Andy McCulloch

This man deserves an apology.

At virtually every home game and all away games since 1979, the Wednesday fans will scream out a rendition of 'Hark Now Hear the Wednesday Sing'. It is a badge of honour, an anthem all of our own. Some of us were actually there on the day and, for the younger fans, it is a special Wednesday song which brings back memories of the days of glory and the added bonus of stuffing our neighbours.

On the evening of 21 October this year at approximately 7.40pm, it was the very first song that was sung by the large Wednesday contingent at Brentford. It was an ordinary League match to us but it represented the 125th Anniversary of Brentford's existence.

At 8.30pm  the Brentford compere on the pitch introduced five Brentford heroes of yesteryear. The fifth man he introduced was Andy McCulloch.

I am ashamed of the fact that a handful, literally a handful, of Wednesdayites gave him loud applause whilst over a thousand Wednesday fans couldn't give a poo poo. These same people were singing about "Boxing Day" and here was the man who wore the Number 9 shirt on that epic day.

The Wednesday fans should have brought the house down at the mention of his name, He should have received a standing ovation that would have made every Brentford fan's jaw drop with admiration.

I recognise the cynic's moan that we can't cheer every ex-player but for crying out loud this man was our centre-forward on the "Boxing Day" that we eulogise at every bloody game. And for those that do remember him or are too young to know, he was not a great player but he tried his heart out. And that was good enough for me.

last year or was it the season before he was a guest in the directors box bumped into him at halftime recognised him after a double take had a nice little chat always nice to shake the hand of an old player looked in good shape  as you say not the most skilfull but put in a genuine shift

Too be honest Low Flying Is suspect that many of the younger end haven't heard of him, even though they will be aware of boxing day.

Doubt it was any type of real snub.

Most away fans are often too smashed to be listing to the home team tannoy announcements anyway.

Of course it wouldn't take much to find out though. Especially with the internet.  But most folks would rather use it to watch clips of 'Premier and other European football team goal montages and p0rn than spend 5 minutes finding out about their own club.

Far cry from when I used to sit engrossed as my father regaled me with stories of the Wednesday.