Famous old terraces.

Having recently had a Tour around Anfield, the guide said that the (liverpool) Kop used to be the largest behind goal standing terrace in Europe. With a 28500 capacity in its prime. Now I'm no stadium expert but immediately had doubts on that bit of info. Not the amount, but the biggest bit. Found this on some site saying what was the most jaw dropping, awe inspiring terrace in Britain, other than Anfields Kop or Manures stretford end. Obviously one persons choice, but our Kop came 2nd behind villas Holte end. The Holte end had a 31000 capacity.

2. The Kop, Hillsborough

Borussia Dortmund’s ‘Wall’ can f.uck right off – this Yorkshire behemoth came first. Look at it. Just look at it. Imagine you’re the opposition goal keeper and you have to walk towards this magnificent barsteward of a terrace, packed with fans. There are other, more famous Kops, but the Hillsborough Kop’s scale deserves respect. It was flipping massive.

5th South Bank Molinuex

4th fulwell End Roker Park

3rd The Jungle Celtic park

2nd The Kop Hillsborough

1st Holte End Villa Park.

Anyone know what was the capacity of our Kop in its massive prime?

Edited by Semedo's ferret

The un covered Kop held 16,800.so was quite a leap when expanded.

The Holte end was2nd in size at that time,but from memory only the back half was covered.

Pre the Safety in Sportsgrounds act,Simon Inglis reckons the south bank at Wolves was the largest capacity and I can. quite believe it.

The un covered Kop held 16,800.so was quite a leap when expanded.

The Holte end was2nd in size at that time,but from memory only the back half was covered.

Pre the Safety in Sportsgrounds act,Simon Inglis reckons the south bank at Wolves was the largest capacity and I can. quite believe it.

The South bank was really big, I remember when it was split between home and away fans.

OldMolineux11.jpg

Edited by TaxiMark

That terrace at the Valley before the ground was abandonded and then re-developed was enormous. As high as our uncovered kop at its highest point, and ran the length of the pitch. Must have held well over 30, 000

I went to valley in early 80s and though I don't think all of it was in use back then it was biggest terrace I've ever seen.

Only one close I would say was Kippax at Man City.

Have to query the Liverpool claim having stood there when Wednesday played there in the 60's. From a personal view the biggest I've been in is the Holte End. We had all of this end.when we played Crystal Palace in a Cup Replay in the 70's. One of the best atmospheres I've heard at a Wednesday game. we also shared this end with Everton for a Cup Semi and had all of it when we played Chelsea in the 66 Semi. The South Bank at wolves was also a massive end but only half covered which is why the Wolves fans claimed the North Bank end of the ground which was smaller but fully covered. Not sure where we fit into all of this as an uncovered Kop as it only held roughly 18.5k  Fully covered it raised the capacity to 22.5k. Dortmund capacity is around 25k and still all fully covered standing. With regard to Charlton the massive terrace on the side was not all that popular the Charlton fans preferring the covered standing behind the net on the East side of the ground. 

Simon Inglis book, 1983.

has the South Bank at 22,000 hut Wolves were in freefall with two sides ultimately closed for saftey reasons and almust certain reduced capacity on the South Bank.

In 1983 ,the Holte End is listed as the largest at 22,600, so come our upgrade to 22,000 it may well have edged capacity as it was a well maintained ground but not fully covered,hence ours being the largest covered stand.

On a wolves forum again pre the 1977 Act,the south bank actually extended round towards the stand on the left and held 33,000.

Guest Barney's Bar

That terrace at the Valley before the ground was abandonded and then re-developed was enormous. As high as our uncovered kop at its highest point, and ran the length of the pitch. Must have held well over 30, 000

It was enormous,with tree's n bushes growing out of it.

Depends what moment in time these terraces are measured at.  Before the Ibrox and Hillsbro disasters they just used to pile em in... I've experienced it.

The Wolves Kop was huge if you stood at the back.  As was the Holte End.  And Charltons east terrace....you could see St Pauls in the distance from the top.

They're prob the 3 biggest terraces I've stood on.  Hillsboro's Kop would have been roughly as big when it was squared off in 1986.      Simon Inglis was always THE ground expert...see post 14 above.

I've never stood on the Anfield Kop. I've been to Anfield 3 times though since 1970 and it honestly never looked as big as the others.   The Stretford end was never huge(it is now of course).  They had wooden seats at the back of it in the late 60's.

Juswt thought....largest terrace in Europe?

What about Queens Park who play at Hampden Park, Glasgow.  In Europe as far as I know.  Absolutely HHHHHUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE.

Edited by Lincs Owl

Depends what moment in time these terraces are measured at.  Before the Ibrox and Hillsbro disasters they just used to pile em in... I've experienced it.

The Wolves Kop was huge if you stood at the back.  As was the Holte End.  And Charltons east terrace....you could see St Pauls in the distance from the top.

They're prob the 3 biggest terraces I've stood on.  Hillsboro's Kop would have been roughly as big when it was squared off in 1986.      Simon Inglis was always THE ground expert...see post 14 above.

I've never stood on the Anfield Kop. I've been to Anfield 3 times though since 1970 and it honestly never looked as big as the others.   The Stretford end was never huge(it is now of course).  They had wooden seats at the back of it in the late 60's.

I stood on the Anfield Kop in 1991/92 and I was amazed how small it looked compared to ours, it was much smaller.

Why would any owls fan want to have a tour round anfield

For the same reasons as the supporters of ten other English clubs having a tour,and 3 coaches full of japanesee that were in the museum. Liverpool are Britain's most successful club. The stadium is full of history, the museum is a shrine to managers and players that won things. I'm no scouse lover, but appreciate a great successful Football club. Edited by Semedo's ferret