Would you take a chance on Drenthe in January?

there's been talk of him not tracking back and the LB/RB having to be careful if he's in front of them, but in the games I've seen, he's looked strongest taking the ball well within our half and counter attacking and stretching the opposition...

Particularly at Brentford, we under the cosh a bit, and he had a couple of great runs that relieved the pressure....

there's been talk of him not tracking back and the LB/RB having to be careful if he's in front of them, but in the games I've seen, he's looked strongest taking the ball well within our half and counter attacking and stretching the opposition...

Particularly at Brentford, we under the cosh a bit, and he had a couple of great runs that relieved the pressure....

Drenthe has played left back before, so he should know how to defend and protect the left back.

Guest s11 owl

if we were to impose ourselfs more on the game by employing our more talented players , the opposition would be less confident and not grow into the game and thus be less confident.

goals change games and whilst we can only defend for so long we have to take the game to the opposition, something we're not doing at the moment.

Edited by s11 owl

Guest Gershwin

Not sure I understand all this negativity about Drenthe. The OP is about us signing him permanently in January.

Why January, by the way? Was not the loan deal with Reading until March 2015? Given what’s just gone on at Reading between player and manager, I wouldn’t have thought that Drenthe is especially wanted back at Reading. Unless Wednesday send him back, I’d have thought he was at S6 until March next year.

None of us know what Wednesday will be paying for Drenthe’s services. Not a lot I would have thought. Reading signed him on a free, so he’s probably managed to squeeze a good wages deal from them. But Wednesday have effectively taken on an unwanted player. Very unwanted. I’m sure Reading will have paid for this arrangement: they’ll pick up the tab for most of Drenthe’s wages, with Wednesday chipping in a relatively small amount.

As I said in post 22, what’s the problem for Wednesday? The Dutchman really has got ability and he could deliver it at S6. If so, we get a few good games from him, at little cost. If the player doesn’t come up to scratch, he goes back to Reading without costing Wednesday much, even in wages.

If Drenthe does deliver whilst at Wednesday, he might seek another club, but I’d have thought he wouldn’t command a high transfer fee given his troubled history. Might be affordable by Wednesday. He went to Reading on a free, so they won’t be itching to get a chunk of a big transfer fee back.

Can’t see how Drenthe is a problem for us. If the player comes good, we’ve got a great result. If he doesn’t, he’s not cost us anything and he disappears from Hillsborough.

Guest wilyfox

We've basically replaced JJ with a better model..(if we sign him)

This ^, in theory, if he weighs in with the odd goal or assist - JJ managed that. Drenthe hasn't had starts yet, but he's getting 30-45mins coming on against tiring opposition; that's long enough to make something happen, given the type of player that he is. Much of his game is running at the opposition with bursts of speed and acceleration. Nigh on impossible to do that for 90mins anyway.

He tired early in the second half. The run out should have done his fitness a lot more good than bringing him on late in the game and the goal should help his self confidence although he doesn't seem lacking in that respect.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

We did well in first half mainly due to Drenthe's penetration, pity he tired in second half but he made all the difference in the first, we should have gone in at least 2 up.

Will have helped his fitness a great deal too.