Taylor-Fletcher

Compare with Steve Howard - at least Howard offered something upfront. Just can't see what GTF brings to the party.

We need an experienced head who can dominate and score. Not easy to find but they do exist.

Do we need an experienced player.

I think experience is such a cliche. Especially at this level. I just want someone who can score. Don't give a stuff whether they're 16 or 36.

Most 'experienced' championship standard strikers that we'll be able to attract will come in a very similar style to GTF.

The only one I may want to look at is Andy Johnson at Palace. 

One thing we lack up front is pace. Which we try to overly compensate for on the wings. This leads to our wingers focusing too much on their attacking duties which leads to Palmer & Helan being dreadfully exposed like yesterday. Especially when we play against teams who play 4-3-3.

I'm fed up of our line ups lacking any sort of shape. May drifts onto the wing. GTF drifts in too deep & doesn't have the pace to drop back up front to support May. Maghoma and Drenthe run wherever the roger they like. McGugan clearly told to hold a deeper central midfield position. Semedo can't too far away from the half-way line. And if he does get the ball in a forward position he passes backwards.

I realise I've drifted off topic.  My point is that a small thing like loaning in the wrong striker in GTF has a massive knock on effect to how we play as a team. The right striker played in the right team & the whole team should slot into place. Ditto McGugan, played in behind May on Saturday and it could have been a different game. 

When he made his debut at Hillsborough I said it looked as though we had subbed on someone's dad out of the crowd who had won a raffle to get a run out on the pitch. He has done nothing in the past month to change that opinion.

I turned to my son and said look I've just got on  lol

I have this sneaky feeling it will get extended for another month.

Gray coming out and saying Gary is just getting fit, his partnership with May is looking lively and Gary will offer us more when he gets fitter.

Unfortunately I think you might be right. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

When you consider Gray's remit was "Not just anybody, but better than what we've got."

GTF isn't that. So god knows why he's come in.

Like I said. Stunk of desperation & just bringing in the only bloke available to us.

It would have been more productive playing Madine & May together for the last few games.

Obviously hindsight is a beautiful thing. But I said it when Madine left. We aren't scoring...why are we loaning a striker out?!

Guest Sheff Owl

When you consider Gray's remit was "Not just anybody, but better than what we've got."

GTF isn't that. So god knows why he's come in.

It might be been ok if it was a last minute thing that cropped up but as i mentioned we waiting 5 or 6 weeks to sign him, which is baffling.

Guest Sheff Owl

Unfortunately I think you might be right. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Well having waited the amount of time to sign him like we did, he is/was unfit and then we will just let him go back? Can't see it.

Keeping him till January probably makes sense to the club/Gray/Leicester.

The surprise would be if we let him go back.

Edited by Sheff Owl

True desperation signing him. Nuhiu, Madine, May even Maghoma upfront would offer far more than GTF. Which says it all!!

But with players wanting to stay and fight for their place (roughly translated as 'sit in the reserves earning £20k a week') at their parent clubs then I'm afraid we're stuck with dross like GTF or have to take gambles on youngsters such as Hallam Hope. 

Experience ..thats why he was brought in...which is a pity cos there were hundreds we could have brought in for that without 'em having to trot out onto the pitch...

I don't blame GTF but it smacks of panic from Gray..."I'll try this then"...thers no cohesive plan behind older loan players...owt they know, you're backroom staff should know anyhow, and the Championship is not a league that'll "give you a minute cos you're not as fast as you used to be"..does no favours to anyone bar the older lad thats playing in front of 20'000 instead of turnin' up for a reserve game in front of 200...does us no favours either

Gone from playing in a Championship winning team to not being good enough for us ......... ok . 

Some of you need a reality check, GTF is a good player, and if May hadn't got in his way yesterday this thread would probably not exist .

That happens though..players get older...Would you play Hirst up front on Saturday?

Well having waited the amount of time to sign him like we did, he is/was unfit and then we will just let him go back? Can't see it.

Keeping him till January probably makes sense to the club/Gray/Leicester.

The surprise would be if we let him go back.

That seems logical, in a way that tries to justify the signing but, we have now signed McGugan who could play that role far more effectively. It might placate Leicester if we keep him for another month, but quite frankly, it's a waste of supposedly scarce resources.