We're losing the fans

Who's gonna want to buy a team we're there gonna have to put in a small fortune to get it even close to what we know we are capable of?

It's only going to take a few million to make the club more appealing to buyers

Bit of a contradiction there within your own post.

FFP is being underestimated by most fans. If the FL stick to their guns on this half of the clubs in The Championship will be severely hamstrung for 18 months .

Clubs like Bournemouth, Forest and Watford will surely fail it.

I think you are right about apathy but:-

2010/11 15th League One

2011/12 2nd League One

2012/13 18th in Championship

2013/14 16th in Championship

There is a good chance that this season will see further improvement. All of it done whilst stabilising the clubs finances and reducing the losses year on year.

We are certainly more likely to find a buyer than we were 4 years ago and he has increased the chances year on year.

He's doing a good job.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

FFP will do the square root of flip all.

The only purpose it serves currently is to act as a ready made reason for chairmen to resist spending.

As it happens, I don't blame mandaric for not spending what he is unwilling to / we can't afford. I just wish we were an attractive enough proposition for some other investment.

It is getting to the point where something drastic might need to happen to inject life into us, such as a new ground. However the only way that would happen is if the council were to subsidise one for us and the snorters to share.

FFP is being underestimated by most fans. If the FL stick to their guns on this half of the clubs in The Championship will be severely hamstrung for 18 months .

2010/11 15th League One

2011/12 2nd League One

There is a good chance that this season will see further improvement. All of it done whilst stabilising the clubs finances and reducing the losses year on year.

We are certainly more likely to find a buyer than we were 4 years ago and he has increased the chances year on year.

He's doing a good job.

Good post and spot on

Competent chairman and competent manager.

We are a lot better than we were

That said there was not much worse we could have got so it was pretty reasonable to expect an improvement.

It is is however as boring as hell and with so many more leisure choices on offer now that are cheaper and frankly better Wednesday and lower league football in general needs to wake up.

I believe that MM has already made a large financial commitment to the club, using the money he received from the sale of Leicester in stabilising then rebuilding the club from the foundations up with the investment in the academy and the scouting, both of which had been neglected for decades.

Why no one is tempted to buy the club?, I have no idea, the only thing I can think of is the Hillsborough inquiry, so the sooner that is completed the better.

There are only three ways a football club can generate money and that is by utilising the ground 12 months of the year, Sky money! and the sale of players.

I cannot for the life of me see how we can utilise the ground better in it's present condition, I for one would be happy to see the club move to a new stadium at some time in the future,we are at least 2 years away from a realistic attempt at promotion to the land of milk & Honey, so that only leaves the sale of players, with Westwood being the only genuine asset we have to generate sufficient funds to reinvest in better players.

For the first time in years I think I will pick and choose games next year. I have a 200 mile round trip and the kids are at an age where they want to do other things with mates.

Can't justify £500.

As much as I love wednesday it's just boring now, and the club has zero ambition.

2010/11 15th League One

2011/12 2nd League One

He's doing a good job.

I mean it only going to take a few mil to make us more appealing to buyers. Obviously a new buyer going to have to put a lot of money in to get us to what we can be, but they are more likely to do this when we have a decent team, updated facilities and a large home crowd. It'd be a base for them to build on, not starting from square one

For the first time in years I think I will pick and choose games next year. I have a 200 mile round trip and the kids are at an age where they want to do other things with mates.

Can't justify £500.

As much as I love wednesday it's just boring now, and the club has zero ambition.

This is what I mean about losing the fans, soon we could be like Birmingham where it looks like their ground is less than half full if the club doesn't entice them back

Guest Gazzaswfc

Did not go to Norwich & Ipswich games & Don't go to away games anymore the cost of football is gettin worse plus the lack of ambition is another factor I can see us never gettin back to prem if Iam being honest then even if you get to prem the cost is even worse football is a business I understand that but it's gettin taken away from the workin man/woman

Can't justify £500.

Yep, just up the road from you and it is getting to be a trial to get up and go on a Saturday knowing I've got loads of other stuff to do or miss out on doing some of the things I really enjoy.

More out of duty at the moment and I fully appreciate that the money isn't there, that we are improving year on year etc... etc...

It is getting bloody hard though...!

Won't be going next Tuesday even though have STs because it is a pain in the bum getting there midweek and frankly can't be bothered for a game against Bournemouth.

Guest Gershwin

Post 26 is spot on about character building supporting Wednesday. Not sure what one or two posters on this thread are on about. Losing fans?

Over 90% of all football fans don’t expect to see their team win regularly. Except for that day in August, before a ball has been kicked, when the heart rules the head. Or maybe until the following Saturday, if they kick off with a win. Or if they’ve taken too much Cavonia cough medicine.

This expecting to win business is what girlie, softie sorts do. Fans who support certain London clubs and who sip lattes before games. And, these days there’s a northern outpost of this southern softie-ness, 35 miles west of Sheffield. Bet I’m not the only Owls fan who remembers Manctown being a northern city. Real fans, hewn from Pennine rock, don’t expect to see their team win every game. They turn up anyway.

Winning is not what football is about for most fans. It’s certainly not the Wednesday way.

The OP is on the wrong track with his ‘losing the fans’ post. He’s not checked the facts. Seeing Wednesday today is like watching a combination of Real Madrid and Barcelona compared to the Owls teams of the recent past. Very recent, say 2001-2011 (let’s leave the 1970’s for now). In this recent decade, the club also had a player merry-go-round. Same with managers. Same with chairmen. Club nearly went bust. In the (old) 3rd division a few seasons. Trying to get in it most of the other seasons. Even had one season trying to get into (old) 4th division.

Although the memories have been numbed by the passage of time, the truth is that this was a wretched decade to peer out from the terraces at Hillsborough. So, what? Look at the attendance figs.

Despite such misery on (and off) the pitch, Wednesday’s gates largely averaged well over 20K. This is over 20,000+ proper northern, non-softie football fans. Losing fans! What? You can’t lose these sorts of people. You don’t go through this sort of hell just to pack it up after a goal less draw or two. These are the people you want with you in a fight or on a polar expedition in a blizzard. You just can’t lose them. They’re un-losable.

The Wednesday way is to tease. Put together a winning side for a few seasons. Look capable for a while. Push up the league. This is the tease. Let inexperienced Wednesday fans THINK this is what supporting the Owls is about. Wiser Owls know better.

If I’ve got a gripe with our Serbian chairman, it’s that I think he’s in danger of losing sight of the Wednesday way. Not only have we had a promotion in the past 3 years, but I no longer go to Hillsborough expecting to see the Owls lose.

If he’s not careful, after stabilising the club, Milan Mandaric will have us dangerously close to having illusions about promotion to the daft wages division. It’ll be lattes in the main stand next……oh, no, not already.

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Yawn = Owlstalk does not represent the vast majority of Fans just the ones who like to whine a lot.

SWFC Mid Table, called it at the start of the year, if anyone thinks we are "better" than this they need their head examining.

We sort out our academy, sort out our scouting networking and we spend a good number of years rebuilding the structure around the club to actually be long term sustainable on a Footballing front.

Not just go out and buy 50 squillion dollars worth of Italian sh*te to try and make a mad grab towards the prem. Teams like Swansea and Southampton have spent years putting their academys and scouting network in place before they got any returns. People forget until 2 years ago we didnt have a development team. 

Come and support the boys but dont whinge and whine because we are not turning over every team at Hillsborough. Some of you are starting to sound like Man shi**y fans complaining about not winning every trophy out there.

we had 20k Saturday and that was bumped up by a good Norwich following.

WE play an effective game away from home but do the same at home 

a chairman that "saved us" and tells "porkies" to keep us appeased every now and then

and the major reason is the price. and that's a Country wide thing not just us.

20 odd quid for 90 minutes or go to watch a 90 minute film for less than half the price and get entertained

The way we are playing at home at the moment, watching paint dry would be more entertaining

Yep, just up the road from you and it is getting to be a trial to get up and go on a Saturday knowing I've got loads of other stuff to do or miss out on doing some of the things I really enjoy.

More out of duty at the moment and I fully appreciate that the money isn't there, that we are improving year on year etc... etc...

It is getting bloody hard though...!

Won't be going next Tuesday even though have STs because it is a pain in the bum getting there midweek and frankly can't be bothered for a game against Bournemouth.

It's hard Mate.

I haven't supported wednesday for 40 years for the "glory"...! i've had some great times as well as the depressing

drives back over the M62 but it's getting to be a chore now.

My lad got his first ST 10 years ago when he was 4, but tbh he would rather go and play golf or be with his mates

on a sat afternoon, he'd never admit that but it's just obvious...

I desperately want us to do well, I'm not expecting any trophies in the next 50 years but i just want to be able to watch

with a bit of pride..feeling like the club is showing some ambition, not least to the 1000's of fans who pay good money

and put lots of effort in going to the games.

Guest Mancunian_Owl

It's hard Mate.

I haven't supported wednesday for 40 years for the "glory"...! i've had some great times as well as the depressing

drives back over the M62 but it's getting to be a chore now.

My lad got his first ST 10 years ago when he was 4, but tbh he would rather go and play golf or be with his mates

on a sat afternoon, he'd never admit that but it's just obvious...

I desperately want us to do well, I'm not expecting any trophies in the next 50 years but i just want to be able to watch

with a bit of pride..feeling like the club is showing some ambition, not least to the 1000's of fans who pay good money

and put lots of effort in going to the games.

Do you not think every other fan in every other league feels the same way.

I might want a mansion, with a ferrari and pet tiger. Doesn't mean I'm going to consider my life a failure because I have a three bed, an Astra and a dog.

Reality mate, get used to it.

We are where we are, we cannot win every game, and some people need to genuine strap on a pair before crying about us not winning a game of football. 

If your lad doesnt want to watch SWFC then so be it, some kids aren't into it. I am and so is my daughter but even she now comments on the whining fans who sit around us constantly bellyaching that we are not 3 nil up already.

not many of my friends use OT as far as i know.

BUT what i do know is that 90% of past season ticket holder friends of mine dont bother AT ALL, apart from the odd big game or Livingsocial offer.

Look around, it must be the same for all.

Guest AbbeyOwl

I will go come what may but what as a casual fan what is there to make you want to go to hillsbrough on a match day.

Is it cheap - No

Are they going for Promotion - No

Are they fighting relegation - No

Are they playing exciting football - No

Is there some sort of new hope - No

Is there a great match day experience - No

We are sadly treading water and who wants to pay and see that

How can you be a casual fan, its a contradiction in terms, fan is short for Fanatic. It like one of those Islamic Fanatics saying I was thinking of going to Syria this weekend but my Mum is having a Pork Roast so I decided to do that instead haha. Maybe the term should be follower, you follow results sometimes listen on radio, sometimes go to games, you follow them but aren't fanaical