Brian Laws had us playing like Brazil

Laws did very good, football entertaining, highest place finish since the premiership.

Unfortunately the rug was pulled from under him by the board he then became the fall guy.

Good bloke, passionate. Well respected.

I'd take Gray as looking after the defensive side and Laws back as manager in a heartbeat for the attacking side.

Edited by tuttuttut

Guest Big Guns

One thing I remember about laws was the players saying he wanted them to express themselves.

But we did have a good blend of attacking players back then.

i think we have now and i think laws would get them performing 

I don't particularly subscribe to the "never go back" point of view.  The team was worse because Laws had the square root of fvvcckk all to spend on it.  Although I am critical of MM about his lack of ambition and small budget, he does appear to provide SG with more funds that Dave Allen and Lee Strafford provided Brian Laws.  I'm not advocating that Laws replaces Gray but it would be interesting to see that type of players Laws would bring in and the style of play he would employ if he was manager now.  My guess is that we wouldn't draw that often. 

Laws did not get sacked harshly. Would be going back to someone who has already failed as our manager once and failed a couple of times since he left us.

Although I do agree he was in the main doing the job at Wednesday under difficult circumstances.

Why Laws and not Sturrock? (Was going to put Megson but that subject has been done to death)

Laws did not get sacked harshly. Would be going back to someone who has already failed as our manager once and failed a couple of times since he left us.

Although I do agree he was in the main doing the job at Wednesday under difficult circumstances.

Why Laws and not Sturrock? (Was going to put Megson but that subject has been done to death)

No-one can argue with Sturrock's performance in the promotion season but it was grim after that.  I don't subscribe to this King Paul Sturrock stuff also (not to say you do either). 

Potter was not good in his loan spell.

Anyone who went to QPR away will remember the central midfield featuring Potter being so overrun it was embarrassing.

I was shocked when Laws wanted him permanently though not as shocked as Laws wanting Purse when he had played like a donkey at Hillsborough in Cardiff's must win final game of the season.

I guess Burnely and Scunthorpe fans would not wish to share in the Laws love-in.

Guest JonTheOwl66

To be fair, Potter was good during his loan period!

Potter was excellent for us on loan. I remember him scoring a last minute free-kick once which I went mental to.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Anyone?

Managed Burnley with arguably the lowest ever Premier League budget and did respectably - although they did get relegated.

Got Scunthorpe promoted then got very hardly sacked for seemingly no reason.

That's all I can remember off-hand. Isn't he an assistant somewhere now? I know he's been doing punditry.

Laws works for BBC radio Nottingham, helping with football commentaries.

His time at Scunny was sadly not a success.   Without Nigel Adkins to help him, they went from bad to worse.

He got sacked after Scunthorpe lost a home FAC game to local rivals Grimsby Town, who are a conference side.  Enough said.

I wouldn't want him back.   Nice bloke though, as is Stewie.

Managed Burnley with arguably the lowest ever Premier League budget and did respectably - although they did get relegated.

That's all I can remember off-hand. Isn't he an assistant somewhere now? I know he's been doing punditry.

Brain Laws never got Scunny promoted after he left us.

I am not sure Burnley fans would agree that his time there was respectable.

Potter was a player for a certain style of play that we were trying to implement for a time under Laws.

For a while it looked good but when it went off the rails, expectation got piled on him as he was the one with some ability.

Expectation is always the precursor to resentment and sure enough, Potter became a hate figure: He was no Pirlo after all.

Its easy for limited players. They just run around and put tackles in. There is no expectation on them to create anything or raise the bar, so they are only ever praised for their work rate. Semedo is a case in point- as was JOC. 

Players who have ability that don't show it every game become the targets for merciless abuse. They become the scapegoats.

Coke is a similar figure for the same reason: His performances are hardly ever as bad as people on here make out, it's just 'the cap fits' and he duly gets the abuse. 

Quality should be nurtured.

Laws nurtured quality in players and ignored the haters; that is why Clarke scored 13 goals one season. Because Laws believed in him and let him express himself. 

Laws got scuny relegated after he left us dint he?, though it must be said he took over a side that was proper shybo from Alan Knill, 

i thought he would keep them up when he went back, but in hindsight, im not sure Jose Morinho could turn a side around that has been moulded by knill, .... worst Manager to EVER manage? possibly.

Got burnley relegated.

Got sacked at burnley.

Got Scunthorpe relegated.

Got sacked at scunthorpe.

Now commentates.

Bring him back.

Edited by B.A Baracus