Leroy Chambers

Guest Frickley Owl

Guest Frickley Owl

Did he ever make a first team appearance in any competition for us? Does anyone have any evidence of a first team appearance by him?

Pretty sure he never made a first team appearance for Wednesday. Its says he played 10 times for us on Wikipedia but I am 99% certain this is not right. 

I went to same school as him (he was about 3 years older then me). I remember he went out with one of the prettiest girls in the school (Bleeding Wag!). Me and my Wednesdayite mates were desperate for him to play in the first team but it never happened.

Think he made the bench once in some Simod Cup Game but that as about as good as it got for him at Wednesday.

Did he play for Frickley?

Guest Frickley Owl

Pretty sure he never made a first team appearance for Wednesday. Its says he played 10 times for us on Wikipedia but I am 99% certain this is not right.

I went to same school as him (he was about 3 years older then me). I remember he went out with one of the prettiest girls in the school (Bleeding Wag!). Me and my Wednesdayite mates were desperate for him to play in the first team but it never happened.

Think he made the bench once in some Simod Cup Game but that as about as good as it got for him at Wednesday.

Did he play for Frickley?

Yep he played for Frickley.

He was immense in the reserves for us back as a youth player, shame it didn't take off for him. I never trust Wiki it's always wide of the mark but I remember seeing a match worn Wednesday shirt of his being touted around an auction and it made me wonder if he made the matchday squad at some point and never got on as a sub or if he sneaked a debut. Ten games in the first team is never right!

Edited by Frickley Owl

You have got me thinking back now but I remember seeing him play for the School team when he was about 16. It was embarrassing how much better he was then anyone else on the pitch. Think everyone thought it was a forgone conclusion that he would play at a pretty high standard professionally.

Not sure if he ever had injury problems which may have held him back.

Think he made the match day squad a couple of times for early round cup games which he may have got a shirt for.

I also remember watching MOTD for an FA Cup first round game and on the goals round up he scored a screamer for someone like Boston. Shame for whatever reason he never quite made it big. Would have been a real thrill to watch a Hinde House lad play for us. 

Guest Frickley Owl

Played in the same Young Owls team as me. I was about 5'5 and 6 stone wet through, he was about 5'9 and build like a brick Shitehouse.

Did you make a first team squad with him?

Guest Frickley Owl

As we were the first to assign squad numbers in 1993 I would assume that if he made a first team squad for a cup game but didn't get on he must have had a squad number? But I can't find one... Hmmm...

It would have been around the time I acquired the number 29 shirt from Lee. If he had a squad number that is known I'd've thought Leroy's would be known if he had one.