Atmosphere at S6

Guest George Smith

Guest George Smith

Just sent this to The Club -

Hi,

As you know and have perhaps seen we’re still trying to get the atmosphere going on the kop by none stop singing and support. We have seen though over the last two home matches that fans and friends of ours, who are committed to singing win lose or draw, haven’t been allowed into the area where we are and have been told by stewards that this is because there has been some trouble there. Personally I didn’t see any trouble at the Bournemouth game which was the game that proceeded this action by the stewards. That particular match saw more people singing in that section than before and lead to one of the best atmospheres up there for a while. Though we appreciate that if there was some trouble then of course it needs to be cut out , we also want to see the atmosphere at s6 improved as I’m sure you do, the players do and Milan does, as it will help the team to progress and increase revenue.

You only have to look at what Crystal Palace have done to see what a group of like minded, committed fans can do. The Palace section get mentioned on a weekly basis, not only by their players and manager, but also by the media. Palace as a club have said that their fans have definitely become the 12th man and have been a big reason as to why the club are where they are now.

We would like to have a singing section at Hillsborough. Full of committed like minded people (our fans since the advent of seating and the introduction of The Band have lost their voice) who want to enjoy an atmosphere at matches. We feel the area where we stand would be ideal to start with (then hopefully in the future, moving to the area at the bottom of the kop near the North stand just below where Tango stands) as there are plenty of spare seats for people to move into. We’d like to put more flags up to highlight this area as well.

Also as I’m sure you’re aware we aren’t big fans of The Band, but appreciate that some fans still like them and agree that it should be each to their own. We felt the atmosphere at the back of the kop was slow to get going yesterday with the band not being present, but was fantastic 2nd half as the crowd found their voice. Can we ask that if the band aren’t going to be there on any future matches, that you let us know as we have a drum and would like to take it to a few matches as many people feel that just 1 drum would enhance the atmosphere and not drown it out like the band do at the moment. It would get more people singing (Like it used to be on the kop and other singing sections around the country and abroad) and not drown out songs that have already started.

Of course the club has to adhere to Health + Safety, but we feel that a section like this could help improve safety and lead to the clubs finances improving as well. IF we could get the atmosphere going on the kop it would lead to more people especially young people coming to S6. It could also lead to more of the people who used to sing on the kop moving back to the kop.

Most importantly from our point of view it would get all the singers together in the area they should be, instead of being split around the ground.

Back on The Kop and making Hillsborough a fortress again.

Regards

George Smith

Sat in grand stand yesterday and apart from when we scored heard nothing from kop. North stand were louder. There is no atmosphere at Hillsboro any more too many moaners moaning at red cod we didn't win at throw in in our own half.

Sat in grand stand yesterday and apart from when we scored heard nothing from kop. North stand were louder. There is no atmosphere at Hillsboro any more too many moaners moaning at red cod we didn't win at throw in in our own half.

Just a point about the letter - why should we have to relocate to a worse view in order to have this "singing section"? You go to the football to watch a football match, so my view would always prioritise the atmosphere. If you're going purely for the songs, perhaps a choir is more for you

There are a few issues for a singing section

(1) Deciding on an area of the ground as people who sit in Kop and North may not want to move

(2) Asking the band to co-operate

(3) People having patience for something like this to come together.

Number 2..You just run off wiv a Tuba to wherever you want 'em to play...You just need a steward who can sprint... Edited by asteener1867

Just a point about the letter - why should we have to relocate to a worse view in order to have this "singing section"? You go to the football to watch a football match, so my view would always prioritise the atmosphere. If you're going purely for the songs, perhaps a choir is more for you

Its traditionally where fans create an atmosphere at football games. Cheaper tickets, and the view argument is down to opinion, some people prefer the view behind the goal.

There are a few issues for a singing section

(1) Deciding on an area of the ground as people who sit in Kop and North may not want to move

(2) Asking the band to co-operate

(3) People having patience for something like this to come together.

Getting the band to cooperate can either be done the easy way or the hard way. Might not be popular for this post, but look at the Scotland game if youre looking for a way to get rid.

Number 2..You just run off wiv a Tuba to wherever you want 'em to play...You just need a steward who can sprint...

:biggrin:

Getting the band to cooperate can either be done the easy way or the hard way. Might not be popular for this post, but look at the Scotland game if youre looking for a way to get rid.

I believe people on Kop have tried to reason before with them without success?

Could be wrong though

West stand upper would be a great singing section. One of the best views in the ground and you can get some right noise bouncing off the roof.

Leeds manage to get supporters singing behind both goals too by relocating the away fans. Unreserved seating would be the way forward.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Good points...especially about the band...their time is up and after the disgraceful showing at the last England match lets hope they get binned by both of us.

Trust you to be supporting terrorists

If you want to get rid of the band..its easy...

Next home game..EVERYBODY turns up with a musical instrument...Tuba..Piccollo..pink flute..Banjo, Hammond Organ...

The Steward says...

"Sorry mate you can't come in here wiv that"..

you reply..

"They do"..

and point at Hemminghams trumpet..

Now the steward is in a quandary...cos of Hemminghams trumpet..and the bloke wiv the baby grand piano behind you thats shoutin' "Whats the hold up"..

So you strum on yer banjo while the steward runs to find Mr Meadows who's now in charge of musical direction cos no f.oo.ker kicks anyones head in anymore...

Mr Meadows arrives to find a load of nutters pretendin' to be the Halle Orchestra outside gate 5 on Penistone..and can't really figure out how to deal wiv it..So I then suggest a play off..and strum the first couple of bars from "Duellin' Banjos..."...

Now I know..cos I'm musical..that it sounds f..ookin' ridiculous..If you try and play Duellin' Banjos on a Tuba..or a trumpet..So Hemminghams out in the first round...I launch into George Formbys "When I;m cleanin' windows"..in a Purple haze of frantic fingers..and the drummer f..ooks off...

So you are then left wiv Fishcake and a couple of Contraltos..Job done...

I sit at the bottom of the Kop and generally can't hear songs when/if they get going at the back of the Kop. That's maybe something due to the acoustics.

If I can't hear, then the players/rest of the stadium definitely aren't and THAT is why the atmopshere at Hillsborough is generally poo poo.

Get somewhere at the bottom of the kop, that last tier next to Tango is actually a decent view. You can still see the game...trust me. 

You're closer to the pitch, people will see the bouncing/flags & be able to hear better. It can also be quite intimidating for opposition players.

You've got all those flags at the top of the kop but no rascal can see them because they're right at the back and people are obviously stood in front of them.

Get them to the bottom!

It won't affect our season that much in terms of on the pitch. But it'll make home games a damn sight more enjoyable.

Palace fans took a stand and their 'Holmesdale End' probably has the best atmosphere in the country now.

We have the numbers. But not the resources at the minute.

Their is NO point having the 'singers' of Hillsborough all stood in the far top corners of the North and Kop ends.