good enough and precise about the ones he wants to bring in if we are to be successful. He and team will be under pressure from the word go next term.

It's going to cost a bit though and as has been mentioned it will be intersting to see how much DC spends at the start of this process.

Complete the building we needed to do this year, McGugan to fill the central midfield role, then add a winger and a quality forward. The rest can be upgraded when the opportunity arises. We don't need wholesale changes, so any other investment could be young talent who we can develop, and who will act as back up

Complete the building we needed to do this year, McGugan to fill the central midfield role, then add a winger and a quality forward. The rest can be upgraded when the opportunity arises. We don't need wholesale changes, so any other investment could be young talent who we can develop, and who will act as back up

Agreed but I still think we need one or two heavy hitters to give us the extra oomph and depth we will need to get us though the campaign. It's a proper slog as we all know, plus we will be competing with ex prem sides with deeper pockets and stonger squads

Fitness and avoiding the curse will be critical! Burnley were so lucky with injuries when they got promoted - it makes a difference too!

Edited by Owlsofrustration

Agree with this. Much will depend on the effectiveness of our scouting network as I suspect that the recent signing of Bus, Melo and Vermijl might well be a pointer to things to come. It will be interesting to see how those three do before the end of this season assuming they are fit and get opportunities. I doubt we'll be spending multi millions on any one player but at least now we should have the budget to reasonably compete for quality 'Bosmans' and continental bargains.

I think people should brace themselves for some old favouites being released in the summer at the end of their contracts too.

Edited by Dagmeister

Guest conisbrough

Only Semedo has proved consistently he can do covering job in front of back four. Melo was bought and may be able to do job but not even in matchday squad, Vermilj was bought for right back role but Palmer keeping him out. Think Gray must have seen need to strengthen in these areas especially with buying players.

It had positive result in Semedo and Palmer form has improved but if purchases not as good as Gray thought would not surprise me to see him get others for this role. Think Gray is big enough to admit if any mistake is made by him.

The Academy coach who knew Tom Lees and tipped Gray off may know some weeds players who are out of contract who could be beneficial. Aware Sam Byram out of contract.

Goalkeeper: We're covered with Westwood. Can't see Kirkland staying so we'll have to do with a weakened #2, but invariably that'll either be someone we can get on  a free or our current crop of younger talent. It's not ideal but it's not an area we need to panic in.

RB: Actually don't think we need to strengthen there. Although I don't massively rate Palmer- Vermijl is yet to prove whether he's good enough to take his place or if he'll be a backup to Palmer- but we have enough depth there I feel to warrant Palmer being first choice and letting him further develop

CBs: Feel we MAY need one more if Kelhar doesn't turn out to be good enough. Plus with Loovens' increasing age it might be we need another experienced head to go next to Tom Lees to steady him for when GL can't play. I think this'll largely depend on Zayatte's performances, if he keeps up how he's been recently I wouldn't complain if we didn't get another CB through

LB: Helan and Dielna. 'Nough said, both can do a job and we would just have to get a loan in if Helan was injured for any length of time

RM: Maguire isn't good enough for starting 11 for me- let's get someone in and have Maguire/Maghoma as decent backup

CMs: Defensively, we're actually OK in this position. Hutchinson makes an excellent squad player, ditto Semedo and could/would probably be OK in a starting 11 as the most defensive of a centre midfield pairing/3. Offensively though? Need at least one more (besides McGugan who we HAVE to sign in summer). Would be great to get an exciting youngster like Alli from a lower league though who has loads of potential... seems unlikely but I can dream!

LM: Vital we get one of these guys in

STs: May, Bus, Nuhiu, Keane. If we could get Keane on the cheap, I'd be fine to keep him or have him on a season long loan- but it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't. Jury is still out on Bus, May and Nuhiu based on current ability and impact would have to be squad players IMO. This means that potentially we'd need one more striker- and make it an absolute goldie. I think two new strikers would upset the balance and be an unnecessary waste of funds because the increased potency of our midfield would probably be enough to get more goals (and make the above strikers look better!), but we can't go ahead with four "average" strikers, we need at least one gem who is GUARANTEED to score 20+ a season.

So in summary:

(Possibly) one established and experienced CB

Two wingers, ideally ones that can play either flank

Another attack minded centre midfielder

One goalscoring striker who would probably cost about as much as the other 4 signings put together but will probably become the stuff of Wednesday legend

And the most important signing? A new attacking/shooting coach

I honestly think this will be the most important signing of the lot- and saves a heck of a lot of money in the long term too instead of throwing money at expensive faces hoping to get goals. I know it's a completely different sport, but last American Football season, the Detroit Lions had one of the worst defenses in the NFL. Pre-season they didn't draft any new defenders and people were worried they'd leak points, but they DID sign a new Defensive coach. The ended up with one of the best defenses this season. I'm not expecting a new attacking coach to turn average players into worldies, but clearly whoever the current one is isn't doing the best of jobs and we NEED someone to come in and ensure we score goals and create more chances. Get on it Stuey!

And then promotion, easy as that lol

But in all seriousness, the core of this squad is so so good that the OP is right, we'd only need 4/5 new faces to probably get into the play-offs. I mean, we're 10th out of a league of 24 teams and averaging scoring less than a goal a game? It remains to be seen where we'll finish but that seems an incredible stat to me, so it's vital that we keep the majority of the current crop together and predominantly add attack minded players. And then HMS Pi$$ the League is off  :stuwinky:

Guest conisbrough

At Reading it was clear without Semedo we had no one who could same job as him this includes Hutchinson who goes to ground too easily. Gray staed after matcg we had midfield which did not tackle. hence why Melo was brought in.

GK Westwood/NEW

RB Palmer/Vermijl

LB Helan/Dielna

CB Lees/Zayatte

CB Loovens/NEW

DM Semedo/Hutchinson/Melo

RM NEW/Maguire

LM NEW/Maghoma

AM McGugan/Lee

CF May/Bus

ST NEW/Nuhiu

1. Not sure if we need a new reserve GK, maybe time to promote Wildsmith or Dawson.

2. Definitely need another left sided CB to push Loovens and eventually take his place at some point next season.

3. Right sided midfielder who can cross a ball consistently is a must.

4. Left sided midfielder who can cross a ball consistently is a must.

5. Lewis McGugan

6. An all round front man with Championship experience.

Buy the best players in the Championship, that fit the budget. McGugan is a great example of this. Premiership players come with bigger salaries, egos and struggle with the pace, number of games and power needed in the Championship. They may be better players technically, but this league is brutal. Build a team to get out of the Championship, them build a team to stay in it.

Off the top of my head, the following players, if affordable, would be the kind of player I'd be looking at;

James Maclean

Rudy Gestede

Chris Martin

Bakery Sako

Sam Byram

Lewis Cook

Danny Drinkwater

Wes Hoolihan

And if the budget is bigger than we imagine, go and fetch Jordan Rhodes from Blackburn. I'm amazed no one from the Premier League has taken a punt on that lad.

Buy the best players in the Championship, that fit the budget. McGugan is a great example of this. Premiership players come with bigger salaries, egos and struggle with the pace, number of games and power needed in the Championship. They may be better players technically, but this league is brutal. Build a team to get out of the Championship, them build a team to stay in it.

Off the top of my head, the following players, if affordable, would be the kind of player I'd be looking at;

James Maclean

Rudy Gestede - wanted by prem teams

Chris Martin - premier league bound with or without derby

Bakery Sako - was with wolves in the prem, won't leave wolves if it's just for another champ team. Will also be on around £20k a week. 

Sam Byram 

Lewis Cook

Danny Drinkwater - One of Leicesters better players. Won't happen. 

Wes Hoolihan

And if the budget is bigger than we imagine, go and fetch Jordan Rhodes from Blackburn. I'm amazed no one from the Premier League has taken a punt on that lad.

I think, whilst we have poo poo loads more money than we ever have done, we also need to remain realistic and not moan if we don't cherry pick the best players from this league. Put it this way, we won't be getting any of the current championship top tens best players. 

Upto the club but that's what I'd offer them.

Well if you were in charge we'd be losing Semedo and Lee.

I don't get why you'd offer either of them just a year.

Semedo has been up there with our best players of the season. Might even pip Tom Lees to 2nd best player if he carries on this form. He's only just turned 30 so he's in the prime of his career now. 

Lee is in his mid 20's. Played well this season in patches, though he's been played out of position often & carried knocks. He's even showed some goal scoring form this season. And if rumours are to be believed we turned down a fair sum of money from Burnley in January for him. No way is he worth just a years extension. 

I think, whilst we have poo poo loads more money than we ever have done, we also need to remain realistic and not moan if we don't cherry pick the best players from this league. Put it this way, we won't be getting any of the current championship top tens best players.

If we can't afford players from the Premier League, or top end players from the Championship, we may as well not bother. As well as being realistic re players etc, one problem we have as a fan base is that have got very accustomed to shopping at Aldi. I'm not sure we are quite at the Waitrose deli counter just yet, but we arn't going to get promoted with the recent strategy of loan players and punts from the Austrian 2nd division. If Chansiri is serious about the Premier League in 2 years, I'd get ready for a completely different approach.