dilly-dallying with recruitment

Isnt OT about debating swfc stuff?

Been a sucess of a season but Imo faster recruitment would have seen us with several more points on board.

If anyone wants to fund me a trip to Sheffield feel free ;)

Edited by modboy

Folk grumbling about speed and timing of recruitment, as usual.

There are several factors to bear in mind, but the most important of these are

a) is the player WILLING to come. Many players in the past have refused to come to S6. Don't ask me why.

b) is the price being asked reasonable, and can we afford it.

Over the years Wednesday have found it impossible to attract the players they want, for a variety of reasons. There are many who do not consider us a Massive club. If a player is unwilling to come, why bother, 

know we arent in the position to throw cash around but looking at the table we would have been much better off if we had got players in earlier in each window rather than waiting for the transfer deadline.

Its fine lines in football and personally think this could be the difference between mid-table and a play off place at the end of the season, prime example being the Bolton games where our hopefully incoming striker would have made the difference.

we have about 3 pound 50 free on the wage budget and cobwebs in the transfer budget chest. its not dilly dallying, clubs and players want money that we dont have

Well I think it's fair comment to say we've dragged our heels over recruitment. We only did half of what we should have done in the summer Then, despite saying we wouldn't be reliant on loans, we're here again. Unlike Milan who supposedly didn't want to use it, I'm quite happy to use the loan system, it's part and parcel of championship life. It would have been nice if we'd signed a few up on season long loans, wasn't that another or Milan's suggestions, but no, we've been scratching about in every window since.

Never mind, I'm still hopeful, though not particularly optimistic, that we'll finally get in the players we need.

Current players have taken us into top ten. Well overachieving expectations. So I'm struggling to understand why we've only done half of what we should have done?

Realistically we are a winger light. That's it. We have players and cover everywhere else.

I still think we could lose Westwood and Lees this window, why keep them if we aren't having a go, cash in baby

So we can add in the summer and push into play offs.

I'd be more inclined to think it'll be summer before anyone is sold, gives us time to replace them properly.

Current players have taken us into top ten. Well overachieving expectations. So I'm struggling to understand why we've only done half of what we should have done?

Realistically we are a winger light. That's it. We have players and cover everywhere else.

Well only 7 goals at home for a start would indicate that we need better front players Edited by gurujuan

I think this season has been a wasted opportunity due to a lack of ambition.

I think MM has sat back and seen us do brilliantly without spending a penny. The club looks healthier to the outsider and he hopes he can flog us as quick as possible.

If we stay up without spending anything he will be as happy as Larry

Well only 7 goals at home for a start would indicate that we need better front players

We've just signed a young striker from Manchester United for the rest of the season; a player they felt demonstrated enough promise to offer a 3 year contract. He hasn't clicked at first team level yet, but the potential is most definitely there. It's no different to the Wickham signing in that respect.  Let's wait and see how he does.

If he'd joined another Championship club, you can guarantee there would be posters on here questioning why we weren't in for him.

We've just signed a young striker from Manchester United for the rest of the season; a player they felt demonstrated enough promise to offer a 3 year contract. He hasn't clicked at first team level yet, but the potential is most definitely there. It's no different to the Wickham signing in that respect.  Let's wait and see how he does.

If he'd joined another Championship club, you can guarantee there would be posters on here questioning why we weren't in for him.

Again, don't have a problem with the signing of Keane, as a squad replacement for Madine. Maybe we could have brought him in at the beginning of the month, he was available, but he will certainly give us more options on the bench. Not in the same class as Wickham when he joined us first time around

Again, don't have a problem with the signing of Keane, as a squad replacement for Madine. Maybe we could have brought him in at the beginning of the month, he was available, but he will certainly give us more options on the bench. Not in the same class as Wickham when he joined us first time around

We don't need a Wickham type signing now though, especially if we aren't going to be in with a sniff of signing him in summer

We don't need a Wickham type signing now though, especially if we aren't going to be in with a sniff of signing him in summer

I don't know who we need, but it's clear we don't have the front players to really trouble defences at this level. Keane might give us a few more options but there's no evidence to suggest he'll cure our scoring ills

Edited by gurujuan

We don't know that yet, though, do we? He hasn't had the same first team opportunities that Wickham had at Ipswich, but in terms of the impact he could have for us, we'll have to wait and see. Young players can be very unpredictable in their development - some suddenly click and look like world beaters seemingly out of the blue. Manchester United clearly think he's worth persevering with.

We don't know that yet, though, do we? He hasn't had the same first team opportunities that Wickham had at Ipswich, but in terms of the impact he could have for us, we'll have to wait and see. Young players can be very unpredictable in their development - some suddenly click and look like world beaters seemingly out of the blue. Manchester United clearly think he's worth persevering with.

Could say that about any of our players though, they could all turn into world beaters overnight, but it's unlikely. As I said, I'm happy with the signing of Keane, although I don't see him as anything other than a like for like replacement for Madine. It's what we do in the rest of the window that will shape our season

If the majority of referees and officials were actually competent at the role they are performing then we would be higher than we are in the table regardless of how the club go about recruitment and you can sight both Bolton Games as evidence of this amongst many others.

impossible to say that because you haven't seen the poor decisions other clubs have suffered 

It would be bizarre in the extreme if the poor state of officialdom only raised its head at Hillsborough or when SWFC are in town