Goals Scored, Goals Conceded & Points.

No self-respecting Wednesdayite is unaware that we're solid at the back but not scoring many. So I'm not exactly aiming for shock and awe with this one. Some appear to be getting a bit upset with folk moaning about the lack of goals. Our league position is apparently enough for everything else not to matter.

I personally think that it's only right for us to be frustrated. The whole point of the game is to score goals! So I've looked back at the last 5 seasons league tables as a guide as to how we're really doing.

If we carry on as we are, we'll end the season with 37 Goals Scored, 41 Goals Conceded and 65 Points.

At that rate we'd finish an average of 11th. I'd've taken a top half finish when the season started, so no complaints there.

Only 5 teams have conceded fewer goals and 3 of those have been promoted. Again, very impressive!

However...
We're also on target to finish with the lowest amount of goals scored, of any team, including the bottom three every season!

We scored a dozen more when we were last relegated!

The least a team has scored is 41 (Charlton last season & Coventry in 10/11).

So we need at least a goal a game from now on to achieve the accolade of  "joint worst attack".

The least that a promotion winning team has scored is 60 (QPR last season) and most scored well into the 70's and 80's.

To achieve that, we'd need more like 2 per game from this point on. Is Will Keane enough to score 40 goals in 20 games?!

No team has had fewer goals at both ends combined. So when people describe this season as the best in years, I can't agree. It's not the best, it's the dullest (I appreciate that's rich coming from statto here!). We finished last season with a one man attack, sold that man, and failed to bring any sort of replacement in.

I'm genuinely OK with conceding loads and losing a few games until the end of the season (to a point, I obviously don't want to be dragged into the relegation nonsense), as long as we score for fun too. 6-5 every game, throw a coin which way, brilliant!!!!!

Edited by George Whitebread

our tactics & team make us hard to beat.

We've sacrificed the attacking side of our game making us a hard working, defensive minded team that plays counter attacking football well (away from home).

playing the same way at home evidently doesn't work.

I'm actually quite proud of our defensive record this season. It's much easier to add goals to a solid team than it is to rectify a leaky defence, so Gray is going about building our team the correct way in my opinion. We now have the solid foundation in place, and with a bit of investment in the right individual players, we're primed to push on to the next level.

Ideally a takeover will give Gray the funds to bring in a couple of top-notch signings, but the worst case scenario is that we can afford to wait a while for May and Lavery to mature and hopefully fulfil their potential; scour the market for bargains who might click upfront for us; and bring in loans to supplement our own attacking players - all without worrying that we'll get relegated if none of these options work out. We actually needed Wickham and Fryatt to save us last season, which is far too risky a situation to be in again.

It may seem dull, but I prefer to view it as a necessary pain which we must endure on our way back to the promised land.

crowds are dwindling at home because they know we're unlikely to score.

the 'entertainment/value for money' factor is terrible.

it's a very fine & imo we're going to have to sacrifice the defensive side our game slightly even if we bring in better attacking players if we want to see wins & goals at home.

it's great to see us where we are in the league & we can be so proud of our defence but our home form will kill any dreams of a play off surge unless it's addressed.

crowds are dwindling at home because they know we're unlikely to score.

the 'entertainment/value for money' factor is terrible.

it's a very fine & imo we're going to have to sacrifice the defensive side our game slightly even if we bring in better attacking players if we want to see wins & goals at home.

it's great to see us where we are in the league & we can be so proud of our defence but our home form will kill any dreams of a play off surge unless it's addressed.

If we bring in better attacking players, I'm sure we'll loosen the defensive straightjacket a little.

It's a calculated gamble, really - it's not worth sacrificing the defensive side of our game at the moment, as our attacking players aren't likely to capitalise all that often, leaving us liable to conceded more than we score. If we manage to bring in better attackers who are more likely to punish the opposition, then it may be worth pushing forward a bit more, even if we're likely to concede a little more often - we'd take the risk that our strikers would be more effective than the opponent's.

The way we played last season when we had Wickham upfront would suggest that Gray is willing to play more expansive football if he believes we have the players to make it worthwhile.

There's little point in lowering your defences if all you have to strike the enemy with is a weak left hook - that's how you get knocked the feck out!

Damn it! I missed Swansea! I must've scanned over them when looking for low scorers with them being so far up the league.  

Even so, it is a frightening statistic that we're on course to finish with fewer goals than any team in the last five seasons.

Saying that, if we'd not been beaten so heavily by Watford and Fulham, we'd be well on our way to having the tightest defence too.

There's certainly no denying that we've made huge progress on that front.

What I'm hoping for the rest of the season though, is that we throw caution to the wind a bit. Let's offer a bit of entertainment.

We don't need Semedo protecting the back four, we don't need both centre forwards to constantly track back or wingers to play as secondary full backs

We could do with something like this from now on....

- - - - - - - Westwood

Buxton - Lees - Loovens - Helan

NEW - Hutchinson - Baker - NEW

- - - - - Keane - - Maguire

Damn it! I missed Swansea! I must've scanned over them when looking for low scorers with them being so far up the league.  

Even so, it is a frightening statistic that we're on course to finish with fewer goals than any team in the last five seasons.

Saying that, if we'd not been beaten so heavily by Watford and Fulham, we'd be well on our way to having the tightest defence too.

There's certainly no denying that we've made huge progress on that front.

What I'm hoping for the rest of the season though, is that we throw caution to the wind a bit. Let's offer a bit of entertainment.

We don't need Semedo protecting the back four, we don't need both centre forwards to constantly track back or wingers to play as secondary full backs

We could do with something like this from now on....

- - - - - - - Westwood

Buxton - Lees - Loovens - Helan

NEW - Hutchinson - Baker - NEW

- - - - - Keane - - Maguire

So you wouldn't even play Kieran Lee? and Semedo who is one of the key reasons our defence is so good?

You can't sacrifice these types of players and expect us to keep the defensive record.

IMO it's easier to fix a problem scoring goals than it is a leaky defence. I'm content with our record at the moment and believe that the players we have in attack will come good as they work hard, and it would only take one player up front (a "Wickham" type) for us to bang the goals in. Would much rather be looking for one of those players than a whole defensive unit.

our tactics & team make us hard to beat.

We've sacrificed the attacking side of our game making us a hard working, defensive minded team that plays counter attacking football well (away from home).

playing the same way at home evidently doesn't work.

Could someone tell the manager, cos he has no idea.

Sometimes these stats can be a bit deceiving.  

I think the issue is scoring at home, away we are more clinical up front. 

Another thing, if you had up all the decisions that have gone against us this season we probably would have around 6-8 more goals and sat nicely in the playoffs.  

Last game, Stevie May scored a goal that was wrongfully disallowed. 

We have scored more than you think, 

So you wouldn't even play Kieran Lee? and Semedo who is one of the key reasons our defence is so good?

You can't sacrifice these types of players and expect us to keep the defensive record.

That's absolutely the point. I couldn't give a monkeys about not conceding any more. As long as we score more, we can concede 4 every game for all I care.

I definitely wouldn't start with Semedo again this season (maybe off the bench when we want to see a game out). I really don't want to scapegoat him after some great performances; but his a massive part of the promble for me. Slows the transition feom defence to attack right down, or misplaces a pass to ruin the attack altogether. He does a great job of protecting the back 4. But also a large part of why we offer little or nothing going forward.

I really like Lee and would play him if we only bring 1 more player in. I'm just hoping that Baker is a world beater, and Hutchinson is our best player when available (rarely). So Lee could take Hutch's place most of the time to be fair.

IMO it's easier to fix a problem scoring goals than it is a leaky defence. I'm content with our record at the moment and believe that the players we have in attack will come good as they work hard, and it would only take one player up front (a "Wickham" type) for us to bang the goals in. Would much rather be looking for one of those players than a whole defensive unit.

It's possible (albeit unlikely with no senior goals to him name) that Will Keane is the next Wickham-esque player.

That's not enough though. Maghoma is the only winger / flair player that can run at players, at the club. Helan could be included, but he's better fromsat back than further forward really.

Maybe Lavery should be given a proper run in the side. Put him and Lee/Baker on the wings and Maguire up with Keane. We could be onto something.

Sometimes these stats can be a bit deceiving.

I think the issue is scoring at home, away we are more clinical up front.

Another thing, if you had up all the decisions that have gone against us this season we probably would have around 6-8 more goals and sat nicely in the playoffs.

Last game, Stevie May scored a goal that was wrongfully disallowed.

We have scored more than you think,

Pretty much all teams have things that go for and against them.

When Nuhiu hit the underside of the bar and May managed to nip in front of the defender, I couldn't believe the flag went up. The replays showed we'd beeen robbed.

On the other hand, there's no clear evidence from directly above the goal line to confirm that Stevie's goal against Wigan was in. It was certainly much closer than most on here seem to think.

Those two games couldn've both finished 1-1 and we'd have taken 2 points rather than 3.

Pretty much all teams have things that go for and against them.

When Nuhiu hit the underside of the bar and May managed to nip in front of the defender, I couldn't believe the flag went up. The replays showed we'd beeen robbed.

On the other hand, there's no clear evidence from directly above the goal line to confirm that Stevie's goal against Wigan was in. It was certainly much closer than most on here seem to think.

Those two games couldn've both finished 1-1 and we'd have taken 2 points rather than 3.

post-19248-0-44408400-1422229817_thumb.j

That's absolutely the point. I couldn't give a monkeys about not conceding any more. As long as we score more, we can concede 4 every game for all I care.

I definitely wouldn't start with Semedo again this season (maybe off the bench when we want to see a game out). I really don't want to scapegoat him after some great performances; but his a massive part of the promble for me. Slows the transition feom defence to attack right down, or misplaces a pass to ruin the attack altogether. He does a great job of protecting the back 4. But also a large part of why we offer little or nothing going forward.

I really like Lee and would play him if we only bring 1 more player in. I'm just hoping that Baker is a world beater, and Hutchinson is our best player when available (rarely). So Lee could take Hutch's place most of the time to be fair.

hutch needs to be fit and not suspended to start. So far this season he's rarely managed that. You're being very harsh on semedo. Leeds won the title with Batty in that role. I think you need to look else where for the lack of goals.

hutch needs to be fit and not suspended to start. So far this season he's rarely managed that. You're being very harsh on semedo. Leeds won the title with Batty in that role. I think you need to look else where for the lack of goals.

Semedo is about half as fast as Batty in both movement and thought. You'll never get past him; but defending isn't really our promble. So let's dispense with the permanent static protection of the back four and show some ambition to actually score!