Famous old terraces.

Charlton's east terrace was officially the largest holding 45k

That's insane.

When looking at villa parks Holte End, found a piece from the Birmingham council that approved expansion of the stadium to a 104'000 capacity. This was in the 70s. Obviously it never happened but shows the level of support they believed could tap into. Being central, Villa had its fair share of cup semi finals and would fancy itself as competition for Wembleys finals and internationals.

The un covered Kop held 16,800.so was quite a leap when expanded.

The Holte end was2nd in size at that time,but from memory only the back half was covered.

Pre the Safety in Sportsgrounds act,Simon Inglis reckons the south bank at Wolves was the largest capacity and I can. quite believe it.

it must have held more than 16800.......the ground capacity in the early 60s was 65k they couldnt have got 49k in the rest of the ground.

45k roger me, why?

In the 40's they were one of the biggest clubs around. Regularly drew over 70k.

And I could be wrong, but I think they were one of the few clubs (between 1945 and the start of the Prem) to average more than over 40k per game throughout an entire season. That was pretty impressive.

Unfortunately for them, the 50's saw Charlton go into decline, and then the 60's saw West Ham's increased success and they never again hit their 1940's level of support.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

In the 40's they were one of the biggest clubs around. Regularly drew over 70k.

And I could be wrong, but I think they were one of the few clubs (between 1945 and the start of the Prem) to average more than over 40k per game throughout an entire season. That was pretty impressive.

Unfortunately for them, the 50's saw Charlton go into decline, and then the 60's saw West Ham's increased success and they never again hit their 1940's level of support.

Werent Charlton originally located in another part of London ?