What's the worst ever managerial record at Sheffield Wednesday ?

The worst Wednesday manager of all time for me must be DANNY WILLIAMS because he managed to sell good 1st division players and replace them with dross from the lower leagues all this at the time we were a decent team in the league. What happened next everybody knows.

he was a shocker brian ,some of his signings beggered believe stevie downes,sammy todd,howard wilcockson being the stand outs .chuck in that he got rid of mccalliog,ritchie,megson,eustace,smith,ford ,fantham, megson ,mobley and it tells you all you need to know about the bloke .

In my 35 years watching Wednesday, Irvine is by far the worse manager we have had.

All managers get to the point where they can't get anything from the team, but this guy just bought dross and watched us get relegated and plunge down the next division. An honest man would have done the right thing and quit. This guy stayed for his payout. He was a disgrace.

Those saying Turner, have you forgotten how good Brunt and Whelan were? Turner signed players in league one that were better than the players some of our managers have signed in the Championship.

I bet Sturrock couldn't believe his luck when he saw the squad he had inherited.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Don't know who statistically was the worst, but for me it will always be Jones.

Never have I ever hated a manager so much, or felt so much apathy towards SWFC, as when he was in charge.

Even when we were languishing near the bottom of League 1 I didn't feel as much despar or hopelessness as I did under Jones.

Vile man. Crap manager.

he was a shocker brian ,some of his signings beggered believe stevie downes,sammy todd,howard wilcockson being the stand outs .chuck in that he got rid of mccalliog,ritchie,megson,eustace,smith,ford ,fantham, megson ,mobley and it tells you all you need to know about the bloke .

Guest zipzippy

Sturrocko and jones had very similar records and circumstances.

Both took over decent league 1 squads, went on fantastic runs to get us promoted, kept us in champ following season... Both sacked autumn of their 2nd full season in charge....

Yet no one has mentioned sturrock as one of our worst nanagers.

Burtonshaw n Irvine gotta be worst. Flipping hated Irvine how he talked up nediocre opposition.

Sturrocko and jones had very similar records and circumstances.

Both took over decent league 1 squads, went on fantastic runs to get us promoted, kept us in champ following season... Both sacked autumn of their 2nd full season in charge....

Yet no one has mentioned sturrock as one of our worst nanagers.

Burtonshaw n Irvine gotta be worst. Flipping hated Irvine how he talked up nediocre opposition.

irvine was brilliant on the football league show after the bournemouth defeat the other night saying how he had warned his side how good bournemouth were and how difficult a game it was going to be ....the bloke probably is a good coach but man management & motavational skills arnt his strong point ........as for sturrock he did ok under very difficult circumstances .

Guest zipzippy

My point was more about many fans claiming jones as one of our worst managers. Any manager who gets a side promoted then keeps em up can't be slated as a bad manager... Or are we resorting to judge a managers record on likeabilty with us fans?

My point was more about many fans claiming jones as one of our worst managers. Any manager who gets a side promoted then keeps em up can't be slated as a bad manager... Or are we resorting to judge a managers record on likeabilty with us fans?

Guest Distraught!

Howard Wilckson was the worst for me prior to him the players were all top draw

I take it that is supposed to say Howard Wilkinson!

Jeez, one of the worst managers Wednesday have had?

The guy came in, got us promoted in his first season (that also included decent cup runs in both the FA Cup and League Cup).

He made us one of the toughest sides to beat in the country without ever spending excessive amounts of money.

He made us capable of beating the Liverpool side of the mid eighties at Anfield.

He brought in players that were written off by other clubs and turned them into some of the best in land e.g. Chapman.

He got us Hirsty for around 200K.

Wilko was the ideal appointment to finish Big Jack's work. People doubted him when he was appointed but he proved inspirational.

Without the foundations that Big Jack and Wilko laid, there would never have been a Big Ron time at the club and therefore none of the early TF era either.

Eustace / Yorath / Irvine.

Eustace and Yorath managed the club when no cash was available for players, so kind of had an excuse, their squads were pants.

Irvine however, had cash to spend but the biggest impact he managed to make was with his bitterly disappointed phrase. Did a good job with his eyeliner and mascara though.

Wilson and Francis undid Ron's good squad building work.

Pleat over egged the pudding.

But for me a throw up between Turner and Jewel. I've never felt so much dread and doom as when them two clowns were in charge, even under myth that was Dave Jones

Guest Deleted member

you surprise me .....you must have seen williams & burtenshaw .

How bloody old do you think I am?? lol

(I do remember burtenshaw)

(Vaguely)

Len Ashurst is my first real memory as a manager

I take it that is supposed to say Howard Wilkinson!

Jeez, one of the worst managers Wednesday have had?

The guy came in, got us promoted in his first season (that also included decent cup runs in both the FA Cup and League Cup).

He made us one of the toughest sides to beat in the country without ever spending excessive amounts of money.

He made us capable of beating the Liverpool side of the mid eighties at Anfield.

He brought in players that were written off by other clubs and turned them into some of the best in land e.g. Chapman.

He got us Hirsty for around 200K.

Wilko was the ideal appointment to finish Big Jack's work. People doubted him when he was appointed but he proved inspirational.

Without the foundations that Big Jack and Wilko laid, there would never have been a Big Ron time at the club and therefore none of the early TF era either.

Nice rant, pity he was on about Howard Wilcockson the left back we signed from Doncaster. 

Guest Distraught!

Nice rant, pity he was on about Howard Wilcockson the left back we signed from Doncaster. 

Oh right, I had to go back several posts to conclude how that could possibly have fitted into a thread about the worst managerial records at Sheffield Wednesday.