Way to increase attendances and revenue whilst saving fans money

This is just something I've thought up as a way to increase attendances, increase revenue whilst at the same time saving fans money.

Last season the average cost of an adult season ticket worked out around £436 per game (assuming tickets were bought even per stand). That roughly equates to £19 per match. Obviously this amount would be less factoring in concessions and younger fans. Not sure in exact figures but lets say the club sold between 13,000-15,000 season tickets the lat 2 seasons.

Threads pop up on here all the time regarding tickets prices and the fact that our ground is never even close to capacity. As owls we like to pride ourselves as being a family club and things like WAWAW etc.

This is just an idea how to boost season ticket sales. This would also allow the club go increase revenue through increased future ticket sales on events like bring a mate for a tenner, kid for a quid. Catering revenue would increase as would sales from the club shop and other match day revenue streams.

The idea is pretty simple. Basically a cash back scheme based on how many season tickets we sell. This would mean our revenue will increase and giving back to the fans wouldn't cost the club an money as they received more than the projected income.

For example the club could set a target of 'when Sheffield wednesday have sold 14,000 season tickets the fans earn back WAWAW'. As I have no figures to use I will just speculate and use a round number, lets say on average season ticket income per head is £400 (inc adults, kids, concessions etc). If we sell 14,000 season rickets at £400 that means revenue for the sales is £5.6M. Now that that target has been met, this is where the offer comes in. For every extra 500 season tickets we sell over the fans will receive 2.5% discount. At a £400 average that would work out at £10 saved per fan on average. This would cost the club £140,000 taking off 2.5%. However 500 more fans paying £390 each would bring in an extra £195,0000 in ticket. This means the club would receive an extra £55,000 per 500 season ticket holders.

So that's now 14,500 season ticket holders in theory. Then keep reducing the average a fan pays per ticket by 2.5% for every 500 more than projected fans buy a season ticket. So 15,000 fans paying £380 means £5.7 million in season ticket sales, 16,000 fans paying £360 (10% discount) on average a season ticket would mean sales equate to £5.76M. It would make sense to have a cap and say for example the cheapest average price per season ticket is £320 meaning that 18,000 season tickets would have to be sold. If the tickets get cheaper than this despite more fans buying them the figure from £5.76 million would start to decrease because the tickets become too cheap. Anyway it would be roughly 20% discount max. If that maximum target was hit it would mean 20% off for all fans meaning just under £14 a game on average and an increase of 28.5% in season ticket holders.

The attendances increase. The clubs revenue streams increase. The fans are happier because they are paying less to see their club, basically everyone is a winner.

I'd be happy for people to point out potential problems with this idea. The main one I can see is how and when do the fans get their money back. First idea would be the offer expires in X date (first game of the season). Discount/cash back becomes redeemable after say the 3rd match of the season when figures have all bee tallied up and finances are sorted.

The money can then be refunded either automatically via direct debit if that's how the ticket was purchased or if bought with cash receive a voucher (something with a hologram so can't be copied) that can be taken to the ticket office anytime to receive you cash back (discount). Also things like this can be easily marked off a database so there aren't any mistakes it's regards to people missing out or others abusing the system.

I'm sorry it's just rough and kind of guess work with the clubs figures but I think it would be interesting to see what could potentially happen regarding something similar.

It would be easily marketable too, owls helping fellow owls, family club, fans helping each other and as I said earlier goes along with the we're all wednesday idea.

Positive and negative criticism welcome . Apologies for the long post.

Guest Charlton

I'm suprised we don't target large companies in the region an d sell them sections of seating for reduced rates. Buy in bulk and save philosophy. Loads of businesses are run by big SWFC fans.

I'm suprised we don't target large companies in the region an d sell them sections of seating for reduced rates. Buy in bulk and save philosophy. Loads of businesses are run by big SWFC fans.

I think how easy it would be just to contact firms and the partners/bosses their. Most companies have a breakdown on their website who works their and who's important and how to contact them. Offer them reduced rates for boxes and hospitality. Football is always a good place to take potential new clients or just keep the old ones happy

A brief look would say that if you are basing the return for the club solely on the basis of the return that season ticket holders bring, the more you discount the ST and the more you sell, would actually drive overall ticket revenue down. Reason being the extra 4,000 people who didn't have ST but now do would no longer buy on the door (£25-£32 per game!).

It might work, but the above would need to be factored in.

A brief look would say that if you are basing the return for the club solely on the basis of the return that season ticket holders bring, the more you discount the ST and the more you sell, would actually drive overall ticket revenue down. Reason being the extra 4,000 people who didn't have ST but now do would no longer buy on the door (£25-£32 per game!).

It might work, but the above would need to be factored in.

Very good point that I didn't include. You're right that some ticket sales would be be reduced as a result. Just pretty hard to factor in a correlation between an increase in season tickets sold to that of who buys a ticket on the day. We could have 10s of thousands of fans who only make a few games a season whereas I assume its more likely that there are many fans who maybe attend 10-15 games and would see it makes sense to now buy a season ticket and would bring sales down in that aspect. Wish I could figure out a way to factor it in.

its a decent idea..to go alongside it

along similar lines would just be based on previous home gate.... so set price tiers based on attendance.... £20 to POTG first game of the season,

and the next home game would be priced based on attendance, so IF there was 28at first game, the price for next game would be £20, but when the gate drops to between 25k & 28k the next game it will be £22. if gate drops to under 25k it should be £25 and under 20k means current prices (£28ish) .... over 30k gate and the next game is £18 POTG 

basically it allows the fans to choose how much they pay.... wanna come an support the boys, bring your mates along and we can end up paying ony £18 or £20.... dont go in numbers and it ends up costing what its costing now.

set the price with your feet!

its a decent idea..to go alongside it

along similar lines would just be based on previous home gate.... so set price tiers based on attendance.... £20 to POTG first game of the season,

and the next home game would be priced based on attendance, so IF there was 28at first game, the price for next game would be £20, but when the gate drops to between 25k & 28k the next game it will be £22. if gate drops to under 25k it should be £25 and under 20k means current prices (£28ish) .... over 30k gate and the next game is £18 POTG

basically it allows the fans to choose how much they pay.... wanna come an support the boys, bring your mates along and we can end up paying ony £18 or £20.... dont go in numbers and it ends up costing what its costing now.

set the price with your feet!

Quite an interesting idea that. Games like local derbies will have higher traffic and then will drive down the price of the next game. Assuming the team isn't playing horrifically you could assume that the gates should increase. It could potentially be like a domino affect where, just need bigger games or very good performances to kick start it.

it's a bit complicated though - and would mean refunding a lot of people (albeit small amounts) if iv read the premise right.

You also have to consider the discounts already available for early renewals and financing, for example. Plus the costs of managing such a scheme and I'm sure the banks will have charges to provide 14500 refunds!

There are also other discounts available to season ticket holders in things like the shop.

I think how easy it would be just to contact firms and the partners/bosses their. Most companies have a breakdown on their website who works their and who's important and how to contact them. Offer them reduced rates for boxes and hospitality. Football is always a good place to take potential new clients or just keep the old ones happy

With new and tougher rules regarding bribes, etc it is increasingly difficult for companies to engage in corporate hospitality. I know of one company with a box at another ground which is only 20% utilised and I know of another who bought 10 fully catered tickets for the 6 nations and can't get people to accept invitations. Business spend will reduce in coming years !!