Good Bye Mr Gray

My only gripe with Gray is the striker situation, oh and the Man Cit debacle. Apart from that, I'd say he's done a pretty decent job in difficult circumstances.

I don't think we can blame Gray for the striker situation.  It surely comes from the top.   If MM said to Gray, here's 1-2 million, go get that striker, I'm sure Gray would go get one in.  

I was surprised he went for Gray to but he won me over, he won some of the fans over and he earned the job.

Sadly, Gray was just a cheap option, stop-gap and the fall guy, whilst MM tried to flog us off to any dodgy crook who showed an interest.

It could've and still could be so different, if he only backed one of his managers at this level in order to make us more attractive to potential buyers and investors.

Agreed he won me over during December January of last season. But after that and apart from august this season he hasn't really shown me anything to suggest that's he's anything other than a coach, we have all the basics right but no character to the side or bit of excitement or spark in the side. For me he's created a good defences platform but it is simply some of the most ineffective football I've watched in years and to have not scored from open play at home in my own opinion is disgraceful and an insult to any season ticket holder.

The problem for isn't the players it's the manager as he's saying in his interviews the players are performing how he wants.

I don't think we can blame Gray for the striker situation.  It surely comes from the top.   If MM said to Gray, here's 1-2 million, go get that striker, I'm sure Gray would go get one in.

Fair enough, we know he hasn't been backed in that sense, but Milan has said that the money is there to bring in a couple of loans. Gray himself has said that terms were agreed with several players, so I presume the money was there. If over a period of several months, we cannot bring a player in, you have to ask why.

Agreed he won me over during December January of last season. But after that and apart from august this season he hasn't really shown me anything to suggest that's he's anything other than a coach, we have all the basics right but no character to the side or bit of excitement or spark in the side. For me he's created a good defences platform but it is simply some of the most ineffective football I've watched in years and to have not scored from open play at home in my own opinion is disgraceful and an insult to any season ticket holder.

The problem for isn't the players it's the manager as he's saying in his interviews the players are performing how he wants.

You could be right. Gray and the players themselves aren't blameless. But he's still waiting for the experienced DOF he was promised by MM. 

Also he's operating with his hands tied behind his back, last season he had Wickham, Fryatt and Best to work with, this season we've got a League 1 or League 2 level strikeforce. Plus if he is axed, the next guy will have the same unbalanced poor squad to work with and the same low budget to work with. So, the cycle will repeat itself, until we eventually go down. 

Edited by MilansMissingMarbles

If gray gets sacked it will be after the Jan window when MM knows he won't have to out money into players for a new manager. The new manager will have the objective of keeping us up with promise of funds in the summer. This won't be delivered and the merry go round starts all over again.

If gray gets sacked it will be after the Jan window when MM knows he won't have to out money into players for a new manager. The new manager will have the objective of keeping us up with promise of funds in the summer. This won't be delivered and the merry go round starts all over again.

Got a funny feeling you're right. It's like groundhog day, every season at this level ever since promotion.

I don't see the point of sacking him...who available is any better..Meggo...Jones..Jewell..Laws..?

I think he's deserved this season at least, its not as though we are getting hammered week in week out, sadly we don't look like scoring, but with Lavery on the way back maybe he can be the one that strikes up a partnership with May.

Milan won't give him any more money to buy..The loan market is solely dependant on who's available and all these restrictions will be in place for the next incumbent, who will have the same honeymoon period before we go through this crap again.

As for "Grays a coach, not a manager"..thats a load of absolute bll x...He either knows his stuff or he doesn't...

If it were only about this window, then I could cut him some slack. It isn't though, we didn't do it in the summer, we didn't do it last time the window closed and we've missed out again. That's not acceptable

When MM first took over a Leicester fan came on here & said something to the effect of "He's ok, he saved us in our hour of need but he never delivers on his promises. Every summer or prior to every transfer window he'd say we're going to sign "X" number of players but they never did". He's continued in the same vein here, I don't know why so many of you are suddenly surprised.

Fair enough, we know he hasn't been backed in that sense, but Milan has said that the money is there to bring in a couple of loans. Gray himself has said that terms were agreed with several players, so I presume the money was there. If over a period of several months, we cannot bring a player in, you have to ask why.

i keep saying this maybe they were happy where they were ,maybe the finanacial package wernt what they wanted .as anyone else gone out and signed them .....you keep saying gray hasnt done enough to sign a striker and i´ll ask again who´s he missed out on ......assomblonga ,matt derbyshire ,matty fryatt,cog ....tell me. ..... i´ll give you one as a starter benik afobe and if we had signed him in the summer this site would have gone in meltdown saying he was crap and how would we crave for someone who scored as many as he as this season .

My only gripe with Gray is the striker situation, oh and the Man Cit debacle. Apart from that, I'd say he's done a pretty decent job in difficult circumstances.

Think the Charlton cup game was by far the biggest clanger he's dropped.  A potential cash-cow for the Club and he ballsed it right up that night.

I agree he's doing an OK job in difficult circumstances, but that's as far as I'd go.  Not calling for him to go, but he can't hide behind finances, lack of loans etc forever.  He knew the deal when he took the job regarding lack of finances - its then up to the manager to work his best in the situation he is taken on under.  This system he's playing at home at the minute is almost unforgivable.  

Think the Charlton cup game was by far the biggest clanger he's dropped.  A potential cash-cow for the Club and he ballsed it right up that night.

I agree he's doing an OK job in difficult circumstances, but that's as far as I'd go.  Not calling for him to go, but he can't hide behind finances, lack of loans etc forever.  He knew the deal when he took the job regarding lack of finances - its then up to the manager to work his best in the situation he is taken on under.  This system he's playing at home at the minute is almost unforgivable.  

so he´s doing OK  in difficult circumstances .......at last a sensible post well done matt .

I'm fully expecting us to lose to Wigan, seeing as we always lose to them, we're terrible at home and they're on a new manager bounce, but this doesn't mean I want Gray gone. I'm sick and tired of watching other clubs succumbing to short-termism when it's clear that a bit of consistency and sticking with your manager is much better. I'd give Gray every chance (which involves a bit of proper backing) and more time to turn it around. You've got to remember, we are 13th in the championship, which we all would have been happy with at the start of the season, plus we've got one of the best defences in the division. This is a good foundation to slowly build on, so let's just sit tight and let Stu keep at it rather than give him the boot and start the merry-go-round all over again.

i keep saying this maybe they were happy where they were ,maybe the finanacial package wernt what they wanted .as anyone else gone out and signed them .....you keep saying gray hasnt done enough to sign a striker and i´ll ask again who´s he missed out on ......assomblonga ,matt derbyshire ,matty fryatt,cog ....tell me. ..... i´ll give you one as a starter benik afobe and if we had signed him in the summer this site would have gone in meltdown saying he was crap and how would we crave for someone who scored as many as he as this season .

As much as I agree with you, most championship clubs couldn't have afforded the sort of investment on Assombalonga, he cost £5 million which is their record transfer fee. If Forest come in and offer Fryatt more money and a promotion push we're going to struggle to match that. Also, as much as Afobe is going about proving us wrong this year with his scoring record in League 1, there's no point saying we could have foreseen the sort of turnaround he's undergone as let's face it he was pretty poor when he was here last year. And let's be truly fair here - we did go out and sign Stevie May, who I would be a hell of a lot more excited about than Matt Derbyshire. However, our transfer negotiations are poor, it appears we had Vaz Te in the door before he turned us down, we let Blackpool get in ahead of us to sign a winger of the quality of Chris Eagles even when it's abundantly obvious we're crying out for someone to swing some proper crosses in, while it appears to be true that Mackail-Smith took Peterborough over us. We're clearly not an attractive proposition to players, despite a coach who is hugely popular among the players. I get the feeling as Gray owes his job to Milan he just lets them get on with the transfers, but this leads to him being not properly backed as he doesn't dare actually speak his mind.

Edited by CoDSW3

Guest WoodhouseOwl77

You don't believe all of that do you?

I'm fully expecting us to lose to Wigan, seeing as we always lose to them, we're terrible at home and they're on a new manager bounce, but this doesn't mean I want Gray gone. I'm sick and tired of watching other clubs succumbing to short-termism when it's clear that a bit of consistency and sticking with your manager is much better. I'd give Gray every chance (which involves a bit of proper backing) and more time to turn it around. You've got to remember, we are 13th in the championship, which we all would have been happy with at the start of the season, plus we've got one of the best defences in the division. This is a good foundation to slowly build on, so let's just sit tight and let Stu keep at it rather than give him the boot and start the merry-go-round all over again.

As much as I agree with you, most championship clubs couldn't have afforded the sort of investment on Assombalonga, he cost £5 million which is their record transfer fee. If Forest come in and offer Fryatt more money and a promotion push we're going to struggle to match that. Also, as much as Afobe is going about proving us wrong this year with his scoring record in League 1, there's no point saying we could have foreseen the sort of turnaround he's undergone as let's face it he was pretty poor when he was here last year. And let's be truly fair here - we did go out and sign Stevie May, who I would be a hell of a lot more excited about than Matt Derbyshire. However, our transfer negotiations are poor, it appears we had Vaz Te in the door before he turned us down, we let Blackpool get in ahead of us to sign a winger of the quality of Chris Eagles even when it's abundantly obvious we're crying out for someone to swing some proper crosses in, while it appears to be true that Mackail-Smith took Peterborough over us. We're clearly not an attractive proposition to players, despite a coach who is hugely popular among the players. I get the feeling as Gray owes his job to Milan he just lets them get on with the transfers, but this leads to him being not properly backed as he doesn't dare actually speak his mind.

well he does owe his job to mandaric theres no doubt about that ..... i dont know (as you dont) whether he lets mandaric rides roughshot over him on the transfer dealings but seen as he´s paying with his own money i guess he does . ..... as for speaking his mind the last manager we had who did that was  far more successful than gray was and look what happened to him .....

well he does owe his job to mandaric theres no doubt about that ..... i dont know (as you dont) whether he lets mandaric rides roughshot over him on the transfer dealings but seen as he´s paying with his own money i guess he does . ..... as for speaking his mind the last manager we had who did that was  far more successful than gray was and look what happened to him .....

Who Dave Jones ?

The manager who got us promotion and then continued to improve our fortunes ?

Owlstalk Shop