Video - Eric Cantona on trial at Sheffield Wednesday

You don't get enough pieces these days that end with an update on what gigs the manager has been to recently. Maybe Stuart Gray should sign off his interviews with a one liner on his musical tastes?: "It was a good performance, we were unlikely not to score today with the chances we created and I really enjoyed the Take That live at Wembley dvd last night."

I've also just read this, linked through the bbc site: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-utd/exclusive-francis-sets-the-record-straight-on-why-sheffield-wednesday-did-not-sign-cantona-1-4470843 Interesting but the way Francis speaks in that video does give the impression he was having a look at him.

Trev couldn't win, Cantona was arrogant and wanted our club to sign him without seeing him play apart from a little kick around on a indoor plastic pitch, big risk.

Trev got slated for not signing him, but if we had have signed him and he had been crap then Trev would have got slated for signing him without seeing him play a full match etc....

What a total load of codswallop

That's pretty much totally wrong

Owlstalk Shop

You don't get enough pieces these days that end with an update on what gigs the manager has been to recently. Maybe Stuart Gray should sign off his interviews with a one liner on his musical tastes?: "It was a good performance, we were unlikely not to score today with the chances we created and I really enjoyed the Take That live at Wembley dvd last night."

I've also just read this, linked through the bbc site: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-utd/exclusive-francis-sets-the-record-straight-on-why-sheffield-wednesday-did-not-sign-cantona-1-4470843 Interesting but the way Francis speaks in that video does give the impression he was having a look at him.

I don't know how you edit on here but  I meant "unlucky not to score" although "unlikely" was probably my subconcious taking control and trying to be more realistic!

lol

Whose to say Eric would had been the enigma for us anyway on his own ? we had some class players back then, the best we had ever had in modern times, but still no where as good as Leeds and Man Utd when they had Eric, he could have wasted away and been ruined like a handful of decent players did when we signed them.

Owen Morrison would have taught him how to play well

Owlstalk Shop

Trev couldn't win, Cantona was arrogant and wanted our club to sign him without seeing him play apart from a little kick around on a indoor plastic pitch, big risk.

Trev got slated for not signing him, but if we had have signed him and he had been crap then Trev would have got slated for signing him without seeing him play a full match etc....

poo poo happens, Trev has been one of our more successful modern managers no matter how some try to hide it and make the usual big fat Judas ron excuses, move on

Wilkinson signed him without seeing him.  He was a French international and rated as one of the top five strikers in Europe.

Whose to say Eric would had been the enigma for us anyway on his own ? we had some class players back then, the best we had ever had in modern times, but still no where as good as Leeds and Man Utd when they had Eric, he could have wasted away and been ruined like a handful of decent players did when we signed them.

No where near as good as L**ds or Man U?  We only finished 7 points behind L**ds the year they won it and looked the better team v Man U in the League Cup final the year before.

I've only seen videos of Messi.I'd sign him tho.

Platini personally recommended him.Should have just signed him.

We were in the top 4-5 teams in England at that point.Did we finish 3rd that season? Signing Cantona could well have pushed us to the next level. Could have been a pivotal point in our history.

Wilkinson signed him without seeing him.  He was a French international and rated as one of the top five strikers in Europe.

Agreed Francis Didn't need to see him on grass he was a French international, definitely Tricky Trev's biggest mistake in management.

Leeds won the title in his first year there and then He did it with Man United the following season.

As much as I dislike L**ds I think that's a bit harsh.  Wilkinson had built a very good side there not unlike what he had being done for us.  They were very hard working, well organised and, had a quality midfield; Strachan, Macallister, Batty, Speed.

You're right Man Utd did fall away and that's where I wonder whether Cantona made the difference in getting L**ds over the line.

I still stand by that Leeds were the worst team in my lifetime to win the league. The season after they nearly went down!

Not saying it was a fluke just an average team who made the most of what they had and other big clubs were in a mess.

I remember people saying at time when we had a fighting chance of winning the league going into the last two games that we also would have been the worst team ever to have won the league.