Who's never seen a World Class player at Hillsborough?

Guest LEGEND

Neil Roberts - Former Welsh International.

Paul Green - Republic Of Ireland International.

Lewis Price - Welsh International.

Eddie Lewis - Former USA International

Michael Johnson - Former Jamaica International.

Kenny Miller - Former Scottish International.

David Marshall - Scottish International.

Rory Fallon - New Zealand International.

Brian Stock - Former Welsh International.

Neil Sullivan - Former Scottish International.

Sheki Kuqi - Former Finnish International.

Jose Fonte - Portuguese International.

Ashley Williams - Welsh International.

Jason Scotland - Former Trinidad & Tobago International.

Jason Euell - Former Jamaican International.

Adam Lallana - England International.

Rudi Skacel - Former Czech Republic International.

Miguel Commingues - Guadeloupe International.

Quincy Owusu-Abeyie - Ghana International.

Gavin Rae - Former Scotland International.

Jay Bothroyd - Former England International.

Stephen McPhail - Former Republic of Ireland International.

Ross McCormack - Former Scotland International.

Yann Kermogant - Brittany International.

Abdoulaye Meite - Ivory Coast International.

Just some of the names since we've dropped out Premiership.

:laugh: what on earth

You do realize that Villa finished 2nd that season. Derby, Forest and QPR were in the top division. Rangers were Scottish champions and Steve Bull, much like LeTissier wouldn't leave his boyhood club.

As for Larrson, I'm sure there's a tad of Swedish bias in his team, I mean he spent the lions share of his career in a pub league with two teams in it.

Micheal Duberry played with some real quality midfielders throughout his career yet picked Batty in his team.

40 games for Barca is hardly going to be high on list when he's played over 100 times at national level with Nilsson.

It's your opinion though, so fair enough.

Think we've gone off on a tangent here but it goes back to when you questioned why Nilsson stayed at Wednesday and wasn't at one of Europe's top clubs if he was world class.

The point I was making is this was when Wednesday could beat any club in England... when we could beat Man United in a cup final at Wembley (a game he was outstanding in). And when Europe's top clubs weren't like they are now with big squads full of internationals.

Anyone that watched him regularly or played with him would say he was one of the best right backs in the world in the early 90's.

Backed up by playing in both Wednesday and Sweden's most successful teams that I can remember

Neil Roberts - Former Welsh International.

Paul Green - Republic Of Ireland International. 

Lewis Price - Welsh International.

Eddie Lewis - Former USA International

Michael Johnson - Former Jamaica International.

Kenny Miller - Former Scottish International.

David Marshall - Scottish International.

Rory Fallon - New Zealand International.

Brian Stock - Former Welsh International.  

Neil Sullivan - Former Scottish International. 

Sheki Kuqi - Former Finnish International. 

Jose Fonte - Portuguese International.

Ashley Williams - Welsh International. 

Jason Scotland - Former Trinidad & Tobago International. 

Jason Euell - Former Jamaican International.

Adam Lallana - England International.

Rudi Skacel - Former Czech Republic International. 

Miguel Commingues - Guadeloupe International.

Quincy Owusu-Abeyie - Ghana International.

Gavin Rae - Former Scotland International. 

Jay Bothroyd - Former England International.

Stephen McPhail - Former Republic of Ireland International.

Ross McCormack - Former Scotland International.

Yann Kermogant - Brittany International.

Abdoulaye Meite - Ivory Coast International.

Just some of the names since we've dropped out Premiership. 

Don't think I've ever felt more depressed than reading that list.

Those two certainly tremendous footballers,

Alan shearer playing for Southampton 91/92 was clearly very special.

However the best performance I have seen at s6, Michael Owen Feb 1998, imo for just a few months he was the best player in the world

the game of his first professional hat trick?

the best individual performance I've seen from an opposition player at Hillsborough.

totally unplayable.

The Southampton players who are now at Man United and Liverpool and the players at WBA and Celtic who were reserve keepers.

My point was that virtually all the top internationals now are at a few champions league clubs.

This was when Aberdeen could beat Real Madrid, Steaua Bucharest could beat Barcelona and Norwich could beat Bayern Munich

And a team could be promoted from the second tier (Wednesday in 1991) and the following season finish 3rd in the top flight, in what would now be a champions league place, above Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City. Unthinkable that it could happen now and football is the poorer for it.

Had it not been for Jimmy Greaves,Johnny Fantham would have had a shed load of England caps,He was in a different class to most of his time.

I saw Pele at hillsbroro,but for me George Best is the finest i ever saw on our turf or on a tv set,amazing footballer,he took the game to a different level,there wasnt much that guy couldnt do on a footy pitch,you felt the buzz once he got the ball,sheer brilliance that at times left you breathless or speechless,a genius with a football and ive seen nothing close to him since,possibly Gascgoine at his very best.

If they charged 50 quid to watch him today id buy a season ticket,he was that good,one of a kind.

Edited by legendaryswan

Had it not been for Jimmy Greaves,Johnny Fantham would have had a shed load of England caps,He was in a different class to most of his time.

I saw Pele at hillsbroro,but for me George Best is the finest i ever saw on our turf or on a tv set,amazing footballer,he took the game to a different level,there wasnt much that guy couldnt do on a footy pitch,you felt the buzz once he got the ball,sheer brilliance that at times left you breathless or speechless,a genius with a football and ive seen nothing close to him since,possibly Gascgoine at his very best.

If they charged 50 quid to watch him today id buy a season ticket,he was that good,one of a kind.

Have to agree, the mercurial Irishman was indeed very special, what always surprised me was just how slightly built he was but still could mix it with the best of 'em...if they could catch him! Also saw the incomparable Pele, but it should be remembered that when Santos did the rounds they were playing friendlies/exhibition games, not quite the same level of commitment on show of course.

"World class" is bandied around too frequently these days, but these two were without doubt near or even at the top of that list.

world class in a wednesday shirt???

waddle for me...

hirsty and francis, not quite...

perhaps before his time with us willie henderson was, still enjoyed him beatin' 4 or 5 defenders in front of the north before puttin' a cross in, would have loved to see him in a wednesday shirt in his pomp with chapman in the middle... 

OOOPS!

FORGOT NILSSON...

Edited by dnhc

Have to agree, the mercurial Irishman was indeed very special, what always surprised me was just how slightly built he was but still could mix it with the best of 'em...if they could catch him! Also saw the incomparable Pele, but it should be remembered that when Santos did the rounds they were playing friendlies/exhibition games, not quite the same level of commitment on show of course.

"World class" is bandied around too frequently these days, but these two were without doubt near or even at the top of that list.

have to say i've given this much thought over time, and...

i figure george best WAS the better player...

he had pace that pele did not...

fulham had kicked lumps outa pele in "the friendly" they had played before us, and done him...

how many times did george have to miss out due to injury?

despite the attentions of chopper 'arriss, edie mccreadie, david webb (to mention just the chelsea back line)...

then their's dave mackay, norman 'unter, tommy smith, big jack, i imagine you guys can bring back the names of some proper defenders, it's a wonder  he still had 2 legs...

have to say i've given this much thought over time, and...

i figure george best WAS the better player...

he had pace that pele did not...

fulham had kicked lumps outa pele in "the friendly" they had played before us, and done him...

how many times did george have to miss out due to injury?

despite the attentions of chopper 'arriss, edie mccreadie, david webb (to mention just the chelsea back line)...

then their's dave mackay, norman 'unter, tommy smith, big jack, i imagine you guys can bring back the names of some proper defenders, it's a wonder  he still had 2 legs...

Best and Paul Reaney was a great dual to watch, and tbf with Reaney coming out on top most times.

I can remember a young lad stood at the Bobby Moore statue at Wembley before one England game a few years back. He looked up at his dad and said, "Dad, when will there be a Carlton Palmer statue?"

The dad put his arm around his son.

"Soon son, soon."