Atmosphere at S6

Guest George Smith

Stewart Gray can hear the back of the kop.

Stewart gi us a wave

Stewart Stewart gi us a wave.

Think it's more the distant tune he'll recognise than distinctively hearing the actual words.

And obviously if enough people sing the players will hear it. But in terms of getting an 'atmosphere going' it can't really happen on a match to match basis because the Kops singing section is right at the back.

Palace's singing section is at the bottom of their main stand behind the net.

Man Utd opened a designated standing/singing section, and their atmosphere has improved so much because they now have 3 or 4 thousand fans in one section of Old Trafford who are all singing from the same hymn sheet. This projects to the rest of the stadium & they can join in.

I think Man City are dong a similar thing.

Our issue is that we have two sections of the stadium where most of the singers/standers reside. They're both in the far corners of the stadium, and there isn't enough of them in either stand to generate what I would call an atmosphere. When you've got a massive stadium, but you don't fill it often, you need your atmosphere coming from somewhere everyone can see & hear. 

Eventually if we manage to replicate something like what they have at Selhurst Park/Old Trafford people will start to notice, our attendances will start to creep up.

It has to come from the Kop though. And it has to, literally, start from the bottom.

They never stop singing.

I have had an ST on the bottom of the Kop for going on 5 seasons now.

Usually all I can hear from the top of the Kop is the drums, the trumpets and distant murmurings of a song.

So much so that when 'If you don't flippingbounce starts' I have to turn around to see if they are actually singing that song, or singing 'at the lane at the lane' - I literally sometimes can't hear the words of songs.

Obviously it's different when we score. But I don't want us to become a 'you only sing when you're winning' team. (not counting away days obviously)

I have had an ST on the bottom of the Kop for going on 5 seasons now.

Usually all I can hear from the top of the Kop is the drums, the trumpets and distant murmurings of a song.

So much so that when 'If you don't flippingbounce starts' I have to turn around to see if they are actually singing that song, or singing 'at the lane at the lane' - I literally sometimes can't hear the words of songs.

Obviously it's different when we score. But I don't want us to become a 'you only sing when you're winning' team. (not counting away days obviously)

There are a minority of us who sing most of the game at the back of the Kop, just a shame more don't join in. This is why we need a singing section to get everyone together.

Guest Sheff Owl

I have mentioned before that fans start singing and then the band joins in, overtakes and drowns out the singing.

You can give allowances for a drum but the F*cking trumpets are pathetic and need shoving where the sun doesn't shine.

We'd need a thousand people MINIMUM in the same space who are all wanting to sing to get a decent singing section going.

How many people at the top of the Kop are constantly singing 200 maximum?

On an away day EVERYONE is together in large numbers, that's why we are good away fans.

You'd need to replicate those numbers in the same space for a similar atmosphere to get going. That's not going to happen at the top of the Kop.

Why?

Because of the band & the pillars.

This is something I've felt passionate about for a while now. Home matches are becoming so boring.

I missed yesterdays match & usually hate missing home games. With the stream yesterday I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything....I had a very similar atmosphere to Hillsborough in my house. No wonder people stay away for your average games. 

We'd need a thousand people MINIMUM in the same space who are all wanting to sing to get a decent singing section going.

On an away day EVERYONE is together in large numbers, that's why we are good away fans.

You'd need to replicate those numbers in the same space for a similar atmosphere to get going. That's not going to happen at the top of the Kop.

Why?

This is something I've felt passionate about for a while now. Home matches are becoming so boring.

I missed yesterdays match & usually hate missing home games. With the stream yesterday I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything....I had a very similar atmosphere to Hillsborough in my house. No wonder people stay away for your average games.

I only go on kop cause my mates go on there and don't want to spend the extra £4 or whatever on a better atmosphere on the north. I much prefer it on the Lepp end of the North just for the atmosphere.

Why?

There's probably around 50 MAX singing on the Kop. 200 in a singing section would be plenty!

Why not the middle section of the kop then? Instead of being spread out wide how about all of the middle blocks on the kop is designated the singing area?

I think that its just become unfashionable at home to sing. Too many people giving dirty looks to anyone trying to start off a song instead of joining in, simply cos they want to look cool with their mates. Move the "trendys" and the borin sods to the sides and get rid of the trumpets