We're losing the fans

Hillsborough is capable of such an amazing atmosphere, just recently the Reading game had a fantastic atmosphere. But we're losing it. The quality of the football it causing a lot of fans to pack match days in and we are losing something special. Milan, I know your looking to sell up, but can't you see that in our current state no one will want to buy Wednesday. At present we have 18-20,000 average, a crap atmosphere, outdated facilitates and a sub-par team (except Westwood, Loovens and Lees). Who's gonna want to buy a team we're there gonna have to put in a small fortune to get it even close to what we know we are capable of? It's only going to take a few million to make the club more appealing to buyers, and we know you have the money, even if you choose not to put it into the club. Add a few updates to the stadium like a lick of paint and a new scoreboard and one or two marquee signings like maybe a Joe Garner (or someone like him before everyone starts) and who knows, you might even turn a profit on Wednesday

Edited by owls24

Can see why people are staying away. I'd be tempted if I didn't have a season ticket. The performances have been dull, the crowds have been low, the standard of attacking players is poor (albeit the defence very good), and the fact we seem content with this poor home records annoys me.

Can see why people are staying away. I'd be tempted if I didn't have a season ticket. The performances have been dull, the crowds have been low, the standard of attacking players is poor (albeit the defence very good), and the fact we seem content with this poor home records annoys me.

Exactly. How does he ever hope to find a buyer with the club in this state? If he's hoping to sell us based on our legacy along, he can think again. A 14 year absence from the premier league has pretty much demolished that. Hopefully the inevitable thumping from Bournemouth on Tuesday will finally open his eyes.

Said the same.

We've won once at home all season, the football is boring and showing no sign of improving, in fact the opposite. If I didn't have a season ticket I'd be thinking long and hard about forking out that amount of money for me and my son to watch us against Bournemouth on Tuesday.

Lots of apathy I'm afraid. 

Think a lot of fans are frankly a bit bored with treading water in the Championship for what seems the umpteenth time since we were relegated from the Prem in 2000. 

Milan has got us so far, but something quite drastic is going to have to happen for us to start properly competing at this level. 

I'll continue to go through thick and thin, not cause I have this "I'm a true fan" complex but cause I love this club and will continue to support them when they need it most, plus I love the whole match day experience (usually pub, match and moan atm), but I can definitely see why people just don't want to go. This has got to stop, we have the potential to be one of the 3 or 4 biggest clubs outside the prem and we are losing something special here

I'll continue to go through thick and thin, not cause I have this "I'm a true fan" complex but cause I love this club and will continue to support them when they need it most, plus I love the whole match day experience (usually pub, match and moan atm), but I can definitely see why people just don't want to go. This has got to stop, we have the potential to be one of the 3 or 4 biggest clubs outside the prem and we are losing something special 

Lots of apathy I'm afraid. 

Think a lot of fans are frankly a bit bored with treading water in the Championship for what seems the umpteenth time since we were relegated from the Prem in 2000. 

Milan has got us so far, but something quite drastic is going to have to happen for us to start properly competing at this level. 

APATHY is the word i would use fans who up to a few yrs never missed home games now ,and i know a few now  go to a few when asked why say its too expensive and its not entertaining enough ,while ever we are not scoring its going to get worse under 18,000 before xmas.

I was sat next to a lot of part timers against Norwich. Most fans round me were still asking about the Antonio money. I had totally forgot that there was another 700k to be spent. However if/when the question is put to MM he will talk about FFP or say that the money was used on bringing Hope , Drenthe and GTF in.

I was sat next to a lot of part timers against Norwich. Most fans round me were still asking about the Antonio money. I had totally forgot that there was another 700k to be spent. However if/when the question is put to MM he will talk about FFP or say that the money was used on bringing Hope , Drenthe and GTF in.

F F P november 17th forest hit with transfer embargo been told.

we had 20k Saturday and that was bumped up by a good Norwich following.

WE play an effective game away from home but do the same at home 

a chairman that "saved us" and tells "porkies" to keep us appeased every now and then

and the major reason is the price. and that's a Country wide thing not just us.

20 odd quid for 90 minutes or go to watch a 90 minute film for less than half the price and get entertained

Losing them? We only just got them back to be fair! Hardly like the numbers are dwindling, just returning to what they were.

I'd say ticket prices are the issue here.[/

Bloody premier league driving the price of football up. It doesn't have to be this expensive, but they have made it like that. Look at how cheap German football is, and they have some of the best teams and players in the world. It's sheer greed from clubs/players/sky that's causing a rise in glory hunting arm chair supporters and the decline in attendances nationwide

Said the same.

We've won once at home all season, the football is boring and showing no sign of improving, in fact the opposite. If I didn't have a season ticket I'd be thinking long and hard about forking out that amount of money for me and my son to watch us against Bournemouth on Tuesday.

expect Tues Next week to be the lowest gate of the season so far 17,400 or lower.

Guest Gershwin

OP- other than stating the obvious about the Reading game, not sure what you’re really saying other than hoping that the club owner reads your posts and takes your financial advice.

Of course attendances are not approaching 30K. The Reading gate was achieved on the back of ticket reductions and a big club in town. Given Wednesday are currently a mid-table 2nd tier team, a bit higher than 22K seems about right, good even. If the team closes the gap on the pack above, attendances will rise. Occasional attenders will turn up.

Not sure where ‘we’re losing the fans’ comes from. Fans come and go in line with league position. To be honest, given where Wednesday have been these past 15 years, it’s remarkable that so many of us keep turning up.

Since the most recent exit from the top division in 2000, Wednesday have spent 3 seasons in the (old) 3rd division and a good many of the other 11 seasons trying to get into it, including the past 2. Yet 20K+ of us daft buggers keep trudging down.

All this losing the fans business depends where you set out. If your timescale begins a month ago, say 20th Sept 2014, then, sure, fans are staying away. Most Owlstalkers have been around a bit longer than a month, however. Wednesday’s average home league gate this season is 22,308. I suspect it’ll finish a bit higher than that. This compares well with most of the past 15 years.

By the way, the average league attendance at Hillsborough the last time (1999-2000) the Owls played in the top flight was 26,800, so maybe keep the current attendance figures in perspective. Incidentally, Wednesday’s home attendances this season ranks 6th in the division. Not too shabby, all things considered. Not really much evidence of ‘losing the fans’.

we wish, be straight to servicing the debts that im sure we wont use it to buy anyone else

its nothing new re losing fans, we have opportunities to build on the fanbase once or twice a season through either discounted games eg Reading or through important fixtures eg Charlton in the cup last season, Wycombe game etc and time after time the club doesnt grasp the nettle and do something about it.

Living overseas i only really these days get the chance to watch the games online but even these now tbh if i get a better offer will do something else.

As much as SG must be praised for making us at least competitive at the same time he is responsible for the awful entertainment due to his tactics.

I will go come what may but what as a casual fan what is there to make you want to go to hillsbrough on a match day.

Is it cheap - No

Are they going for Promotion - No

Are they fighting relegation - No

Are they playing exciting football - No

Is there some sort of new hope - No

Is there a great match day experience - No

We are sadly treading water and who wants to pay and see that

an important segment to throw in also is that most 35+ year old supporters have actually seen us being actually a good team full of stars.

Whilst the younger fans have never seen this and may find it easier to keep going as they didnt experience this, for us that did those memories however far away they are now still hold strong treading water in the second tier is not going to get anyone excited. After l1 promotion we had the chance to push on twice but due to finances all the forward momentum was lost.

From a financial point of view for MM we would probably be better being in a relegation scrap to keep interest high... apathy kills you in any business and we are beyond apathy now as a business and customers.