What exactly does Stuart Gray mean here ?

I reckon it means playing Nuhiu up front on his own with a couple of players either behind or one each side to play with a bit of freedom (within reason). I think the players more suited to this are Drenthe left and Maguire. They are probably the two who can make something happen from nothing but they can also frustrate. At least they will be near their penalty error rather than in the midfield when they frustrate. I can handle that!

Also, playing one up front is not a negative tactic. Chelsea play Costa up top but have the ability to call on gifted players behind in Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, Fabregas and the rest. That's what we need, players who have the ability to interchange with each other and are comfortable with it. Obviously we are no Chelsea but tactically it's a good option to play.

Edited by Babushka1867

I reckon it means playing Nuhiu up front on his own with a couple of players either behind or one each side to play with a bit of freedom (within reason). I think the players more suited to this are Drenthe left and Maguire. They are probably the two who can make something happen from nothing but they can also frustrate. At least they will be near their penalty error rather than in the midfield when they frustrate. I can handle that!

I could go with that, though I suspect he won't leave out May and will probably pair him with the fat boy

I think the changes Gray will make might be going back to a 451 system.

Lee and Semedo in the middle with 3 attacking midfielders ahead of them with Nuhiu up top as the lone striker.

Might look something like this.

Lee  Semedo

Maguire    Maghoma     Drenthe

Nuhiu

Niuhiu to hold the ball up and bring others in to play.  Maguire, Maghoma in his preferred central role and Drenthe on the left should provide lots of creativity.

May and GTF to come on second half if things need to be changed.

Won't drop May as he works too hard. Remember, that's all you need in a Gray team.

This is not quite true- gray prefers defenders who can play it out from the back and he demonstrated his commitment to more footballing type players by giving chances to maghoma, maguire and mattock.

Personally i wish he would extend this to central midfield. 

I think the changes Gray will make might be going back to a 451 system.

Lee and Semedo in the middle with 3 attacking midfielders ahead of them with Nuhiu up top as the lone striker.

Might look something like this.

Lee  Semedo

Maguire    Maghoma     Drenthe

Nuhiu

Niuhiu to hold the ball up and bring others in to play.  Maguire, Maghoma in his preferred central role and Drenthe on the left should provide lots of creativity.

May and GTF to come on second half if things need to be changed.

I hope you are right, that is our strongest line up and gives us a decent platform to build on

I'd like to see that, but I don't think Gray will risk it, especially away from home. Maguire puts in a real shift out on the right wing which is vital to our solidity. Will Drenthe do the same?

probably not..away from home mate...but if Maguire is so solid out there...Why does he keep gettin' dragged off..

probably not..away from home mate...but if Maguire is so solid out there...Why does he keep gettin' dragged off..

I think Gray is starting Maguire with the plan of keeping things solid and hopefully nicking a goal. If that works, I'd imagine Maguire would stay on as he works hard defensively. As that's not been working in recent matches, Maguire has been taken off in order to roll the dice on a different player being able to unlock the opposition defence. Gray clearly thinks this tactic is the best we've got, as he keeps using it every week.

We haven't been nicking any goals?

It depends on your outlook.

If you see us as a team who is deficient and can only get results from pure defensive tactics then you are right.

Personally I think we can do better.

Gray managed to turn things around being positive. No need to revert back to negative tactics now.

we have a tried and trusted way of playing away this season and its been very successful so far ,why do you think that your personal preference way of playing will be even better ?...... whats your plan ?

this great start.....isn't looking so great now is it?

After all, its only 9 points better off than last year now?

Then we put a wonder run together, cant see us doing the same this year somehow.

thank god for blackpool, brum and bolton

9 points better off is quite a difference if you ask me, at this stage in the season.

It's still a good start if we can start attacking better. We've hit a dry spell and we're still mid-table. Last season and the season before, a dry spell would have meant relegation places.

Lee is a shadow of last season.

Maghoma has been a waste of space out wide other than 30-35 mins vs Derby.

TBF to him he looked pretty decent when switched to CM against Birmingham, after being shiite for best part of an hour out wide.

He has to be more consistent.

Palmer has ability and we all love him, but he makes the wrong decision too often and cannot at the moment be released from RB duty without Buxton.

If he was in there then Semedo would have to play with him given that Hutch is out and Lee not playing well.

Coke is enigmatic in that like Maghoma is inconsistent imo.

Played really well early doors and then goes missing for games at a time.

Thought Maguire operating more centrally against Norwich was interesting and he is imo our most creative player.

Too lightweight to play as a proper CM, again imo, and would prombly be in the book every game but it looked like it could have legs.

Personally I'd think about him playing the proper No.10 role although I suspect GTF may be here to help with that.

Think it is unfair for people to keep calling Semedo though.

Agree. One other problem is that we have nobody out wide who can cross a ball except Maghoma occasionally as vs Leeds. Without a creative midfield and withouit crosses, it becomes difficult for any striker to score. Playing a mix of Maguire, Nuhui and May out wide is not going to get us anywhere.

I could go with that, though I suspect he won't leave out May and will probably pair him with the fat boy

I don't understand why people are calling Taylor-Fletcher fat, he might not be a youngster but he didn't look overweight when he came on last Saturday.