Famous old terraces.

.................stopped reading

Not surprised. Blinkered ( s11) owl with head in clouds, who thinks wednesday really are Massive. Prob never been out of Sheffield other than a school trip to magna or that real pit in Wakefield. Bless. We really do have some moronic nobz that follow our club. Even if the ones on here follow via the vidi-printer. Edited by Semedo's ferret

Guest s11 owl

Not surprised. Blinkered ( s11) owl with head in clouds, who thinks wednesday really are MASSIVE. Prob never been out of Sheffield other than a school trip to magna or that real pit in Wakefield. Bless. We really do have some moronic nobz that follow our club. Even if the ones on here follow via the vidi-printer.

only ever viewed anfield from the away end, and we lost every time, but will still go again. Going there's just not that much of a big deal

magna was the the rolling mills when i was at school son.

ask your dad.....if you know who it is

only ever viewed anfield from the away end, and we lost every time, but will still go again. Going there's just not that much of a big deal

magna was the the rolling mills when i was at school son.

ask your dad.....if you know who it is

Caught a big'n this time. Not bad for someone that stopped reading after the first few words...

Oh, c'mon - this  was settled long ago. But the thing is what era are you talking about?

Pre 1940 it was all about how many you could cram in. I have it, on very good authority, that they would just let as many as turned up through the turnstiles and bugger the consequences.

But why bother? Clearly the uncovered Hillsborough Kop was an edifice to rival (in impressiveness, if not size) the Colosseum or the Circus Maximus of ancient Rome.

Rip off that awful roof, say I, and let's find out who the REAL Wednesdayites are! (Also, we would need to be standing as sitting down i the rain is sh!te)

We of the EBRA needed no forkin roof.

Guest s11 owl

Having recently had a Tour around Anfield, the guide said that the (liverpool) Kop used to be the largest behind goal standing terrace in Europe. With a 28500 capacity in its prime. Now I'm no stadium expert but immediately had doubts on that bit of info. Not the amount, but the biggest bit. Found this on some site saying what was the most jaw dropping, awe inspiring terrace in Britain, other than Anfields Kop or Manures stretford end. Obviously one persons choice, but our Kop came 2nd behind villas Holte end. The Holte end had a 31000 capacity.

2. The Kop, Hillsborough

Borussia Dortmund’s ‘Wall’ can f.uck right off – this Yorkshire behemoth came first. Look at it. Just look at it. Imagine you’re the opposition goal keeper and you have to walk towards this magnificent barsteward of a terrace, packed with fans. There are other, more famous Kops, but the Hillsborough Kop’s scale deserves respect. It was flipping MASSIVE.

5th South Bank Molinuex

4th fulwell End Roker Park

3rd The Jungle Celtic park

2nd The Kop Hillsborough

1st Holte End Villa Park.

Anyone know what was the capacity of our Kop in its MASSIVE prime?

a follower,      a numpty ...............or as in my day what we called a knobhead

In the 60's our capacity was 65,000 as late as the time after the North stand was built.

Now, the North Stand accommodated 10,024  and the Leppings Lane all standing area would hold about 15,000. Assuming the old South   Stand and Terrace would hold a further 12,000, that would mean that our Kop in 65K capacity days would be housing somewhere in the region of 28,000 fans.

The kop capacity had been reduced to 21,000 well before the West and South redevelopment giving a ground capacity of 58,000.

This raises a couple of questions in my mind...

1. How many were on the Kop on Feb 17th 1934 when we achieved our record attendance of 72,841 ?
  2. What would our new Kop have held under the regulation in place as of circa 1934 ?      

Oh, c'mon - this  was settled long ago. But the thing is what era are you talking about?

Pre 1940 it was all about how many you could cram in. I have it, on very good authority, that they would just let as many as turned up through the turnstiles and bugger the consequences.

But why bother? Clearly the uncovered Hillsborough Kop was an edifice to rival (in impressiveness, if not size) the Colosseum or the Circus Maximus of ancient Rome.

Rip off that awful roof, say I, and let's find out who the REAL Wednesdayites are! (Also, we would need to be standing as sitting down i the rain is sh!te)

Idiot post.

Have to query the Liverpool claim having stood there when Wednesday played there in the 60's. From a personal view the biggest I've been in is the Holte End. We had all of this end.when we played Crystal Palace in a Cup Replay in the 70's. One of the best atmospheres I've heard at a Wednesday game. we also shared this end with Everton for a Cup Semi and had all of it when we played Chelsea in the 66 Semi. The South Bank at wolves was also a MASSIVE end but only half covered which is why the Wolves fans claimed the North Bank end of the ground which was smaller but fully covered. Not sure where we fit into all of this as an uncovered Kop as it only held roughly 18.5k  Fully covered it raised the capacity to 22.5k. Dortmund capacity is around 25k and still all fully covered standing. With regard to Charlton the MASSIVE terrace on the side was not all that popular the Charlton fans preferring the covered standing behind the net on the East side of the ground. 

I was at that 1966 semi I always thought Chelsea had the Holte End.  

Oh, c'mon - this was settled long ago. But the thing is what era are you talking about?

I want some of what this shakespearian has inhaled.