Wednesday on a Wednesday

Around 2005, we moved our home midweek matches from (our traditional day of) Wednesday to Tuesday.  The decision to switch was made by Paul Sturrock who stated that playing on a Tuesday allowed us to better prepare for Saturday.  I remember that when this was announced, Sturrock presented some contrived argument about the number of hours between midweek and weekend games which he believed justified the switch.  A cynical person would argue that the change to Tuesday was actually put in place to allow Sturrock to spend Wednesday and Thursday with his family in Plymouth.

Given that we haven't actually transformed into world beaters by employing this tactic, should we switch our home midweek games back to Wednesday?  We are Sheffield Wednesday after all and playing on a Wednesday played a significant part in the creation of our beloved football club. 

Anyway, what do you think?  Would it be good for us to go back to playing our home midweek matches on a Wednesday? 

I like the Wednesday date as it shortens the amount of time needed for me to get 2 games in when I book to come over, like next week.

Come over on Saturday – Saturday game

Tuesday game – Leave on Tuesday

= 4 days

Come over on Wednesday – Wednesday game

Saturday game – Leave on Saturday

= 4 days

Is it even our choice?

Yes, if by "we" you mean the club.  I believe that we can state which night of the week the we want to play our midweek home games.  I think Blackburn traditionally play on a Wednesday.  It just seems wrong to me that Sheffield Wednesday play on home on a Tuesday. 

Tuesday seems about right now though. Take this week for example, everyone played on Tuesday night in the Championship apart from Forest vs Bournemouth on Wednesday. I suppose if we did move back to Wednesday we would get more media coverage due to there being less games. Only thing then is we'd want that to be positive coverage with wins rather than vice versa.