Liam Palmer

I've been saying the same as the OP since the day Palmer went it at right back, he goes in and does a job, hes not wee wee poor but hes not good and how he gets a game ahead of Buxton at times is beyond me, his positional sense is shocking and he just doesn't know the basics of defending, which being a midfielder is understandable, people watch him and think hes brilliant because he tries hard and hes a local lad, in reality, hes not a patch on Buxton. A very good defence are covering up his mistakes.

Ah, you must be Lewis

So we are slagging off one of the defenders in a team that is keeping a clean sheet every other game?

Nothing wrong with the defence, yes Palmer might be a bit raw but he has done a good job this season.

We have bigger problems creating and taking chances.

Bloody hell the second best defence in the championship and you're picking him out for criticism.

Great season last year with his energy and ability to pass the ball helping transform Jones's hoof ball team.

Filling in at right back admirably in place of Buxton. Yes not playing with quite the same sort of confidence as last year but so what neither are maguire and Lee to name two.

The lad generally busts his gut for the team as far as I can see.

Get off his back!

Why it's true..... He was shocking and most our fans don't see it. People I speak to who have played football at a decent level see this. Fans with blind faith who loves clap don't.

If he was 'shocking' I'm sure most fans would actually see it regardless of what level of football they might have played at.

Bloody hell the second best defence in the championship and you're picking him out for criticism.

Great season last year with his energy and ability to pass the ball helping transform Jones's hoof ball team.

Filling in at right back admirably in place of Buxton. Yes not playing with quite the same sort of confidence as last year but so what neither are maguire and Lee to name two.

The lad generally busts his gut for the team as far as I can see.

Get off his back!

Why should he be void of any criticism just because those around him are playing exceptionally well? When we have conceded goals this season it is a recurring them that the balls are coming in from the left hand side of the pitch. Players not being shut down and allowed to play. I think he has some ability as a footballer. My point is that defensively he is a liability and is constantly being got out if jail by those around him. Mainly Westwood.

Helan was arguably our best player yesterday, yet Scannell delivered lot more quality crosses then Bunn.

Key word is quality in that sentence. Bunn's delivery was poor. That has nothing to do with how Palmer handled him and out him off crossing. It was just a lack of quality from Bunn yesterday

If he was 'shocking' I'm sure most fans would actually see it regardless of what level of football they might have played at.

Because you tend to know more about positional sense and the basics that you learn and are drilled into you. To an extent the art of defending is dying and players used to be bollocked if crosses were so easily allowed into the box and players just walking in there. I've mentioned it before but his mistakes aren't being highlighted because of the great job players around him are doing.

The Charlton game is a very good example. Just before they score Westwood tips a shot from close range over the bar. There is a diagonal ball that finds its way to the back post where Palmer should be marking but is nowhere to be seen. Westwood makes (as usual) a very good quality save. We then forget that Palmer has made a big mistake. Then for their goal. Guy runs at Palmer who bottles the challenge and turns his back. He shouldn't have been allowed into the box in the first place. Then his cross/shot is stabbed home. This sticks out because it lead to a goal and rightfully Palmer was blamed. My point is that so many of his errors are swept under the rug because they aren't leading to as many goals. Because of covering defenders and Westwood

Guest tomarkley

I went away to Burnley last season and I thought he was awful, for me I most associate him with giving possession away cheaply. I had a season ticket and went to a fair selection of aways, so I saw a lot of him. I would love to see his stats in passing completion and success rates etc, but I would assume they are crap.

I understand why our fans love him, he's home grown and young, so stick with him. But I'm baffled by the people who think he's anything but a back up, really.

McGugan and Lee are the standard we should be looking at for midfield, Palmer doesn't compare.

There's a reason he's been stuck in at right wing, right back, center mid, but never made any of these positions his own.

He's young though, there's time, given the environment to develop.

Difference is Scannell is alot betterbthan Bunn.

If they switched sides Palmer would've had a nightmare.

He's better in midfield for me anyway. Hopefully when Buxtons back he'll move back in there again. For me his best games for Wednesday have been in midfield.

He's definitely extremely lazy/poor at tracking back. So frustrating to see him ambling back. Wouldn't mind but he doesn't get forward at any real pace that could warrant him being knackered.

Doesn't the other Wednesday player involved in that get any mention...........because he just put his arms up and let the player run between them no challenge at all.

Palmers doing a decent job and was up against a good winger yesterday and dealt with him fine.

For someone to say Scannell would have ripped him a new one, in one thread on here, is irrelevant as he didn't and it's like saying Ronaldo would rip him to shreds....

No he doesn't get a mention in this thread because its a Liam Palmer thread. Of course it's a shambles from him too but the fact that its taken Palmer to let him get into the box to even think about making a challenge is awful. That was just one example of his mistakes. On that occasion he was punished. He would get punished much more often with a worse defence and keeper.

And lol at the Ronaldo comparison. It makes no sense at all seen as Scannell was on the same pitch on the opposite wing. He's a much better established championship player than Bunn who I don't believe has even made 20 league appearances at this level yet