Atmosphere at S6

Guest George Smith

My advice... you need everyone involved. You need to appreciate that whilst there are supporters who don't like the band there are as many fans who like the band. Either do this together or you risk alienating a large section of supporters.

Next I would address the supporters on the kop. Ask the question... do you sing? If not, why? Do people around you sing? What would make you join in etc.

Remember, some of the people on the kop appear inconvenienced when we surf the big flag.

Think carefully about where the singers are. They may be scattered about, but most are at the back. How many would seriously move to a worse view in order to sing? IMO the whole kop should be the singing section. See if you can change peoples attitudes before moving their seats. If you're going to pick out one section, why not the whole middle section? Front to back all the way up.

Encourage people to bring scarves. Hold them up during "Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday", there may also be a commercial angle for the club to sell scarves.

First there needs to be enough proof that this can work before you go expecting too much from the club or making demands

First of all, you can't please everyone. It's not even about pleasing people...it's about what is in the best interest of the club. More singing is exactly what the club needs. I sit near the bottom of the Kop and would never move near the back for three reasons. One of the reasons is I think it's a worse view due to the pillars, the second reason is I think being nearer to the action is better & thirdly (and probably mainly) the band are more muffled at the bottom. 

The whole Kop should sing, that is correct. roger, the whole STADIUM should sing. But that will only happen in isolated incidents/games ie:promotion, derby days etc. To have the whole Kop as a designated singing/standing section won't happen because it won't be deemed safe to be all standing and it's too big for it to be an effective 'singing' section. The whole point of the singing section is it will be the source of 90 minute atmosphere, it is up to the rest of the stand/stadium to join in if they want to. If we have our loudest/most vocal fans scattered here there and everywhere on the Kop..some at the bottom..some at the top etc then it's extremely difficult to get everyone singing coherently. When we played City away it was very difficult to get the whole 5/6/7k singing the same song at the same time. When the right hand side were singing, by the time the noise reached the left hand side/top tier that atmosphere on the right hand side had either died down or we had started singing something else.

This is why everyone who wants to sing needs to be stood in one block at Hillsborough. The far right hand side block next to Tango's nest is perfect. Plenty of wall space for those banners at the back of the Kop to be displayed proudly for the whole stadium/nation/world to see. Having 'the whole middle section' wouldn't work...it's too big and too scattered...the Kop is sort of split into an upper half and a lower half remember. We also need to learn that, sometimes, a bit of tinpotted-ness isn't a bad idea. Flags/Scarves can be a great way of geeing the players up prior to a game. It shows them that from the off we're right behind them. At the minute, especially on those dull dreary winter evening games (Tuesday coming) we politely clap them out...not only is that a crap sight/sound for the players to walk out to...but I don't know about everyone else but it leaves me feeling flat before we've even kicked a ball. H

In my opinion the club needs to send a survey via email to all current season ticket holders & ask their opinions on what they want. We can't please everyone, and I know people who don't have season tickets also have opinions. But season ticket holders commit their money to the club well in advance and should have the final say on stuff like this IMO. 

I sit near the bottom of the Kop and would never move near the back for three reasons. One of the reasons is I think it's a worse view due to the pillars, the second reason is I think being nearer to the action is better & thirdly (and probably mainly) the band are more muffled at the bottom. 

And right there you've highlighted one major issue. You "would never move near the back" but you expect other people to move.

Every home game, the only area singing on the Kop is the back.Granted there are a few in the middle, a few around the band, a few in front of the band and a section on the other side. Granted theres tango corner, but theres a smaller number in there.

The view is worse near the front, further away from the roof so harder to make noise, gets wet when its raining/snowing (remember the mass evacuation against Bolton?)

To have the whole Kop as a designated singing/standing section won't happen because it won't be deemed safe to be all standing and it's too big for it to be an effective 'singing' section.

Who's talking about standing?

And having an whole stand singing works for other clubs - why isnt it working for ours?

In my opinion the club needs to send a survey via email to all current season ticket holders & ask their opinions on what they want. We can't please everyone, and I know people who don't have season tickets also have opinions. But season ticket holders commit their money to the club well in advance and should have the final say on stuff like this IMO. 

Again, Im guessing the vast majority of ST holders sit where they do for a reason, their mates, the view etc...

People have season tickets in certain areas because they like where they sit. Im not saying people wont move, but before you isolate these people why not ask the question first?

I understand why you have chosen that area of the stand and I get all of the reasons... it just appears youve selected the area the furthest away from the band and all of the people at the back who sing already.

I hope it works, because something needs to be done. Maybe a section down there will encourage the rest of the kop to sing. Who knows, i just think it needs more thought.

Guest George Smith

My 1st thought was that we should start at the back in the seats between the band and the middle (Hopefully without the band in that equation)

Then after a season of non stop singing, move down to the front near Tangos corner

But now I just think F..K IT lets get down there and show some passion and IF people want to join us then fair enough. If not we'll just do it anyway.

After all WAWAW and because of that we should all get behind this. Lots of passion, lots of noise and no doubt some serious bouncing

My 1st thought was that we should start at the back in the seats between the band and the middle (Hopefully without the band in that equation)

Then after a season of non stop singing, move down to the front near Tangos corner

But now I just think F..K IT lets get down there and show some passion and IF people want to join us then fair enough. If not we'll just do it anyway.

After all WAWAW and because of that we should all get behind this. Lots of passion, lots of noise and no doubt some serious bouncing

The club needs to put some serious graft & advertisement into this as soon as it's confirmed though.

Let people know that, wherever the block may be, that THAT is the singing section where banners and flags can be hung & people can stand and sing continuously.

Otherwise, come the first home game next season, you'll have some old dears in that particular block confused as to why there are a bunch of drunk louts with flags sat next to them lol

It's definitley possible. Palace have done it, Man Utd and City are also doing it.

It just needs someone from the club to be arsed about organising it properly. A half arsed attempt won't do. A half arsed attempt could potentially lead to chaos.

The back of the Kop really won't work. The Kop is too large and too steep. 

Guest George Smith

Also I don't get this 'The noise will just disappear down Penistone road' 

Anyone heard Tango at the match ?

1 Man

100 Men will be heard bigtime

BTW the old dear will be welcome as long as she sings for 90 mins

Also I don't get this 'The noise will just disappear down Penistone road' 

Anyone heard Tango at the match ?

1 Man

100 Men will be heard bigtime

BTW the old dear will be welcome as long as she sings for 90 mins

Haha, weren't saying that. Just meant the people who have season tickets in whatever block is chosen this season would have to be informed that the block is becoming the singing section and they would have to find somewhere else to sit IF they don't want to stand and sing.

Wasn't suggesting putting an age restriction on the singing section lol

I have a feeling the atmosphere will be a bit low key tonight.

It'll be poo poo. To put it bluntly. 

We'll politely clap them out, sing Hi Ho halfheartedly and then most will sit on their hands all night.

As beautiful as Hillsborough looks under the floodlights, the ''atmosphere'' can be soul destroying. 

Guest George Smith

Been down to meet the club today 

Great news 

The subject of the Atmosphere at S6 has been brought up at the latest club meeting and they seem right behind trying to improve it  and taking the fans thoughts on board.

They are going to bring up the question of having a singing section on the kop with Mr Chansiri. 

It will take time but we've made a start and more dialog will have to take place, but lots of positive stuff including -

Where to have it ie; top or bottom 

Which area is acoustically best for it to be - The club are getting people in to find the best area !

Dialog with the band

1 Drum (would that work better)

ETC ETC

Edited by George Smith

This is not a dig, but a question about the band;

You say that you want the drummer from the band to come on board, but not the trumpets.  As such, you're asking one bloke to start attending the matches without his mates.  Is this reasonable?  Would you give up going to the match with your friends/family if asked to do so?

Guest George Smith

This is not a dig, but a question about the band;

You say that you want the drummer from the band to come on board, but not the trumpets. As such, you're asking one bloke to start attending the matches without his mates. Is this reasonable? Would you give up going to the match with your friends/family if asked to do so?

No we don't

we want a drummer that can actually play a drum

Why not designate an area of the Kop,signposted in some way, as the singing area. The tickets for this area to be sold at clearly marked and designated turnstiles, and 'horror of horrors' the stewards instucted to turn a blind eye to anyone standing in this area.