Any groundsmen out there?

The pitch at Hillsbprough has of course come in for some major criticism of late, so perhaps a groundsman might be able to shed some light on just why it is so bad, when others in the area appear better.

Admittedly I am no expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but I cannot for the life of me understand why, with such a threadbare pitch we put the sprinklers on just before kickoff on tuesday. With a "grassy" pitch it is said to be done to give the ball a bit of a "zip", but on that beach surely it just makes the surface heavier. Surely a roller would have been a more appropriate treatment?

The only explanation from the club has been that it is the so called "extreme" weather........that is just nonesense, the weather has not been that bad.....we have certainly not had prolonged periods of frost and snow, infact it has on the whole been relatively mild. So....are there any groundsmen out there who might be able to shed some light on the subject?

The pitch at Hillsbprough has of course come in for some major criticism of late, so perhaps a groundsman might be able to shed some light on just why it is so bad, when others in the area appear better.

Admittedly I am no expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but I cannot for the life of me understand why, with such a threadbare pitch we put the sprinklers on just before kickoff on tuesday. With a "grassy" pitch it is said to be done to give the ball a bit of a "zip", but on that beach surely it just makes the surface heavier. Surely a roller would have been a more appropriate treatment?

The only explanation from the club has been that it is the so called "extreme" weather........that is just nonesense, the weather has not been that bad.....we have certainly not had prolonged periods of frost and snow, infact it has on the whole been relatively mild. So....are there any groundsmen out there who might be able to shed some light on the subject?

The reason for the sprinklers is that the pitch doesn't cut up so much , it binds together so massive divots aren't carved out during play .

...flooding...shoddy replacement...rip it up in summer...

I understand that more than that is needed - I believe that some or all of the drainage is blocked with silt from the flood. I'm sure that's what the groundsman said previously. If this is the case then heaven knows how you clear out the silt.

Let's hope if this takeover rumour is the real deal this time that they can afford to fix up our neglected pitch.

And also fix up into the 21st Century our stadium, facilities and commercial side of the club, all things that have been neglected for far too long under the current owner and many previous ones too. 

I understand that more than that is needed - I believe that some or all of the drainage is blocked with silt from the flood. I'm sure that's what the groundsman said previously. If this is the case then heaven knows how you clear out the silt.

...well presumably that insurance claim would have covered the cost of removal...but it didn't happen...maybe...seems like...

Maybe the time has come to return to the Turf pitches of old. I well remember as a lad that the turf used was supposedly that used on the Old Wembley pitch - Cumberland Turf

As for spending money , or not, the pitch has been relaid at leaast twice, and I believe , three times since the latest floods.

...well presumably that insurance claim would have covered the cost of removal...but it didn't happen...maybe...seems like...

Brian Laws said on Football Heaven before the match the other night (to paraphrase him) that maybe not all of the insurance money paid out to repair the pitch went towards repairing the pitch. Obviously, he has to be careful with his statements (given his former employers' willingness to litigate) but his few words could actually speak many.

Maybe the time has come to return to the Turf pitches of old. I well remember as a lad that the turf used was supposedly that used on the Old Wembley pitch - Cumberland TurfAs for spending money , or not, the pitch has been relaid at leaast twice, and I believe , three times since the latest floods.

...which, I believe, is down to the drainage issue with the silt that I mentioned in the above post. Until we solve the drainage problem, we're just patching up a large wound with sticking plasters.

...which, I believe, is down to the drainage issue with the silt that I mentioned in the above post. Until we solve the drainage problem, we're just patching up a large wound with sticking plasters.

and ditto for the stadium and facilities.

Dear Council,

Here's an offer for land acquisition of Hillsborough Park - £1. Here's our voluntary CIL contribution of £many pounds - spend it on what is required (schools, libraries, leisure facilities parking, sewers roads, pavements etc.). Regeneration of the whole area - value for money and community benefit - revise the Penistone Road and surrounding areas Regeneration Strategy and we can contribute significantly. Other local businesses will get on board too.

Or not, whatever.

Thanks SWFC

Instead of ripping it up every season why not let the bloody thing regrow generate itself over the summer for once, surely cant be a bad thing, they used too and it was always Hillsborough or highbury up for the top award each year.............and they shouldn't have sacked steve kiddy

There are 2 issues as i see it..

1) The drains are shot. Therefore it becomes a mud bath at this time of year. Pre the floods it would just drain away.

2) My bet is the quality of the seed and dressing used to re-lay the pitch each year is bottom end quality.

Basically you get what you pay for...

I'd like to see new owners replace the turf asap. Top teams have their turf replaced mid season quite frequently... This would solve problem to some degree until end of season by which point I'd like to see the whole thing dug up and drainage, under soil heating etc all replaced!