Will clean sheets and draws keep us safe ?

post-4683-0-73364100-1416666150_thumb.jp

Do you think that a sound defence, clean sheets, and points from draws will be enough this season to avoid relegation ?

Is that the (unannounced) plan at the moment ? Just to survive in the division on the squad we have ?

If so (and I know it's not a popular thing) would you be ok and happy with just staying in the division again ?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest wilyfox

no. There will probably come a time during the season when we do concede a goal or two - it happens. Form fluctuates at both ends of the pitch. You need a goal threat throughout. Gray must find one. 

I don't know how we are managing to keep clean sheets with Palmer at right back.

He looked not bothered today and was poor again. Considering he is a Wdnesday fan I'd like to see more passion from him, the amount of times he just trotted back when out of position was ridiculous.

Edited by tomhollywood

Guest wilyfox

I don't know how we are managing to keep clean sheets with Palmer at right back.

He looked not bothered today and was poor again. Considering he is a Wdnesday fan I'd like to see more passion from him, the amount of times he just trotted back when out of position was ridiculous.

i thought he managed Harry Bunn rather well in the first half. Both our full-backs were tested by Scannell, Bunn & Ward - but they came through ok. I think Buxton & Mattock may have struggled for pace against those guys.

Edited by wilyfox

i thought he managed Harry Bunn rather well in the first half. Both our full-backs were tested by Scannell, Bunn & Ward - but they came through ok. I think Buxton & Mattock may have struggled for pace against those guys.

Agree. Thought Palmer did well today.

In regard to the OP,  no it won't keep us safe 

Guest Distraught!

Cos we have the leagues best  keeper.

Sometimes he must stand there thinking do you lot want me to go up and score the goals as well?

No.

no. There will probably come a time during the season when we do concede a goal or two - it happens. Form fluctuates at both ends of the pitch. You need a goal threat throughout. Gray must find one. 

I agree with this. ^

Although MM needs to back Gray more, give him a DOF or let him bring in a goal threat.

You can only ride your luck and depend on a solid defence and keeper for so long.

It only takes one or two mistakes and then it puts pressure on the team to score or else draws and clean sheets will turn into defeats.

It's simple but if you don't score, you don't win games. Sooner or later we are going to have to take more risks.

The game today summed it up for me, it's a fine line between attack and defence. A few times we got opened up too easily on another day we could've conceded a couple.

Whilst at the other end, poor decision making and the final ball let us down. Plus May was unlucky with his effort that hit the bar and post, and Maguire should've had a penalty.

Although it was another bore draw, that game could've easily went either way, if either team took advantage of the other teams mistakes or it could've ended up a score draw,

which would've been a fair result on the balance of play and chances. Our defence and keeper give us a good solid platform to work with, good teams at this level tend to have

a solid spine to their team. Without a goal threat or enough creativity we will continue to be an inconsistent yo-yo bottom half struggler, dependent on loanees and struggling just to stay up on our measly budget.