Louis Briault's matchday cartoons - Official Thread

Following on from the test version, today sees the first in hopefully (if I don't get lazy) a series of cartoons from Louis Briault.

His work featured on the front cover of the Green Un' from 1919 to 1939, eventually completing well over 1,000 drawings.

Here is a bit of a biography of the man himself.

'Louis Briault was one of the early British comic artists, who mainly worked for the Amalgamated Press. Born in London, he attended the Slade School of Art and began working as a commercial artist around 1908. He submitted cartoons to weekly comics like Comic Life and Merry & Bright by AP around the same time. He was a reporter for the Birmingham Post and served in the Army during World War I.

After the war, he reassumed his work as a cartoonist and began working continuously for Amalgamated Press in 1920. He contributed to Sunbeam, Comic Cuts and Merry & Bright. He created 'The Rollicking Rambles of Reggie and Roger' for Larks and 'Old London Laughing' for Butterfly. For Sparks, he also drew the comic 'The Comical Capers of Billie Reeves, the Scream of the Screen' (1916), one of the first comics to reflect the rise of Hollywood comedy films. Briault made sport cartoons for the Birmingham Post and the Sheffield Telegraph. During World War II, he had to cancel his work as an artist and wrote a play for the BBC, called 'The Psychic Trip'.'

Times change. You can't judge old stuff by todays sensitivities.

When I was a lad things were considered normal that would probably get you locked up now. There wasn't any racial or gender equality.

It's much better now obviously.

Anyone know of the artist who used to draw the pictures of Sheffield players for the Green 'Un after the war. They had oversized heads and small athletic bodies complete in the club's colours?

Harry Heap ! Sorry about the subject of this particular cartoon !

post-5086-1226687183_zpsxnfwsgro.jpg