Maguire does himself no favours...

Guest tomarkley

Didn't see the one at Burnley in cup this season, but anyone who went last season there in the 1-1 draw will have seen him completely scythed down in the box with no theatrics and he didn't get a penalty.

Can't win.

I agree he doesn't do himself any favours but it doesn't stop it being a penalty and I can't keep count of how many blatant penalties we have turned down. When you see all the soft that are given up and down the league it makes you wonder what is going on and why we don't even get the clear cut ones

The worst phrase in football.

"Entitled to go down"

You're either fouled or you're not. It's phrases like this that encourage diving. It's becoming accepted and it's 5h1t.

Football is a contact sport.

Absolutely bang on mate!

The only time that a player should end up on the floor is when he cannot stay up!

Sick of hearing people like that to55er Shearer saying a player 'was entitled to go down'!!

all this any sort of touch and you go down is just cheating ,and why it is condoned is a blight on the game I would much rather a player try to ride the tackle and get on with it than see one diving and writhing about like he has been shot ,

You see this in ever league from all types of players. If there's contact they are entitled to go down. I'd like to hear why the ref didn't give it because he's been caught!

"Entitled to go down" is the biggest form of cheat justification there is!

Quite simply, if there's not enough contact to force you down and you go down the you are diving. It's cheating. And it's flipping ruining football.

Guest JonTheOwl66

He did his man and drew a foul. Watched it real time and it looks a penalty all day long.......

....... But let's have a thread slagging off one of our best players......

........ flipping morons

You literally cannot stand anybody criticising the club. It's frightening.

Guest Sheff Owl

People need to forget if it was a pen or not, Maguire has history of it and refs do their homework and pay attention to the players that do it, they are trying to stamp it out.

Antonio was accused of simulation/going down too easily and he became a marked man by refs.

Ashley Young, Arjen Robben, Victor Moses (yesterday too) also have history of it.

A retired ref was saying that refs know the players that have a history of doing it, there is a natural and unnatural way of going down and Maguires is very suspect, throwing his arms out and chest forward is what he does, he doesn't need to do that.

He did his man and drew a foul. Watched it real time and it looks a penalty all day long.......

....... But let's have a thread slagging off one of our best players......

........ flipping morons

He didn't draw the foul, he anticipated it. If he'd have let the foul happen then either the ref or linesman would have made the correct decission.

This is a thread critisising the modern day footballer, because cheats are making this game poo poo.

Really annoyed at Maguire. If he'd have just let the tackle happen instead of anticipating it and waiting for it we'd have probably got the penalty.

it's not the first time he's done it.

The way I see it, if Maguire just let the tackle happen, I still don't think we would have been given a pen.  

The incident happened in the 85th minute while the game was at 0-0. Giving a pen to the away team at that moment in the game was highly unlikely.

The way he went down was totally unnatural that's probably what made the refs mind up.Thing is it was a penalty had he been less theatrical it could have been given,do you not think refs talk to each other about players that are likely to take a dive.

Doesn't matter how you fall it was a stone wall penalty , the ref was utter garbage again

Posted in one of the numerous other threads but thought it'd fit in here quite nicely

When is a dive a dive?

Is a player not fully entitled to fall down if that's what he wants to do?

Surely you don't get booked for 'diving' purely for falling down? Is it dishonest to fall down? No. It's only dishonest to then appeal as if you've been chopped down. Falling down is no more deceitful than Waddle dropping the shoulder, Cruyff dragging the ball back, Pele running one side of the keeper and allowing the ball to run the other side, Ighalo standing five yards offside for a through ball to Vydra, a player running over the ball at a free kick, a penalty taker giving the keeper the eyes at a penalty. Deceit is a key part of the game of football and it shouldn't be cut out.

Cheating is a different matter. It's cheating to fall down and then claim a foul when nobody has touched you.

Maguire may well have already been falling down but falling down in itself is not a punishable offence.

By the time he actually hits the deck he's been fouled. By the time he appeals for the penalty he's been fouled.

It's a foul in the box so its a penalty.

Doesn't matter how you fall it was a stone wall penalty , the ref was utter garbage again

The point is though that if you go down naturally you generally get the pen as it looks more believable. Trying to win a pen only puts doubt in the refs mind. I personally think it was a pen but I also can see why the ref didn't give it. Footballers need to man up. It's a man's game played by wimps and it's getting worse all the time.

Posted in one of the numerous other threads but thought it'd fit in here quite nicely

You only fall down to try and win a foul which is cheating. In know way is it comparable to waddle dropping his shoulder.

Edit: I have no idea what I have just quoted here it was meant to be the post 2 up.

Edited by archieswfc

Guest JonTheOwl66

It's so painfully obvious loads of people have never played football on here before.

Professional footballers now are taught how to protect themselves from tackles to avoid injuries.

You see so many horrible injuries from tackles where peoples feet are planted in the ground.

Footballers often jump or fall theatrically for this very reason. To protect themselves.

For the record, it was a clear penalty. all day every day. Irrelevant where the ball ended up or whether he fell theatrically, he was fouled. It was a penalty.