The reason we don't score......

Guest wrightson

Guest wrightson

People might not like this but one reason is what appears to be the tactics of gray.

The defensive line is 15-20 yards too deep when we have a lot of the ball which means when we try and play through midfield there is too big a gap to the strikers so we end up playing sidewards. The defence need to push up right to the halfway line and play in the oppositions half.

Another reason is we are not aggressive enough when attacking the ball. Nuhius header summed it up as well as his shot on the edge of the box. Just to look at him when the ball is coming over he seems to want the defender to win the ball so he doesn't have to miss. Everything about everyone's finishing lacks conviction

Finally the delivery from our wide players isn't good enough. Maguire was terrible today but the crowd were still shocked when he went off. Maghoma at least linked up with others and put in a couple of dangerous balls. We need 2 wingers who can deliver the ball in to good areas. Helen excited the crowd but again his final ball isn't good enough.

I'm fed up of hearing that the ball will start to go in for us. We don't create enough clear cut chances. If we missed 5 sitters a game I'd understand but we don't.

On a positive note we never looked like conceding against a team on good form. But we really need to work on something to sort our problems.

Starting with May and Keane up front will be a start and build from there

Guest SemedoISgod

most frustrating part for me, is that when I try name some realistic targets we should be chasing to improve the squad, I keep coming unstuck. In reality; we are stuck with budget that we've got and Stuart Gray knows that. I'm sure he knows exactly what we need but with the take over saga lingering over our heads again, our hands are tied.

I wasnt shocked when Maguire went off. He was shocking tonight. I lost count the amount of times he had too many touches and lost possession, gave the ball away or took too long to make a pass. His crossing was awful. Helan showed far more when he came on. As for Maghoma. He started brightly but then went back into frustrate mode. For instance when Baker was on the ball and he was just stood upfield on his heels ball watching. Then there was the usual bottling it when it came to 50/50 challenges.

Our team midfield to forwards seem to be a group of individuals who have no idea what each other is going to do. Our forward play is awful and as posted in another thread we may as well give the ball to their keeper when we have a corner as I poo poo myself for fear of conceding on the counter attack.

Guest wrightson

We don't move up as a team so when it goes up to Nuhiu he is isolated. Also the central midfield plays too deep so aren't there to pick up second balls.

Midfield being too deep is because the defence is. The team move up as one but when defence are so deep there is bound to be a big gap and it be hard for midfield to get there.

If defence defends on half way when we have a lot of the ball the midfield will already be in the oppositions half

Defence should take the middle ground, ie top of the centre circle arc

it shortens the pitch, closes gaps from midfield to both defence & strikers

and a long ball over the top wont be a problem as keeper is sweeper

IF you camp on half way line to run big risks, ie offside and footrace to our box

Take the middle ground!

Guest wrightson

The top teams close the pitch right up. Derby do it with 2 of the slowest defenders in the league their knowledge and reading of the game stops foot races etc. they back themselves to deal with it and that's what we need to do

The top teams close the pitch right up. Derby do it with 2 of the slowest defenders in the league their knowledge and reading of the game stops foot races etc. they back themselves to deal with it and that's what we need to do

So in a nutshell you agree with me (roughly)

Guest wrightson

So in a nutshell you agree with me (roughly)

Yeah I do agree if just go all the way to half way but even the edge of the centre circle would be better than what it is now!

You can tell that SG was a defender and so was LB so maybe he needs an attacking coach to help him

Guest TommyTank

Away from home, sitting deeper works, it brings the home side out. We have it cracked.

However, at home we are getting done by our own game.

At home we are the team who need to break open stubborn or deep defences, we cant.

We have to have a few options ie Plan A, Plan B, Plan C and maybe Plan D. 

We at the moment have Plan A.

Plan A, keep the ball, pass it around, draw the away team out, killer ball.

A few problems identified with our plan A.

1. We arent the best team at keeping the ball and the pitch isnt helping.

2. How many players do we have who can play the killer ball?

3. To be able to play 'the ball', you need movement, good movement from maybe 3 players in front of you, through the middle or into the channels.

a- A key part of movement is Pace.

b- Pace is pointless without an end product.

So to summarise we are one dimensional and not very good at what we do.

This is for home games only just to clarify.

Guest wrightson

If we do still have john deehan he obviously hasn't had much of an impact. I'd try get hirsty in to help and also waddle on a temp basis to try and bring out any creativeness we may have

Didn't see tonight's game, but Niuhu has always been someone who waits for the ball to arrive rather than attacking it. Not sure why this hasn't been addressed.

I wholeheartedly disagree with most of the ridiculous criticism that Nuhiu gets on here; but this is absolutely right. He needs to attack the ball far more often. It looks like he's always hoping to be able to take it cleanly and play a nice neat pass. Sometimes you just have to make a nuisance of yourself.

We don't move up as a team so when it goes up to Nuhiu he is isolated. Also the central midfield plays too deep so aren't there to pick up second balls.

It's bordering on miraculous how good he is at holding it up for ages while the rest of the team join in.

Then he misses one header and he's called everything from a pig to a dog on here!