Way to increase attendances and revenue whilst saving fans money

Why not lower the prices of STs with the hope of attracting more......

actually..reduce all theticket prices and see what happens.

Not much.

Even with the kids for a quid scheme, it put maybe 2/3k on the crowd. Not huge amounts.

You would need to increase the attendance by about 3k every week to make up the money. And if the crowds didn't grow, we'd be throwing money away.

I still think the idea of reserving a seat for a season is a good idea,.

Lets say the cost of a season ticket on the Kop is £400 then the above will cost you £200 and £10 per game (£200 + £230 = £430)

per season.

The way this works is you pay your £200 which reserves your seat for the season then you have until 5pm the day before the game to purchase your ticket for that seat, if not purchased by this time the seat becomes available for sale.

Pretty much it becomes a way of paying a percentage of the season ticket upfront then the rest in pay as you watch.

The fundamental misconception in these types of threads is that the clubs goal is to simply get more people through the door.

It isnt. Its to maximise the amount of money made from gate receipts.

Well that's obvious, however getting more fans through the gate increases revenue in so many other ways. Not just club shops and catering, but also things like this get media coverage, raise the profile of the club etc. This idea isn't something that has to last forever just someone implemented for a couple of seasons. After that the % can either be decreased or ticket prices can go up or back to where there were. Out of the few extra thousand fans brought in there are bound to be a few hundred who keep going for years, putting money in the club. That's extra money in the gate that we wouldn't have got in the first place. It's about thinking long term.

I suggested before an idea that Blackburn did. They gave away 20 free season tickets (golden tickets) to children to celebrate an anniversary. Very smart, if a child has a season ticket what does the parent have to buy for themselves too? Means more people through the gate and even if just one of those 20 children goes on to buy a season ticket every year for say 50 years and say spending just £500 on match days including ticket a season that's an extra £25,000 over the years the club otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

Well that's obvious, however getting more fans through the gate increases revenue in so many other ways. Not just club shops and catering, but also things like this get media coverage, raise the profile of the club etc. This idea isn't something that has to last forever just someone implemented for a couple of seasons. After that the % can either be decreased or ticket prices can go up or back to where there were. Out of the few extra thousand fans brought in there are bound to be a few hundred who keep going for years, putting money in the club. That's extra money in the gate that we wouldn't have got in the first place. It's about thinking long term.

I suggested before an idea that Blackburn did. They gave away 20 free season tickets (golden tickets) to children to celebrate an anniversary. Very smart, if a child has a season ticket what does the parent have to buy for themselves too? Means more people through the gate and even if just one of those 20 children goes on to buy a season ticket every year for say 50 years and say spending just £500 on match days including ticket a season that's an extra £25,000 over the years the club otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

The average spend per fan on things in the ground is in reality, tiny. Less than £2 per person iirc.

An extra 4,000 people paying an average of £2 each gets us £8,000 per match.

Whislt ANY increase is welcome, this would hardly make up for a potential drop in revenue cheaper tickets could bring about.

In term of merchandise in the club shop, an extra 4,000 on the gates just means more people to walk into the Megastore, utter "Wow this is a load of sh it" and walk back out having spent nothing.

The average spend per fan on things in the ground is in reality, tiny. Less than £2 per person iirc.

An extra 4,000 people paying an average of £2 each gets us £8,000 per match.

Whislt ANY increase is welcome, this would hardly make up for a potential drop in revenue cheaper tickets could bring about.

In term of merchandise in the club shop, an extra 4,000 on the gates just means more people to walk into the Megastore, utter "Wow this is a load of sh it" and walk back out having spent nothing.

We don't get any extra income from the food do we, so actually spend inside the ground makes eff all difference to us. It's all on the tickets or club shop.

Extra heads also means extra costs for staff - 4000 people @ £2 a head probably loses us money. Tenner a head is probably more realistic.

We don't get any extra income from the food do we, so actually spend inside the ground makes eff all difference to us. It's all on the tickets or club shop.

Extra heads also means extra costs for staff - 4000 people @ £2 a head probably loses us money. Tenner a head is probably more realistic.

My point wad even if we did, it wouldnt impact us in a positive way anyway with the numbers we are talking about. Not sure what you mean about £10 per head being more realistic?

Didn't another club do something similar a few years ago?

Might have been Hartlepool, if they sold 4,000 season tickets price would be £100 or something like that.

Bratford I think

Whilst I commend the OPs attempts to increase revenue I still maintain the best way to boost ST sales is a good old fashioned takeover rumour

My point wad even if we did, it wouldnt impact us in a positive way anyway with the numbers we are talking about. Not sure what you mean about £10 per head being more realistic?

We might be making a similar point, I was trying to put some perspective on the true value of additional people at discounted rates.

If we assumed every £ spent in Hillsborough went to the club - food, programs, club shop etc - there would be an argument to reduce prices and bring in more people. The reality is, it doesn't - so actually bringing additional people through the door isn't worth it if we are discounting everyone overall.

As a rough guide, 20,000 people spending £24 per ticket brings in £480k. If you dropped the ticket price down to, say, £20 you would need 25k people just to balance up the difference.

Now, if you were taking an average of £5 extra per head on every person that walked through the gates - be it food, beer, 50/50 tickets, programs etc - the difference in having 20k people @ £24 and 25k people @ £20 would be different. You'd be looking at an increase of £45K per home game, which would put over £1m EXTRA back into the club funds.

Without the potential for this extra income, it's not worth the club discounting seats just to get a couple more bums on seats.

Edited by Hawkeye

I think Bradford tried something similar based on number of ST sold and ultimate price charged

not sure if the maths would work to make these schemes work out for the club but got to be worth thinking about and investigating to see if it would work

The extra spend atm on consumables does not go into the clubs coffers as previously pointed out. 

HOWEVER it would make the renewal of the contract more attractive and valuable.

Also don't forget that turnover is not profit, VAT, company tax, staff wages and replenishment of stock to be deducted.

I would suggest the way to get bums on seats is to make the product attractive. Blind faith is no longer enough for most folks.

This is an example of the lateral thinking I've been advocating for ages.  St's will be going on sale soon, I hope someone cleverer than us has come up with a properly thought out but innovative plan to increase attendances at a fair price and ABOVE ALL to attract the next set of Owls fans.

the whole Catering saga is a joke...

youve got 1000s of little cafes up and down the country that are making a tidy little living for themselves.... on nothing like the volume of 22000 per fortnight.

the food is crap - the price (as at any ground) is dear.... mark up on that must be crazy.. yet Wednesday rent it to an outside company... thats crazy IMO

If i knew the crap food & dear prices were going to us i would be happier to buy from there.

its not hard to work out if we did the catering we would be much better off is it! it winds me up, the club are giving away what must be easy over 7 figures a season by being lazy,  maybe its contracted till a set date? would be crazy to renew..

edit: errr, i might have posted this in the wrong thread l0l

Edited by GY-owl.4

The extra spend atm on consumables does not go into the clubs coffers as previously pointed out.

HOWEVER it would make the renewal of the contract more attractive and valuable.

Also don't forget that turnover is not profit, VAT, company tax, staff wages and replenishment of stock to be deducted.

I would suggest the way to get bums on seats is to make the product attractive. Blind faith is no longer enough for most folks.

I'd love to know the profit margin on the catering. Easily making 100% profit on majority of things, and wages will barely make a dent in that.