The best goals from the most skilful striker we've ever had

Guest Frickley Owl

The Hirst goal v Coventry in 88 is as good as anything I've seen from an out an out striker in our kit. His positioning and awareness to pick the ball up, the touch into space then explosive turn and run, the little flick around the defender and finished off with a pin point finish. He may be a bloke from Yorkshire and not a flair player from Italy but he wasn't outshone by Di Canio IMO.

I feel lucky to have been around to witness the likes of Waddle and Di Canio. Waddle was a real hero of mine along with Hirsty and Sheridan. But I agree with Neil, for having the sheer ability to turn a game on its head or drag us to a win almost single handedly you can't look further than Di Canio. Even if his spell was rather brief. I think my favourite goal of his was the one in the last minute against the Dingles at Hillsborough. Such a wonderful footballer.

For me the best skill a forward can offer is to magically get the ball in the back of the net, on that basis alone hirst wins hands down, he was some player.

In terms of technical skill I would rather have watched waddle at swfc than paulo, both were great don't get me wrong, but the way waddle swaggered down the wing twisting and turning gave me goosebumps .

Waddle, Paolo and Beni all had unique skills.

Waddle could do things with a ball that those two couldn't.

Likewise, Beni could do things that Paolo and Waddle couldn't do, and Paolo could do things that Beni and Waddle couldn't do.

Regarding international caps, Paolo didn't get capped because of his temperament, not because he wasn't deemed good enough. He had runs in with many managers in Italy, that included a scuffle with Capello at Milan. Another manager also said that he'd only pick Paolo if there was an outbreak of bubonic plague. The tactics in Italy stifled his game. Apparently while he was at Juventus, he had to stick to a specific area of the right hand side of the pitch. If he moved out of it, he'd get screamed at. Managers in Italy preferred grafting players on the wings, such as Angelo Di Livio.

The best season that Paolo had in Italy, was the 93-94 season while he was playing for Napoli, while on loan from Juventus. He was absolutely brilliant, which led Milan to sign him for the start of the 94/95 season. It was unbelievable that he didn't go to USA 94.

I politely disagree.

Waddle was brilliant but predictable, his footwork was just too quick for the time so that allowed him to beat the full backs. He probably had a better footballing brain that Paolo. (or a better brain altogether)

Paolo was an entirely different level tho. Unpredictable, quick, powerful, incredibly skilful and with a fire that Waddle never had. Where Waddle frustrated defenders, Paolo terrified them. He was mis-managed by people who became intimidated by him and we didn't support him after the push. We had a £10m/£15m player on our hands there at that time. One of the best in the league, as he went on to prove.

That in no way takes anything away from Mr. Waddle by the way. I was lucky (old) enough to worship him as well.

I worshipped Paolo, Beni and Waddle.

Waddle's step overs were predictable, as in, as a fan watching him, you knew when he got the ball he'd do them. But he wasn't predictable to opposing defenders. They could do anything to stop them. He made sure they were always off balance. Even Maldini and Baresi couldn't handle him, when he played against them for England and Marseille.

But each of those players dribbled in a different style, and they were all a joy to watch.

Edited by Robdylan

Carbone and Di Canio could change the outcome of games with their skill but they didn't do it enough.

They didn't do it enough in their home country or enough to make their way into the Italian team.

I loved watching them but I also loved watching the likes of Sheridan; Hirst and Waddle in their pomp too, who were more consistent.

Arguably Carbone and Di Canio didn't hit the heights of Sheridan, Hirst or Waddle during their time in our colours.

They did go on to play outstandingly well after they left us and we will never know if we could've been successful

with them in our side because of the way they were mismanaged and driven out of the club by our owner and manager at the time.

They weren't on the same level as Zola; Bergkamp or Cantona who for me are the best ever Premier League players.

Di Canio and Carbone although they were great entertainers to watch in our colours and I loved watching them and still love them as players

but for me they weren't on the same level as the likes of Sheridan; Hirst, Waddle, Harkes and Nilsson, true greats who wore our shirt and achieved success.

And in terms of honours in modern times Roland Nilsson and John Harkes were by far our most successful players during their careers in the modern era.

I think that Paolo was as good as Eric Cantona, the only difference is, Eric had the platform at Man United. Both players had a lot of similarities in their careers. Eric like Paolo, failed to settle down in his own country, having run ins with managers, and had been loaned out to clubs. When Waddle was at Marseille, Cantona couldn't break into the team. It was only in England where his career really took off, where he could express himself, in front of a manager that always supported him. I think Paolo at his best, could have played at Old Trafford in front of 70,000 with all of those great players that Eric played with. I think he would have made a similar impact. Ferguson wanted to sign Paolo while he was at West Ham, but the move never came off. Ferguson says it was one of his regrets while he was there.