Brian Laws had us playing like Brazil

Bougherra wanted to go and made it clear, he's a footballing mercenary sadly

True, but I think if we were more stable we would have put up more of a fight.

I'd love a Whelan type in midfield now.

laws knew nothing about defensive football...

sides used to swarm through our midfield...

you saw the same when he was appointed burnley manager...

STOP BLAMING MANAGERS UNDER MILAN AT S6, THEY'VE NOT HAD THE SUFFICIENT FUNDING...

More funding than Laws had for sure.

laws did a great job, sniffed out some real bargains (something our current lot ought to be doing better). those who were saying he took us down etc fair enough we were on our way, but any half decent player we had was sold. since our premiership days, he has by and far done the best (9th and 12th place finishes despite a pathetic budget).

many bizarrely on here adore megson who despite one of the biggest budgets in the league below was struggling to keep us in the play offs, taking this into account surely laws wasn't half bad

I think Laws did a better job than what he was given credit for.

We finished 9th just 4points away from play offs!

We then lost good players, Bougeherra first then, Brunt, Mclean and Whelan.

He kept us up  the following season before a boring mid table finish which at the time was considered a success. 

And he did all this on possibly the smallest budget in the division!

Laws actually did a better job than Sturrock in my opinion, but strangely Sturrock avoids any criticism as he gave us that ' Fantastic Day Out At Cardiff' .

I just felt that with the fantastic squad Sturrock inherited, automatic promotion was definitely within our grasp, but we scrambled into the playoffs and won the final - just.

Laws took on a squad in turmoil, and got us to some very decent finishes, but like 95% of managers he ran his race, to be replaced by a much worse option.

Guest zico sterland

Laws did a great job for 3 seasons ,with no funding and the club in turmoil . The last season I think he just ran out of ideas ,the squad was shot and in decline will very little real talent.Promising youngsters were being made to carry the fight and it may well have ruined the carers of the likes of Wood ,Beevers and Spur as none have hit the top level when it was predicted for all three. Laws was a good manager for us that surely cant be argued.

I remember Brunt and Whelen getting some dogs abuse on here when they were our players. They were not the superstars for Wednesday some people on this thread would have you believe. Think we used money from Whelen to fund about 4 loans players that proved difference in staying up in 2007/08.

I was very sorry to see Maclean go but with hindsight was the correct decision as he suffered from terrible injuries since leaving us, our big mistake was replacing him with Franny Jeffers. Probably the worst transfer in the last ten years.

Over Brian Laws did well for Wednesday but could not complain whent he sack came.

Edited by matthefish2002

James O'Connor wrote

"laws did a great job, sniffed out some real bargains (something our current lot ought to be doing better). those who were saying he took us down etc fair enough we were on our way, but any half decent player we had was sold. since our premiership days, he has by and far done the best (9th and 12th place finishes despite a pathetic budget).

many bizarrely on here adore megson who despite one of the biggest budgets in the league below was struggling to keep us in the play offs, taking this into account surely laws wasn't half bad"

I should remind others that in his last 18 months Laws brought in the 'cream of the crop'

Potter

Purse

Miller

O'Connor

He did not do his homework and even had Potter here on loan can you believe.

Guest Big Guns

Laws did a great job for 3 seasons ,with no funding and the club in turmoil . The last season I think he just ran out of ideas ,the squad was shot and in decline will very little real talent.Promising youngsters were being made to carry the fight and it may well have ruined the carers of the likes of Wood ,Beevers and Spur as none have hit the top level when it was predicted for all three. Laws was a good manager for us that surely cant be argued.

that last season he looked a beaten man hed ran out of ideas i think all managers shud be replaced after two seasons at the most

i think grays ran out of ideas already

James O'Connor wrote

"laws did a great job, sniffed out some real bargains (something our current lot ought to be doing better). those who were saying he took us down etc fair enough we were on our way, but any half decent player we had was sold. since our premiership days, he has by and far done the best (9th and 12th place finishes despite a pathetic budget).

many bizarrely on here adore megson who despite one of the biggest budgets in the league below was struggling to keep us in the play offs, taking this into account surely laws wasn't half bad"

I should remind others that in his last 18 months Laws brought in the 'cream of the crop'

Potter

Purse

Miller

O'Connor

He did not do his homework and even had Potter here on loan can you believe.

To be fair, Potter was good during his loan period!

You should never go back in Football and by the end of his 3 years in charge the team were far worse then we have now.

I don't particularly subscribe to the "never go back" point of view.  The team was worse because Laws had the square root of fvvcckk all to spend on it.  Although I am critical of MM about his lack of ambition and small budget, he does appear to provide SG with more funds that Dave Allen and Lee Strafford provided Brian Laws.  I'm not advocating that Laws replaces Gray but it would be interesting to see that type of players Laws would bring in and the style of play he would employ if he was manager now.  My guess is that we wouldn't draw that often. 

Laws time in charge was probably the best that we've had in the Championship since getting relegated from the Prem in 2000. 

Two of those seasons were pretty good (the first one where we finished 9th was great in the last two to three months) and he did manage to pull off a minor miracle by keeping us up in that second season where we looked complete fooked. 

Like all of our managers it eventually went boobies up and you do wonder what could have been achieved it we had kept hold of the likes of Brunt, Whelan and had Simek fit.