Wage and Ticket Caps

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Guest Mancunian_Owl

With all the talk of FFP this month as we all eagerly await the fines that will be handed out, this is surely the stick to beat clubs into playing by the rules.

However could the League look another way at it? By following other sports who have salary and ticket caps for their clubs?

If clubs were limited to spending £10 million a year in wages in the Football league, surely this would prevent clubs abusing the system to sign a couple of ex-prem players in on silly wages (Leon Best last season)?

Alternatively to prevent high-ticket prices clouding up the the FFP could the league set a maximum ticket price for Adults and Concessions for Football games, capping it at £30 a ticket in the Championship. Whilst SWFC is not a bad culprit in this, I do know a lot of mates who are sick of paying£45 for Championship level football.

A wage cap is illegal if it's on an individual but they could do it for a club (like in rugby.) I've thought this for years, why don't they have a formula which takes into account average attendance or turnover or something and times it by a fiure to get a wage cap? This way "small" clubs can't spend more than they earn (like Pompey for example.)

Guest Mancunian_Owl

A wage cap is illegal if it's on an individual but they could do it for a club (like in rugby.) I've thought this for years, why don't they have a formula which takes into account average attendance or turnover or something and times it by a fiure to get a wage cap? This way "small" clubs can't spend more than they earn (like Pompey for example.)

To be fair I think this is what the FFP is trying to be.

However the problem is Ticket Prices will go up as they try and squeeze more out of fans to pay for higher wages.

I would be happy to see...

All clubs operating on a strict PAYE system to for all directors and staff.

An end to disgustingly high ticket prices.

The FA taking back control of the game with the emphasis on a fairer distribution of external income.

The creation of a 100 team league structure (5 x 20 teams) with a cup competition for each of the lower leagues with guaranteed promotion for the winners.

Fixture programming to be cognisant of the demographic factors effecting fans travel.

The FL to have variable membership fees based on based on  individual clubs Income, Turnover, Profit and (reasonable) Loss.

An in depth review of refereeing and adjudication. With some European games having a referee, 2 x Assistants, 2 goal line persons, an Assessor and an Electric board man and 2 in reserve ... Nine in total why are they so under employed, the mind boggles why it takes 2 minutes to take a corner where the referee has to have three stabs at telling players not to pull, push and grab shirts...Let them take the corner and award the free kick if this happens to be a pen then so be it.

The fit and proper persons test ... Any prospective new owner must pay a hefty fee or bond to meet FL & FA requirements commensurate with their investment.

An end to the 'Special rules' of financial governance of football when faced with insurmountable debt....Pecking order of HMRC, staff redundancies, Community invoices,  other businesses including football debt.

The promised trickle down promised by Sky and the Premier League has not happened. The game is not safe in their hands. The Politicians intervention promised by former Sports minister Cabourn has not happened; I wonder why ?          

I don't think that any club should be forced to have a ticket price or wage cap. It just stops any team speculating on being successful. If they have the right business model there is nothing wrong with it.

If they fail, i.e fail to be able to pay debtors then the punishments should be severe. Teams like Rotherham, Portsmouth, Southampton, Leicester etc who have gone into admin should be thrown out of the league and sanctions should be placed on the chairman and board of directors.

Football is a business and clubs should be treated as such. 

Guest Mancunian_Owl

I don't think that any club should be forced to have a ticket price or wage cap. It just stops any team speculating on being successful. If they have the right business model there is nothing wrong with it.

If they fail, i.e fail to be able to pay debtors then the punishments should be severe. Teams like Rotherham, Portsmouth, Southampton, Leicester etc who have gone into admin should be thrown out of the league and sanctions should be placed on the chairman and board of directors.

Football is a business and clubs should be treated as such. 

Your final line is my biggest concern Football has only recently become a business, it has been and in my mind should always be a sport.

Your final line is my biggest concern Football has only recently become a business, it has been and in my mind should always be a sport.

I wish it was just a sport, but when i'm paying £500+ to watch them at home and god know what to watch them away, it is a business.

I think in the long run it is better for us the supporter if clubs treat it as such.

The moment a player started earning more than a "reasonable" amount, say £100k a week ( ridiculous I know ) then the window of opportunity to cap wages slammed shut

Players earn a lot more than that now, and so if you start capping salaries, the big name players who people pay their admission/sky TV prices to watch, will dig their heels in and say "we're not playing then"  it'll just never happen

Personally I wouldn't mind if they all f@cked off and lower paid, less talented but honest British cloggers made up the top division for £15 a ticket again, but it's never going to be the case.

The moment a player started earning more than a "reasonable" amount, say £100k a week ( ridiculous I know ) then the window of opportunity to cap wages slammed shut

Players earn a lot more than that now, and so if you start capping salaries, the big name players who people pay their admission/sky TV prices to watch, will dig their heels in and say "we're not playing then"  it'll just never happen

Personally I wouldn't mind if they all f@cked off and lower paid, less talented but honest British cloggers made up the top division for £15 a ticket again, but it's never going to be the case.

I have no problem with the players, it's not their fault, it's the cretins that run the clubs who are paying them who are at fault.