Who's never seen a World Class player at Hillsborough?

Guest LEGEND

This is kind of upsetting....

I'm reading through the 'your first match' threads, people talking about Waddle & Hirst etc...

I've been going since 2001ish....

I've never had the chance to see a 'proper' player at Hillsborough. Off the top of my head, the best player I've seen play for us is Whelan / Brunt / Bougherra..

How depressing.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I was thinking about this the other day as well.  I was lucky enough to start going to games in 91 and TOTALLY took for granted the fact that I was watching Bergkamp, Klinsmann, Zola, Vialli, Gullit, Shearer (the list goes on and on) and the like season in season out.

and of course our 90s heroes.

Edited by wednesdaywizard

Saw Gareth Bale at Hillsbrough.

Thinking back, i was there that game...i remember Sturrock? (i think it was) Saying how much energy Bale had up and down the wings.

Although, he wasn't really a world beater back then.

Bale was pretty amazing going forward during that game (3-3 with Crossley scoring). 

Could defend for sh*t (playing left back) but you could see that he was a special talent, albeit no one could have predicted quite how far he would go. 

Im not by any chance suggesting he is a world class player but one player that always sticks out in my mind as having a great game against us is Carlos Edwards, everytime he looked pure quality. 

i know hes not a worldy but when adam johnson came to play us with middlesbrough and single handedly tore us a new one i thought he was going to be something really special

Thats very true. He looked great that day.

i know hes not a worldy but when adam johnson came to play us with middlesbrough and single handedly tore us a new one i thought he was going to be something really special

Yep remember that.  I can't remember too many occasions where one player has absolutely dominated a match like he did in that one.

Playing for us? Nope, seen nothing anywhere near World Class, barely seen Premier League class. Barkley and Brunt probably the closest and Westwood in between the sticks is pretty special.

Against us, Bale but he was what 19? And don't remember him tearing us apart. Same with Walcott and The Ox. Therefore don't think i've ever seen world class talent come to Hillsborough in their prime. Man CIty away was the closest we've got and I didn't even bleeding go!

Off the top of my head I remember Adam Johnson ripping us apart for Middlesbrough the game we gave Tony McMahon a standing ovation (cringe). I remember Danny Murphy and Andy Johnson coming to us with Fulham in the cup and they gave the perfect midfield and forward performance respectively. Struggling after that, which is very sad.