The pitch at Hillsborough causing players to tense up

Sheffield Wednesday manager Stuart Gray: "The pitch isn't the best but it's the same for both teams.

"I want to get the ball down and play but unfortunately for players, they are tensing up because the ball's bouncing all over the place.

"When you do get in and get opportunities, you've got to be more clinical in front of goal."

Owlstalk Shop

Why were we rubbish at home well before the pitch was crap then ? 

3 home wins in 19 league games going back to last season.

The pitch is just an easy excuse now

The pitch is terrible - same for both sides but I can't remember seeing a good game on there for ages.  It does affect the game, entertainment value, and the style of play so it needs sorting from a commercial point of view.  Having said all that, we have no cutting edge. Says something when the player offering the most threat is a left back who comes off the bench

Sunday league teams play on worse pitches and score more goals.

If the problem is that the tactics aren't working for the pitch, then change the tactics. If some players can't cut it on the pitch and don't play them.

Something is extremely off at home and I feel we're constantly pushing the same thing without any results so we need to change something. But as if that something is the pitch!

The pitch is crap - Remember Helan tripping over the ball as it bobbled on the touchline last night?

It's a bit like paying £27 to go to the theatre to watch "Hamlet" with rubbish battlements scenery falling down around the actors' ears.

"A pass! Poor Yorick... On mi' 'ead, Horatio!"

Has the pitch deteriorated since the groundsman left a couple of seasons ago. Not sure who looks after it now, but in previous years (going 20 - 30 years), you'd sometimes get the odd snippet in the media about the groundsman and how's he's looking after the pitch; seems to have gone quiet.

We seemed to got over the issues of the new South stand roof blocking the sun.

Birmingham manager Gary Rowett:

"Under the circumstances, I think that's a fantastic, gritty performance and a very good clean sheet and point for us.

"I think the pitch had a complete bearing on the game, probably a hundred per cent bearing on the game."

Realistically is there anything we can do about the pitch in the short term?

You would have thought that we could at least have had covers on and used those mobile thermal type lights like they use at the emirates.

We used to have one of the better pitches in the league so it's surprising how we have let it go this season.

Weather isn't an excuse.

It's difficult to do much about the pitch at this time of year without spending a lot of money. You would need to increase the temperature and daylight length to get the grass to grow.

It could be done with special lights but it would be expensive so it won't happen.

1. GR said: "I almost embarrassingly said to the players at half-time: 'Listen, just kick the ball as far as you can down the pitch..." #SWFC

0 replies8 retweets2 favorites
     Retweet8
     Favorite2
    More

Rowett added: "There were was that much sand, the players might have been better off playing in bare feet or in flip-flops." #SWFC