We need 74 Pts

Guest Mancunian_Owl

The teams above us will still have to play each other.  We had 31 points after 23 games.  We would need to achieve 45 points from the second set of 23 games I reckon.  We're 6 points towards that target, so 39 points from 20 games...  It's possible.  With a touch of luck and some form from our strikers we might sneak 6th spot.

The next three games we should be looking to win if we are serious about aiming for 6th.  

Watford (currently in 6th) are on course to finish on 80 points!

Wolves (7th) are on course to finish on 75.

I suspect we'll need at least 2 points a game.

14 wins

13 wins, 1 draw

12 wins, 4 draws

11 wins, 7 draws

10 wins, 10 draws

Basically no chance!

So, as I said on another thread, let's forget all that, throw caution to the wind defensively and just finish the season with a bit of a flourish. 5-1 one week, 0-4 the next, then 4-4...etc. Leaking goals galore at the back, but throwing the kitchen sink at it nonetheless. A minimum of 4 goals in every game. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!!!

We've got a tough run coming up. The next half of the remaining games are all against teams who have plenty to play for, or are on good runs.

The last stretch should be better though - with 8 games to go, most won't have much to play for.

If we could get over 60 points I'd be pleased, anything over 14th place and I'd be happy. Top half would be an excellent season, don't see us mounting a play off challenge though.

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Of course we are all happier that we are moving up the table, I've not seen any posts here that people are getting over ambitious. I think its fair to say that the next leap is a big one to make it to the playoffs. 

My question was, is there enough games left for us to make the playoffs given our opposition. I can't see Wolves keeping their current rate of form and winning that many games, at the same time I think some of the other teams will have an indifferent or bad run at some point.

Of course we are all happier that we are moving up the table, I've not seen any posts here that people are getting over ambitious. I think its fair to say that the next leap is a big one to make it to the playoffs. 

My question was, is there enough games left for us to make the playoffs given our opposition. I can't see Wolves keeping their current rate of form and winning that many games, at the same time I think some of the other teams will have an indifferent or bad run at some point.

Yes, we can make the play-offs but Milan has to spend and spend big to do so and I mean BIG!!!! :ph34r:

What does "over-ambitious" mean in this context?  What is wrong with being ambitious?   

Edited by shandypants

So, as I said on another thread, let's forget all that, throw caution to the wind defensively and just finish the season with a bit of a flourish. 5-1 one week, 0-4 the next, then 4-4...etc. Leaking goals galore at the back, but throwing the kitchen sink at it nonetheless. A minimum of 4 goals in every game. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!!!

I disagree.  

If we abandon our principles now, then people we think we went to pot in the second half of the season.  Better to carry on as we are and finish just outside the play offs, than to change our whole philosophy and not make the play offs.  Might not be as entertaining but it would show definite progress and make us more attractive to players and investors next season.

Yes, we can make the play-offs but Milan has to spend and spend big to do so and I mean BIG!!!! :ph34r:

What does "over-ambitious" mean in this context? What is wrong with being ambitious?

If we are losing 6m a year ( I reckon it'll be less now) then ambitious extends to signing free players on higher wages.

Really ambitious would be blowing 500k on someone in the hopes that either we get into the top 6, a cup semi or they go onto be sold for millions.

Difficult to justify gambling when every bugger is doing the same

I disagree.

If we abandon our principles now, then people we think we went to pot in the second half of the season. Better to carry on as we are and finish just outside the play offs, than to change our whole philosophy and not make the play offs. Might not be as entertaining but it would show definite progress and make us more attractive to players and investors next season.

I take it you don't go to games then? "Not as entertaining" is a reyt understatement. Especially at Hillsborough. The games seem to drag on for hours. When they hold the added time board up, I pray for 1 minute; but it's always 4 and feels like 14.

Finishing just outside the play offs is the same result as finishing a couple below that. I'm not sure having the record for lowest ever goals scored in a season (which we're well on course for) is any more attractive really.

If we are losing 6m a year ( I reckon it'll be less now) then ambitious extends to signing free players on higher wages.

Really ambitious would be blowing 500k on someone in the hopes that either we get into the top 6, a cup semi or they go onto be sold for millions.

Difficult to justify gambling when every bugger is doing the same

Ah, that's where we differ.  I don't see signing "free"s on higher wages as ambitious - just par for the course.  Maybe £550K for a player could be seen as ambitious but, again, I see this as par for the course.  Everyone else is doing these things, therefore, if we don't then we go backwards. 

Ah, that's where we differ. I don't see signing "free"s on higher wages as ambitious - just par for the course. Maybe £550K for a player could be seen as ambitious but, again, I see this as par for the course. Everyone else is doing these things, therefore, if we don't then we go backwards.

If my business is posting £6m of losses in ayear a year, the first thing I do is reduce all outgoings as much as possible. And make sure any spend is as low but efficient as possible.

I certainly don't kit everyone out in top of the line cars that cost a fortune to run.

We are in the same boat, and will be until our revenue streams improve. This is where I think Milan can be held to task, our shirt sales, sponsorships, club shop, catering and facilities is way below par.