We could be competing for promotion....

I don't understand why you p*ss and moan about it so much. 

You know the deal, MM either doesn't have the money to do it or the appetite to take a gamble.

He's already told us that he cannot take us any further, and that we need fresh investment. 

That doesn't mean i'm happy with it, but i do accept it and i certainly don't blame MM for it.....

Guest Sheff Owl

Milan Mandaric “expects” Sheffield Wednesday to be challenging for promotion next season and today declares himself “not happy” with the job he’s done as chairman over the past two campaigns.

Mandaric also declares that former loan hero Matty Fryatt WILL be among the club’s top transfer targets this summer - while pledging to reduce a reliance on loans.

And the Owls owner reveals in this exclusive interview:-

He has ploughed almost £30m into Hillsborough.

A partnership with an outside investor could be considered after approaches on those lines.

A full takeover remains tantalisingly elusive but Mandaric – who believes Sammy Yu’s Chinese group have some of the knowledge required – is gearing up regardless to take on the challenge for another season. And that means setting his sights on the Premiership.

Mandaric pledges his commitment to sign up the best of the out-of-contract players, including Chris Kirkland and Glenn Loovens, and insists the emphasis on recruitment will be on quality rather than quantity.

“I’m not defending this season,” said the Wednesday chairman, despite the team’s surge to safety and beyond under Stuart Gray.

“The scars are still there from earlier.

“I expected to be pushing for the play-offs, to be honest. When I came here this club was neglected in every area. But we’ve made progress and it’s right for us to be expected to challenge next season, absolutely.”

Mandaric, who has identified summer recruitment as an area to improve, stressed: “We need some players but not too many. . . maybe four or five of quality in certain positions. And our number one priority is to find someone who can score 20 goals.”

Asked about Fryatt, who hit four in nine appearances for the Owls and is soon a free agent at Hull, he said: “Matty will be on a very short list for us. I don’t like to advertise that but, yes, he’s experienced and knows where the goal is. He was my player at Leicester previously and I know what he can do.”

More immediately, says Mandaric, “we can start talking to people like Kirkland and Loovens” about new deals. He admits some of the dozen soon-to-be free agents will leave to afford a tighter, better squad and “avoid the problem we’ve had of carrying some who were injured or not good enough.”

He said: “We can’t afford to make similar mistakes. I’m not 100% happy with our results here. Overall we could have done a lot better apart from my first 18 months. Now there’s time to accelerate the programme.”

Hardly the tone of a man desperate to sell up or one, even at 75, who’s weary of a burden. Still as fidgety and energetic as ever, he again insists the future of the club is paramount and that he will do what it takes.

The club's losing £5m a year and we are wanting to spend big.  People really do have short memories don't they.

No, just spend what clubs like Brentford do. In all fairness, I'd be happy to do it in frees and loans, as long as we brought in those players during the summer, and the loans were of the season long variety. Nobody is asking to skint the club here.

Guest Big Guns

Milan Mandaric “expects” Sheffield Wednesday to be challenging for promotion next season and today declares himself “not happy” with the job he’s done as chairman over the past two campaigns.

Mandaric also declares that former loan hero Matty Fryatt WILL be among the club’s top transfer targets this summer - while pledging to reduce a reliance on loans.

And the Owls owner reveals in this exclusive interview:-

He has ploughed almost £30m into Hillsborough.

A partnership with an outside investor could be considered after approaches on those lines.

A full takeover remains tantalisingly elusive but Mandaric – who believes Sammy Yu’s Chinese group have some of the knowledge required – is gearing up regardless to take on the challenge for another season. And that means setting his sights on the Premiership.

Mandaric pledges his commitment to sign up the best of the out-of-contract players, including Chris Kirkland and Glenn Loovens, and insists the emphasis on recruitment will be on quality rather than quantity.

“I’m not defending this season,” said the Wednesday chairman, despite the team’s surge to safety and beyond under Stuart Gray.

“The scars are still there from earlier.

“I expected to be pushing for the play-offs, to be honest. When I came here this club was neglected in every area. But we’ve made progress and it’s right for us to be expected to challenge next season, absolutely.”

Mandaric, who has identified summer recruitment as an area to improve, stressed: “We need some players but not too many. . . maybe four or five of quality in certain positions. And our number one priority is to find someone who can score 20 goals.”

Asked about Fryatt, who hit four in nine appearances for the Owls and is soon a free agent at Hull, he said: “Matty will be on a very short list for us. I don’t like to advertise that but, yes, he’s experienced and knows where the goal is. He was my player at Leicester previously and I know what he can do.”

More immediately, says Mandaric, “we can start talking to people like Kirkland and Loovens” about new deals. He admits some of the dozen soon-to-be free agents will leave to afford a tighter, better squad and “avoid the problem we’ve had of carrying some who were injured or not good enough.”

He said: “We can’t afford to make similar mistakes. I’m not 100% happy with our results here. Overall we could have done a lot better apart from my first 18 months. Now there’s time to accelerate the programme.”

Hardly the tone of a man desperate to sell up or one, even at 75, who’s weary of a burden. Still as fidgety and energetic as ever, he again insists the future of the club is paramount and that he will do what it takes.

The clappers will ignore that and pretend he never said it

No, just spend what clubs like Brentford do. In all fairness, I'd be happy to do it in frees and loans, as long as we brought in those players during the summer, and the loans were of the season long variety. Nobody is asking to skint the club here.

It's that simple isn't it.

And do these players get paid in biscuits?

Just not bothered...

how much did dwight gayle or assambalonga cost peterboro b4 they sold them on for millions?? There are good players out there its about finding em and we never do

There would have been uproar on here had you signed Gayle or Assambaologna

No doubt more or less everyone on here would call Milan "tight" and all the other stuff

I'm just bored with Wednesday and apathetic about football at large right now.  The game is ruined, possibly beyond repair.  It needs a reboot from the ground up but it will not happen.  

Following a football club should not feel like a chore or like hard work.  There will always be ups and downs but it should not feel boring for months on end.  

When the most interesting news story about football is whether a club will rehire a convicted criminal or not, you know that there are issues with the game.

that my friend is utter bull poo

You telling me if you signed a player from Bishops Straford (Gayle) this forum wouldn't have gone into meltdown?

You know it would matey.

The remit for the likes of Peterborough and Crewe etc is totally different to the one here at Wednesday.

Edited by Liam_Baggies

You telling me if you signed a player from Bishops Straford (Gayle) this forum wouldn't have gone into meltdown?

You know it would matey.

The remit for the likes of Peterborough and Crewe etc is totally different to the one here at Wednesday.

I think it depends on how that player untimately turns out Liam.  Wednesday have signed non-league players in the past and they have become popular. 

Edited by shandypants

We have the uncanny ability to spot outstanding players in unexpected places and then drain the confidence and creativity out them and turn them into mediocre development squad players who will eventually give up and drift out of football.

Then 3 years later once they are away from here they come back as top performers at this level while we continue to favour old or unfit loan players instead.